• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you meditate?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
When I was Raelian I would do sensual meditations where my senses were all wrapped up and I sometimes could barely tell what I'm doing.

Now I like dry, long meditations. I think reading the Book of Mormon is like a long, barely noticeable meditation that helps a ton. I like to write books and I think I can take a year to spell out a book on a subject.

I don't know where else I can go to get more inspiration than that I've already explored a little.

King Phenomenon

When I was Raelian I would do sensual meditations where my senses were all wrapped up and I sometimes could barely tell what I'm doing.

Now I like dry, long meditations. I think reading the Book of Mormon is like a long, barely noticeable meditation that helps a ton. I like to write books and I think I can take a year to spell out a book on a subject.

I don't know where else I can go to get more inspiration than that I've already explored a little.
I don't meditate but in my opinion the infinite universe would be a great source of inspiration for meditation.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I question meditation that justify ones own comfort and beliefs.

How does this meditation help?

King Phenomenon

I question meditation that justify ones own comfort and beliefs.

How does this meditation help?
I don't think there's a problem with meditating for yourself and who knows maybe he does meditate for others as well and he may even meditates just for the sake of meditation.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I don't think there's a problem with meditating for yourself and who knows maybe he does meditate for others as well and he may even meditates just for the sake of meditation.

It has nothing to with meditation for yourself and who knows whatever. I do object to meditation for the purpose of justification of what one believes or for ones desire for comfort or belonging to whatever.

We may have to agree to disagree.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Meditation by reading is one form of meditation. There are many others both associative and dissociative, personal and universal and so on.

The principle forms I'm enjoined to do are vocal and visual. Vocal is repeating a name of God. Visual is focusing on an image of the Divine.

King Phenomenon

It has nothing to with meditation for yourself and who knows whatever. I do object to meditation for the purpose of justification of what one believes or for ones desire for comfort or belonging to whatever.

I still don't see a problem with meditating for justification or comfort to belong or whattever. It may not be correct according to some groups meditate or whatever. So if I believe in the infinite universe as my God I can't meditate on that to comfort my belief in that?I don't know but I'll agree to disagree

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I still don't see a problem with meditating for justification or comfort to belong or whattever. It may not be correct according to some groups thatmthat or whatever. So if I believe in the infinite universe as my God I can't meditate on that to comfort my belief in that?I don't know but I'll agree to disagree

OK, but I avoid the egocentric reward for anything including meditation.

King Phenomenon

Oh yeah that's probably the proper way to meditate according to groups that meditate but personally I don't see anything wrong with seeking comfort for what I believe through meditation and I don't think it's egocentric.

King Phenomenon

I was saying; who knows? Maybe he does pray for others

Heyo

Veteran Member

I practise Autogenic Training. It fits my personality. Secular, rational and evidence based, it has its known uses and known limits. It healed my hay fever which pharmacology could barely alleviate the symptoms of.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Written in 1227 by Eihei Dogen:

"In meditating you should have a quiet room. Eat and drink in moderation. Forsake myriad relations - abstain from everything. Do not think of good and evil. Do not think of right and wrong. Stop the function of mind, of will, of consciousness. Keep from meaning memory, perception, and insight. Do not strive to become the Buddha. Do not cling to sitting or lying down.

In the sitting place, spread a thick square cushion and on top of it put a round cushion. Some meditate in Paryanka (full cross-legged sitting) and others in half Paryanka. Prepare by wearing your robe and belt loosely. Then rest your right hand on your left foot, your left hand in your right palm. Press your thumbs together.

Sit upright. Do not lean to the left or right, forward or backward. Place your ears in the same plane as your shoulders, your nose in line with your navel. Keep your tongue against the palate and close your lips and teeth firmly. Keep your eyes open. Inhale quietly. Settle your body comfortably. Exhale sharply. Move your body to the left and right. Then sit cross-legged steadily.

Think the unthinkable. How do you think the unthinkable? Think beyond thinking and unthinking. This is the important aspect of sitting."

The essence is not to engage in discursive thinking, I believe. I sit on a chair.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
1) Find or create a quiet place.
2) Bathe.
3) Sit still, spine erect, head balanced.
4) Close eyes.
5) Do pranayama, rhythmic, in and out.
6) Feel the warmth of the body.
7) Feel the nerve currents.
8) Just be aware, withdraw the thinking.
9) If there is a daily topic or focus, float awareness over it, but not delve into it.
10) repeat steps, in reverse order.

There are many slight variations of this.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I question meditation that justify ones own comfort and beliefs. How does this meditation help?
That is not true. I abandoned my Gods and Goddesses and became an atheist because of meditation - during which I could not find any evidence for them. There was no comfort, it was a minor apocalypse. For me, the purpose of meditation was to focus thought on questions to find the truth or the best answer.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That is not true. I abandoned my Gods and Goddesses and became an atheist because of meditation - during which I could not find any evidence for them. For me, the purpose of meditation is to focus thought on doubts to find the truth or the best answer.

You found what you wanted to find . . . and as you indicated 'I could not find any evidence for them.'

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Forsake myriad relations - abstain from everything. Do not think of good and evil. Do not think of right and wrong. Stop the function of mind, of will, of consciousness. Keep from meaning memory, perception, and insight. Do not strive to become the Buddha. Do not cling to sitting or lying down.
Well, that is Buddhist or even Hindu meditation. My meditation was not like this. Meditation is to become Buddha, to find answers to questions. Why otherwise would one meditate? That is why even Buddha meditated.