• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you reconcile Science & Religion

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
The only way science and religion are compatible is if religion submits to science's explanation of the natural world. And then, as was pointed out in another thread, when religion makes claims about the supernatural, it provides no means to determine the validity of those claims.

IOW, as long as religion remains entirely personal and subjective, it "gets along" with science just fine.

Of course, it rarely does that.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
However, of course, many people disagree, and believe that just because we know how something works, it doesn't mean that god wasn't behind the process in the first place.

By the same token, it doesn't mean elves, fairies, or aliens weren't behind it all either.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
It's my opinion that when a scientific discovery is made explaining how something functions, we can toss out god as an explanationin attempting to describe that process or thing. However, of course, many people disagree, and believe that just because we know how something works, it doesn't mean that god wasn't behind the process in the first place. I'm wondering if anyone would like to comment so as to help me understand that logic that brings a person to that belief. I highly doubt I'll change my mind, but I do want to understand the opposing opinion.
I don't personally separate "the process" and Creator (god)... to me they are one in the same. (but that is the beauty of Pantheism/animism)

Also, religion for me isn't about explaining how the world works... but for finding my place in it. (culturally, idealistically and behaviorally)

Religion/faith sets the path that I walk... science shows me the world that I walk through.

wa:do