• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you go to Synagogue on Shabbat?

Dena

Another good solution would be not to move all the synagogues into wealthy neighborhoods. My street used to be in a Jewish neighborhood. That was a long, long time ago. Now most are located in a wealthy suburb where many people cannot afford to live.

Actually, one which is outside of this area about an hour away doesn't even sit close to a residential area. It's next to a commercial area and I'm not sure anyone could really walk without getting themselves killed. There might be a residential neighborhood on the backside which I can't see from the street. I'll be visiting in a couple weeks so I'll look. It's still somewhat of an expensive neighborhood.

xkatz

Another good solution would be not to move all the synagogues into wealthy neighborhoods. My street used to be in a Jewish neighborhood. That was a long, long time ago. Now most are located in a wealthy suburb where many people cannot afford to live.

It's because Jews are rich from controlling the media, government, and banks :D

Yanni

Orthodox Jews who scrupulously follow the Torah and its commandments do not drive to synagogue on Shabbos. There is no halachic exemption for using a car on Shabbos unless one is in a state of Pikuach Nefesh (life-threatening situation) such as childbirth, or if Hatzalah (a Jewish volunteer ambulance service) needs to respond to someone in need on Shabbos.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
Orthodox Jews who scrupulously follow the Torah and its commandments do not drive to synagogue on Shabbos. There is no halachic exemption for using a car on Shabbos unless one is in a state of Pikuach Nefesh (life-threatening situation) such as childbirth, or if Hatzalah (a Jewish volunteer ambulance service) needs to respond to someone in need on Shabbos.

Yes that is correct, but not all Jews live within walking distance and it is also important to come together as a community. For those of us who live do not live in close proximity of a synagogue or even within a Jewish community it becomes even more important.

sadiq

Spain, Morocco, Jerusalem
There is one synagogue i always attend. Sadly it's two miles away from where i live but i still make an effort since it's only once a week.

By the way: what is a shul if one might inquire?

sadiq

Spain, Morocco, Jerusalem
Thanks,i am a Jew of moroccan extraction and i had no idea what that means.
Most Jews here seem to be using Ashkenazi Hebrew or whatever it's called so i get abit mixed up.