• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you meditate?

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I disagree. It comes unexpected. You have to really not look.

If you're not really looking, then how are you going to see what's there?
What's surprising is what's there all the time, we just don't see it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If you're not really looking, then how are you going to see what's there?
What's surprising is what's there all the time, we just don't see it.

I think we were using two meanings for 'looking' . Yours was the literal eyesight one, wheres mine was the searching one. My point was you have to relax for 'it' to come.

Martin

I think we were using two meanings for 'looking' . Yours was the literal eyesight one, wheres mine was the searching one. My point was you have to relax for 'it' to come.

No, I was talking metaphorically about looking, the same as you. Though the same is true literally.
Obviously there are different methods.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No, I was talking metaphorically about looking, the same as you. Though the same is true literally.
Obviously there are different methods.

I first noticed 'the harder you try, the harder it is' phenomenon while young, and it had to do with athletics. Track coaches are oft heard repeating 'Relax!' as are swim coaches. At first it seems counterproductive, but when the results come in, athletes soon learn to change their mind. There is a happy place there where productivity hits a peak, but then as you try to force it, the results go down.

So too with meditation. Another comparison is hatha yoga. When you push it, all you get is injured. In meditation, yes you have to sit straight, calm the breath, stay alert, but frantically seeking for results will get you nowhere.

So too for intuition and insight. I once asked my Guru how to distinguish between intuition, and just mulling it around intellectually to see what you get. His answer was simple. "Intuition comes unbidden." So too with light in the head ... just my experience, others may differ.

Best wishes.

Martin

I first noticed 'the harder you try, the harder it is' phenomenon while young, and it had to do with athletics. Track coaches are oft heard repeating 'Relax!' as are swim coaches. At first it seems counterproductive, but when the results come in, athletes soon learn to change their mind. There is a happy place there where productivity hits a peak, but then as you try to force it, the results go down.

So too with meditation. Another comparison is hatha yoga. When you push it, all you get is injured. In meditation, yes you have to sit straight, calm the breath, stay alert, but frantically seeking for results will get you nowhere.

So too for intuition and insight. I once asked my Guru how to distinguish between intuition, and just mulling it around intellectually to see what you get. His answer was simple. "Intuition comes unbidden." So too with light in the head ... just my experience, others may differ.

Best wishes.

I just look. It doesn't involve effort, it's driven by curiosity. For example when I walk by the sea, I look out for seals and porpoises. There is no real effort involved, just an element of mindfulness, remembering to look.
I think I'm agreeing with you, perhaps using different language.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have a different concept of meditation than rapture or Samadhi.Yeah, why not. Your mind is constantly analyzing what you are writing. That is awareness.

Not always. It's more "in the flow" and thinking, editing, etc comes after (ideally). But like meditation people can fall into thinking too much as they write. Takes practice. I write but don't use it as meditation. Haven't reached that point yet. Sitting I just started with other things.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, you have a point there. One can get into what you mention as 'the flow', and might not like what he/she had written. Othertimes, flow gets you the best writing.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
When I was Raelian I would do sensual meditations where my senses were all wrapped up and I sometimes could barely tell what I'm doing.

Now I like dry, long meditations. I think reading the Book of Mormon is like a long, barely noticeable meditation that helps a ton. I like to write books and I think I can take a year to spell out a book on a subject.

I don't know where else I can go to get more inspiration than that I've already explored a little.

I was about to post my own thread on this and then saw yours, so I will just share my practices here.

I perform transcendental meditation (stillness meditation) to empty ones mind and transcend the self (ego), this typically involves breathing, and merely counting the seconds of inhalation pausing and exhalation. I do this while sitting cross legged on my porch steps in the morning (most comfortable place in the house for this surprisingly. this in the morning before beginning my day, when I am being observant of my practices.

I have also practiced mindful meditation by slowing down my mind and breath, while conciously engaging in whatever activity it is I am being mindful of (Walking, eating, writing).

Recently I have begun dancing for meditative purposes, (I tend to listen to rhythmic drumming style music), and this has occasionally led to my sitting meditations to begin involving rocking or swaying. This rhythmic movement is especially beneficial as I am naturally a very anxious person, and this allows me to expend unneeded bodily energy, so that I may free my thoughts moreso, and settle into myself.