• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how do you become a buddhist?

RobW

hello. i would like to become a buddhist but know very little about it. how do you become one?, do you have to follow one of the sub-divisions - eg-zen?. ive been ill recently and feel a need for religion and the buddhist religion i feel more aligned to, and just feel this is so right.

thank you,
rob

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Rob -

The first thing to do would be to read up on the different traditions within Buddhism (Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana) and then the schools within the traditions. This can help you decide which of the various ones may be the best fit for you. There are some thumbnail overviews here, and there are LOTS more information available by doing internet searches on what you find there.

Bottom line: read first, get some rough ideas about the general *shape* of Buddhism, and then see if there is something nearby where you live that you could visit. Depending on where you are, you may have one or two choices, or several, or lots. Also please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Doc

Space Chief
Welcome to the forums, Rob! You will find some great people here who can explain more, but I will help as best I can! Becoming Buddhist and in which manner to achieve that, is your decision. You do not really need to follow any particular subdivision as far as I am aware. (Unless the Buddha made a law against such heinous deeds ;) ) I believe all subgroups of Buddhism were founded after his death. Most of Buddhism focuses on the Four Noble Truths and the 8-Fold Path ( a sort of recommended style of living not to be confused with commandments)

Like I said, other members can give better advice. I am still studying it myself. I would check Buddhism Overview in this part of the forums.

I hope you feel better soon. Read up on meditation if you can. That can be very helpful for healing exterior wounds or wounds deaper within. And feel free to ask more questions!:)

Hi Rob, Buddhism is a very rich and fulfilling religion. I hope you gain much happiness from your studies. Let me tell you what I found to be one of the hardest things with studying Buddhism; trying to relate the teachings to my life. The ideas in Buddhism were sooo great but I couldn't integrate them into my experience. I think it had to do with the fact that I was so attracted to the ritual aspect of it. I thought that it was so "far out." What helped me get over this was bringing down the barriers between the traditions and going right to the source; the 4 noble truths. I really spent a lot of time trying to contemplate the 4 noble truths. Not just to see if they sounded good. But to see if they were actually true! sometimes I think it is really easy to read something new and be so taken away that you never stop to ask if it were true or not. Something else I found; the more I understood the Buddha's teachings, the less I used the Sanskrit words. I found myself using my own English interpretations. It made it more personal. Anyway, this is what I found. I hope it makes sense, I typed it pretty fast.

Mark

RobW

Hi, thanks for the above information. i went out and bought a stack load of books today about buddhism. can i ask, and this may sound like a stupid question, but do buddhist read a holy book (they dont right) or attend a holy place like a temple or something. im sorry about the lack of knowledge and may have come to the conclusion that i am thick, which im not i just know little about religion,sadly.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Engyo said:
Rob -

The first thing to do would be to read up on the different traditions within Buddhism (Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana) and then the schools within the traditions. This can help you decide which of the various ones may be the best fit for you. There are some thumbnail overviews here, and there are LOTS more information available by doing internet searches on what you find there.

Bottom line: read first, get some rough ideas about the general *shape* of Buddhism, and then see if there is something nearby where you live that you could visit. Depending on where you are, you may have one or two choices, or several, or lots. Also please don't hesitate to ask questions.
Engyo, have you ever heard of these people?
SOKA GAKKAI INTERNATIONAL (SGI) http://www.sgi-uk.org/index.php/sgi-uk:)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
michel said:
Engyo, have you ever heard of these people?
SOKA GAKKAI INTERNATIONAL (SGI) http://www.sgi-uk.org/index.php/sgi-uk:)
I was a member of SGI-USA from before they took that name (originally NSA) until approximately 2000.

RobW -

RobW said:
can i ask, and this may sound like a stupid question, but do buddhist read a holy book (they dont right) or attend a holy place like a temple or something.
It isn't a stupid question.....the stupid question is the one you don't ask. Different traditions and schools of Buddhism focus on different Sutras, or teachings. Some have temples and some don't. Some focus on individual practice and some are more group oriented.......... There are a vast variety of styles to choose from; it all depends on what speaks to you. The legend goes that Buddha taught 84,000 different Dharma gates, because we are all different.

RobW said:
im sorry about the lack of knowledge and may have come to the conclusion that i am thick, which im not i just know little about religion,sadly.
please don't ever think you have a dumb question. I have heard some dumb statements in my life but never a dumb question.... - Mark

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
RobW said:
Hi, thanks for the above information. i went out and bought a stack load of books today about buddhism. can i ask, and this may sound like a stupid question, but do buddhist read a holy book (they dont right) or attend a holy place like a temple or something. im sorry about the lack of knowledge and may have come to the conclusion that i am thick, which im not i just know little about religion,sadly.
There is no "buddhist bible," altho there are a couple of books out - collections of scriptures - by that name. There are Buddhist canons of scripture, but as someone has already said they are different for the different schools of Buddhism. And they are much bigger than the Christian bible. If you wish to read the original scripture upon which Buddhism is based, as opposed to books about Buddhism, I would suggest The Middle-length Discourses of the Buddha. It's an excellent translation and gives a good feel for what the Buddha was like and his teachings. However, I would start by reading some books about Buddhism first because delving into the scriptures without guidance can be daunting and confusing. A good introduction is What the Buddha Taught.

Yes, there are Buddhist temples, and depending on the school of Buddhism they can figure quite heavily into one's faith. But it is not necessary to attend a temple to be Buddhist.

Hope this helps. :)

anami

RobW said:
hello. i would like to become a buddhist but know very little about it. how do you become one?, do you have to follow one of the sub-divisions - eg-zen?. ive been ill recently and feel a need for religion and the buddhist religion i feel more aligned to, and just feel this is so right.

thank you,
rob

i have some advice for you...
Figure out what you believe and go with that.
Don't decide some overview of what you believe some exotic religion is and grab a stack of books and ask questions about how to become a religion 9which is by definition impossible as your faith decides your religion not your religion deciding what you believe.

If i were one to get offended your approach to "religion" would greatly offend me as it includes no soul searching. i mean what do you think? what do you believe?
find out about religions and beliefs then decide if you are a Buddist.
How do i know, maybe you are a Buddist, but my point is how do you know maybe you aren't a Buddist? What if you can't follow the eight fold path?
Do you even know what that means? Read now, decide later.

rob
this is a complex question to answer so i'll try my best to answer honestly according to what i know.
based on what i know, shakyamuni ( the buddha ) did not write down any of his teachings while he was still alive. a few centuries after he passed away people collected his teachings which were passed down orally and wrote them down. THIS IS HOW BUDDHISM GOT MESSED UP. BECAUSE upon doing this they founded different sects of buddhism such as zen,Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, tien tai etc
but these sects are all based on different level things that buddha taught.
some sects believe in the salvation of self only while others like theravada believes in the salvation of all sentient beings.
while some sects are completely wrong to begin with
:jiggy: Zen buddhism for example is wrong because based on what i remember of it from reading a book of my so-called religion falun gong called zhuan falun, zen buddhism was founded by one of buddha's students called bodhidarma and zen was founded based on one statement buddha said ( that no law is absolute ) bodhi darma then came up with his theory of EMPTINESS, that's why zen buddhist don't talk because they believe that as soon as the dao/buddha law is spoken of then it would not be dao anymore. they even deny that they exist because all they believe is emptiness. but tell me, if there is only emptiness, what is enlightenment? to be enlightened one has to be aware of certain things meaning that things exist which cause on to be enlightened, but if according to zen, there is only emptiness how can emptiness be enlightenment and why would they bleed when cut, sleep when tired or eat when hungry if only emptiness exist?
as for theravada buddhism , they cultivate to become boddhisattvas or in other words enlightened beings one level below that of a genuine buddha who choose not to give up a body which can bring them suffering until all sentient beings attain some form of salvation.
with the buddhism that the world is most familiar with, meaning mahayana buddhism which exist mainly in china today, even that is not good for someone, because if i remembered right, it has become a multi buddha type religion in which buddha amitahbah, boddhisattva kuan yin, and other buddhas are worshipped.
now, as a simple metaphor to explain a certain point, if someone writes a book then that book is their teachings. now if someone else added something to that book, could it still be considered the original person's teachings?
this is exactly what has happened to buddhism
for all buddhist who read this, please tell me what the dao's name does kuan yin have to do with buddhism? kuan yin as far as i know is one of the senior bodhisattvas of the paradise of ultimate bliss which is controlled by buddha amitahbah. buddha amitahbah's discipline is called PURE LAND buddhism. but even it's name is wrong since buddhism is only supposed to refer to the teachings of the former indian prince shakyamuni.
:bonk: the main reason following any particular sect of buddhism may be difficult to make one attain enlightenment and salvation is because the things buddha taught back in his time was confined to the state of the world at that time. people back then didn't have complicated lives as people today, so what applies to them certainly won't apply to people today. also when one follows a certain buddhist sect, one should not read things from other buddhist sects because different sects carry messages of different levels and if one was to mix high levels with low level stuff,what would be the point of being a monk/nun? -one would get nowhere doing this.

so rob, you don't have to do this if you don't want to, but since you want to be a buddhist it means that your buddha nature has come out so i suggest you do what i do and follow a genuine practice.
i do falun gong, it's a high level practice of the buddha school for cultivating buddha-hood and it has absolutely nothing to do with buddhism or taoism. it's teachings encompass all mysteries of the universe and everything is explained. this is the website www.falundafa.org
read zhuan falun ( the main book ) then falun gong for a description and pictures of the exercises( READ THIS PART CAREFULLY ) and also watch the video online. everything is free.
MY EMAIL IS [email protected]

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
FacelessMage said:
rob
:bonk: the main reason following any particular sect of buddhism may be difficult to make one attain enlightenment and salvation is because the things buddha taught back in his time was confined to the state of the world at that time. people back then didn't have complicated lives as people today, so what applies to them certainly won't apply to people today. also when one follows a certain buddhist sect, one should not read things from other buddhist sects because different sects carry messages of different levels and if one was to mix high levels with low level stuff,what would be the point of being a monk/nun? -one would get nowhere doing this.
FacelessMage -

I appreciate the fact that you preface much of what you say regarding Buddhism with "according to what I know". With respect, I must submit that you do not know a great deal regarding the state of Buddhist practice today. If you did, you would not make statements like the one I quoted above.

I say this in respect, because I believe you are not intentionally passing on falsehood. Unfortunately, the knowledge you are passing on regarding Buddhism is at best incomplete, and at worst totally incorrect. If I may offer a suggestion, before you advise people regarding Buddhism, it might behoove you to learn more about it. Personally, I would not presume to advise people regarding Falun Gong, as I do not have enough information regarding that practice/organization.

You are free to make your own choices, of course. As with everyone, the effects generated from the causes you make are yours to enjoy.

namste. i don't know how to say this, but what i'm saying isn't the least bit false.
i know about buddhism and taoism ( www.healingtaousa.com ) because i used to be a taoist for a while and also a buddhist ( chan and also other sects-a lot of them ) for a WHILE.
perhaps you didn't understand the historical context of what i was saying regarding buddhism.
in buddhism there are there is the middle way and also the stuff about right livelyhood, right speech, right thinking, right actions etc.. these thing all came from the precepts that buddha taught- the ones about having no desires, attachments or emotions. if you don't believe this then tell we, what causes attachments? is it not thinking about something and indulging in certain behaviors? if it's not this then what does?
i see you also highlighted about what i said about people not having complicated lives back in his time.
please tell me, were people back then as complicated as they are today? -i don't think they were .anyone else is invited to answer that question. people back then didn't have the things we have today.
the truth is this, the ordinary people who became monks/nuns after buddha, did not reach the realm of tahatgatta and therefore were unable to understand the true meaning of his words since they did not know the things at his realm of awareness. as a result when they compiled his teachings in written form they translated things to mean what they believed it meant based on their level of awareness and based on the manifestations of buddha law they were able to know at their realm of awareness, as a reslut, the darma taught by shakyamuni was altered beyond its original meaning. this point shoud be clear to grasp.
what i'm trying to say is that the buddhism of today is not the buddhism taught by shakyamuni back in his time, it's been altered
buddha only taught precept, samadi and wisdom, sitting cross legged to eliminate karma and having bowls to beg for food. as a simple metaphor to understand.
if i make a set of hand movements, then those hand movements could be said to be mine.
but if someone added something to it, could it then be said to be mine?
it's the same with buddhism people added stuff to what buddha taught based on bringing them in from other schools or from misinturpretation of the high level truths he taught.
the best example of the misinturpretation part involves zen buddhism.
zen buddhism believes the darma can't be taught because once taught it won't be darma anymore. zen was founded by bodhidarma one of buddha's disciples. he founded zen based on one thing buddha said, which was " no law is absolute "
darma then came up with thee notion of emptiness
that's why zen people hit you when you go to them and ask questions. -they believe the law can't be taught and only emptiness exist
but if there is only emptiness how can one become enlightened if there is nothing which can cause on to become enlightened?
-so what did shakyamuni mean by no law is absolute?
he mean that what's the proper thing to do might be wrong to do in certain situations.
based on what i know, buddha was teaching while he was improving himself and each time he improved one level he would look back and see that the law he taught was wrong when viewed from the laws of higher levels, but that the laws of lower levels did serve as a guide on that level to reach higher levels but that not one law was the absolute truth of the universe. buddha also did not teach all of the law he knew while he was still alive on this planet. buddha talked about the day of the law's end. according to what i know, he was referring to today- what he meant by this is that the law/tao/ is no longer in people's hearts and that even monks in monasteries would find it difficult to save themselves because of the nonsesne they've doing.
an example of this is the light opening.
based on what i know and based on what i've experienced, i can tell you that some monks simply don't know what they're doing.
some monks believe that taking mirors and shining lights on a buddha statue is called light opening. but that's not really what light opening is
light opening is about inviting the fa-shen ( law bodies ) of buddhas onto statues to rectify abnormal conditions in the environment and to protect monks/nuns while they do their cultivation.
this can only be done if one chant's sutras with such concentration that it would shake the world of the buddha of that discipline and invoke his/her law bodies. it can also be done by taking the pictures of genuine buddhas, doing the big lotus hand position and then asking that diety to invite the fa-shen onto the statue of the specific buddha for one.
as an example of people bringing stuff from other practices into buddhism- some buddhist sects worship kuan yin ( boddhisattva of mercy and compassion ) and some buddhist practices have become multi buddha worshipping disciplines, such as worshipping amitahbah, the great sun tathagatta, melarepa, or other buddhas. and some have even let taoist stuff like stories about the queen mother of the west and the jade emperoe into their monasteries.
again i'm not saying that the buddhism you follow does these things because i don't know what discipline you follow.

to the forum
i'm sorry if i may have broken the rules by posting stuff twice, it's just that the screen freezes when i click post reply and i don't know if it was sent or not so i clck post reply again

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Am I not right in saying that Buddhism is not a 'Religion' as such ? - more of a way of life?:)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
It all depends on how you define "Religion". If religion and theocracy are synonymous, then no Buddhism isn't a religion. If you subscribe to the definition on the splash screen here at RF, [We define religion as any specific system of belief and/or/without worship, often involving a code of ethics and a philosophy] then yes, it is.

rob
this is a complex question to answer so i'll try my best to answer honestly according to what i know.
based on what i know, shakyamuni ( the buddha ) did not write down any of his teachings while he was still alive. a few centuries after he passed away people collected his teachings which were passed down orally and wrote them down. THIS IS HOW BUDDHISM GOT MESSED UP. BECAUSE upon doing this they founded different sects of buddhism such as zen,Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, tien tai etc
but these sects are all based on different level things that buddha taught.
some sects believe in the salvation of self only while others like theravada believes in the salvation of all sentient beings.
while some sects are completely wrong to begin with
:jiggy: Zen buddhism for example is wrong because based on what i remember of it from reading a book of my so-called religion falun gong called zhuan falun, zen buddhism was founded by one of buddha's students called bodhidarma and zen was founded based on one statement buddha said ( that no law is absolute ) bodhi darma then came up with his theory of EMPTINESS, that's why zen buddhist don't talk because they believe that as soon as the dao/buddha law is spoken of then it would not be dao anymore. they even deny that they exist because all they believe is emptiness. but tell me, if there is only emptiness, what is enlightenment? to be enlightened one has to be aware of certain things meaning that things exist which cause on to be enlightened, but if according to zen, there is only emptiness how can emptiness be enlightenment and why would they bleed when cut, sleep when tired or eat when hungry if only emptiness exist?
as for theravada buddhism , they cultivate to become boddhisattvas or in other words enlightened beings one level below that of a genuine buddha who choose not to give up a body which can bring them suffering until all sentient beings attain some form of salvation.
with the buddhism that the world is most familiar with, meaning mahayana buddhism which exist mainly in china today, even that is not good for someone, because if i remembered right, it has become a multi buddha type religion in which buddha amitahbah, boddhisattva kuan yin, and other buddhas are worshipped.
now, as a simple metaphor to explain a certain point, if someone writes a book then that book is their teachings. now if someone else added something to that book, could it still be considered the original person's teachings?
this is exactly what has happened to buddhism
for all buddhist who read this, please tell me what the dao's name does kuan yin have to do with buddhism? kuan yin as far as i know is one of the senior bodhisattvas of the paradise of ultimate bliss which is controlled by buddha amitahbah. buddha amitahbah's discipline is called PURE LAND buddhism. but even it's name is wrong since buddhism is only supposed to refer to the teachings of the former indian prince shakyamuni.

I'm just posting this to let anyone who read my other posts know that whatever is in them WAS ONLY MY PERSPECTIVE ON THINGS, they may be correct or may not be correct or may even have messed up things in them ( my understanding is that one is supposed to follow only one cultivation way until enlightened and you won't be able to become enlightened if you cultivate by adding in messed up messages to your cultivation ) due to me drifting away from the topic i was discussing or perhaps me not paying enough attention to what i was doing. I don't think i said enough earlier on those posts being the way i understand things etc and i just remembered i posted on this website a few days ago, so don't regard any of those posts i made as being what falun dafa teaches, get your own understanding through your own study of the practice of falun dafa, it's all free on the falun dafa website Falun Dafa (Falun Gong) - falundafa.org

Nicholas

Bodhicitta

thank you,
rob

The entryway into Buddhism is through taking refuge in the Buddha, Dharma (his teachings and realizations) and the Sangha ( the Arya or enlightened community, not the monastics). This can be done at a monastery with a monastic leading the brief ceremony.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Welcome 2 the forum!

Best of luck with your search.

Here's a video you may enjoy -

I also recommend his book "Happiness" by Matthieu Ricard although it sounds like you have a lot to read aready!

All the best!