• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Muslims know that the Quran hasn't changed?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think intellectual understanding is required. Of those people who sense the existence of God, they can worship him despite a wide variety of faulty ideas.
They will be worshiping their idea of God and imposing their views on him and essentially making up who he is. To know God, requires a connection to him.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
They will be worshiping their idea of God and imposing their views on him and essentially making up who he is. To know God, requires a connection to him.
No, it doesn't work that way. For example, let's say I have a next door neighbor named Sally. Since I never saw children in her yard, I assumed she was childless. I have established a friendship with Salley -- we chat over the fence, and borrow cups of sugar from each other. Yet I am mistaken about the kids -- the truth is that she has two children, but her ex-husband has full custody. The fact that I have a mistaken notion about Sally in no way undermines the fact that I am friends with her.

In the same way, a person can have a relationship with God, despite having wrong notions about him.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, it doesn't work that way. For example, let's say I have a next door neighbor named Sally. Since I never saw children in her yard, I assumed she was childless. I have established a friendship with Salley -- we chat over the fence, and borrow cups of sugar from each other. Yet I am mistaken about the kids -- the truth is that she has two children, but her ex-husband has full custody. The fact that I have a mistaken notion about Sally in no way undermines the fact that I am friends with her.

In the same way, a person can have a relationship with God, despite having wrong notions about him.
We can be mistaken about somethings, others are essential things to know about God. I see what you are saying, to me there is only one God, and so we should not make up aspects of him nor choose what is his balance of traits nor personality, but rather become familiar with it and embrace it when revealed to our souls.

You are right from one perspective people worship God even if they are wrong about who he is, but from another perspective, the only way to truly worship God is to recognize who he is.

Both perspectives are true, and they are spoken about from different angles in the Quran.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
We can be mistaken about somethings, others are essential things to know about God. I see what you are saying, to me there is only one God, and so we should not make up aspects of him nor choose what is his balance of traits nor personality, but rather become familiar with it and embrace it when revealed to our souls.

You are right from one perspective people worship God even if they are wrong about who he is, but from another perspective, the only way to truly worship God is to recognize who he is.

Both perspectives are true, and they are spoken about from different angles in the Quran.

The way I'm reading this, it's the feeling which is 100% true. The intellectual ideas can be false.

"Of those people who sense the existence of God, they can worship him despite a wide variety of faulty ideas"​
"Who sense" is a feeling. It's not an intellectual idea which can be flawed. At least not in the same way.

As long as the connection is emotive, a feeling, and the individual accepts their agnosticsm ( a friendly way of saying ignorance ) then the connection can be established in 100% truth while being wrong about many many facts. This is where humility comes in which is the root of submission. And this is the benefit of the emotive approach over rational intellect. It's more achievable and fault tolerant. But the tiniest drop of arrogance in those moments sabatoges it.

IMO

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The way I'm reading this, it's the feeling which is 100% true. The intellectual ideas can be false.

"Of those people who sense the existence of God, they can worship him despite a wide variety of faulty ideas"​
"Who sense" is a feeling. It's not an intellectual idea which can be flawed. At least not in the same way.

As long as the connection is emotive, a feeling, and the individual accepts their agnosticsm ( a friendly way of saying ignorance ) then the connection can be established in 100% truth while being wrong about many many facts. This is where humility comes in which is the root of submission. And this is the benefit of the emotive approach over rational intellect. It's more achievable and fault tolerant. But the tiniest drop of arrogance in those moments sabatoges it.

IMO
What if you think evil of God like my heretic's defiance poetry when I was a Deist/New Age type person?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Kindly note following points about Quran, please:
  1. The Revelation of Quran was received and completed in 23 years of the ministry of Muhammad,
  2. and primarily committed to memory by the Muslims
  3. only as a secondary measure it was also written down by the scribes as dictated to them by Muhammad.
  4. Quran is a systematic Verbal Revelation,
  5. learnt by heart, as a sentence or more were revealed on Muhammad by G-d.
  6. Muhammad himself committed this Revelation to his memory and from him his companions did.
  7. And this system continues forth unimpaired till our times
  8. and the system is intact, to be continued for future also.
  9. Quran was never a written book sent down literally by G-d from the skies.
  10. So primarily Quran is a Verbal Revelation as the word “Quran” suggests means and conveys.
  11. It is however the genius of Muhammad (peace be upon him),
  12. though he was himself not well-versed in reading and/or writing,
  13. yet he felt the importance of writing in the times to come in the world
  14. so side by side as an auxiliary or secondary measure, never as the original in the first place
  15. he also did whatever was possible to record this revelation in writing
  16. so that both always existed supporting one another.
  17. It is another meaning, that this Verbal Revelation, having a system in it, in a would-be sense committed to writing was also called a book.
Anybody could go to any mosque in any part of the world to whatever denomination of Muslims, ask for Qari or Hafiz- e- Quran there, he would recite verbally the Quran in Arabic, that would be the same as the written one.
Easy to verify the system of preservation of Quran.
Hope, every body understand, right?

Regards
Hope, every body understand, right?

Regards