• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do Christians Reconcile The Following Question Regarding Their Faith?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I'm not blaming God. I'm asking questions about why ANY God would allow some atrocities.

Could God have everything he wants yet not allow mass murder and baby cancer?

If yes, then it seems horrible of him to allow those horrors.

If no, then how is he powerful enough to be called God?
This isn't about "what God wants." It's about "How we are the way we are."

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I was a devoted Christian for a very long time, 25 years or more - a Trinity believing Protestant taught that our creator God is omniscient (all-knowing) omnipotent (all-powerful) and omnipresent (present everywhere at the same time). This creator designed and created men and women fully and completely all by 'himself'.

What I don't understand, is if this creator purposefully designed and unleashed upon the earth a creature capable of rape and murder, why isn't 'He' to blame for these atrocities? Why would you construct a being with the potential to do so much harm to his fellow humans? What was the motive?

If my son murdered a human and I supplied the gun knowing ahead of time he'd shoot someone, I'm held accountable for my part in the homicide. How much more so should God be held accountable for DESIGNING a creature that he KNOWS ahead of time (he's omniscient, remember) will murder a fellow human?
I don't think you are involved in such crimes. Am I correct? Please
Regards

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
RedDragon,

If you are a believer of the creation of man in the book of Genesis, you may understand why Christianity believed that the world was tainted with sin--a corrupted world. This is why bad things happen. On the other hand, things that happened around us would not make God imperfect.

Thanks
What is the cause of sin?

Kelly of the Phoenix

You could read the book of Revelation. God is definitely powerful enough to stop human wickedness. Right now He is giving each person the opportunity to repent from their sinfulness before He brings judgment.
It takes Him the entire human history to remove wickedness? Hasn't He tried to remove it before? How well did that work out for Him?

I think you can keep turning it around blaming God endlessly if it makes you feel better, but I see it as just an escape mechanism from admitting that humans are personally responsible for their own evil deeds. That is the plain and simple message concerning wickedness in the scriptures.
Then humans are also responsible for their own successes.

I believe God does not choose to foreknow all the actions his creatures choose to take. (2 Chronicles 32:31) It was a spirit son of God who first allowed himself to selfishly desire what did not belong to him, and who turned himself into an evil liar and murderer. Many people believe perfection means a person cannot do wrong. That defines a robot, not a perfect creature. A perfect creature reflects the love and other qualities of his Creator because he choose to, not because he is forced to. (Joshua 24:15)
It makes Him negligent, which is arguably WORSE than not knowing.

If a parent decides not to know what their child is up to, do we argue the parent chose not to know so it's not their problem?

Hi RedDragon,

How could you say that Christian God is evil; imperfect and symbol of collective conscience??

Thanks
The character of God in the bible (oft confused, I believe, with real deities) has powers that depend on the author, much like comic book superheroes. Early Superman could just jump really high. Then, he could fly. Now, he can go across the universe in seconds, etc.

buddhist

Hi Buddhist,

That is the beauty of biblical interpretation. Research and studying is already a practice to validate and justify things for historical events. There are discoveries that we can look at like archaeology, geography, customs and traditions, and places that has been narrated in the Bible. Just like what you did in finding the Greek and Hebrew text is already a part of research and study.
Historical findings which match up with what was written in the Buddhist texts validate Buddhist interpretation and theology then?

I read it already. If we would look at the authenticity and validity of the source of information, this is very far from the depth of chronological set up of the Bible starting from the book of Genesis, the Father God who is the Creator, and the prophecies--down to the life of Jesus Christ including the Revelation. Secondly, the witness and testimony of Jesus’ disciples/Apostles in the gospels, and the letters. The ancient record of Jesus in India has to be compared with the account that is in the Bible to prove their consistency and authenticity.
So the depth of information, and the witness and testimony of the Buddha's primary disciples, as found in the Buddhist texts also validate Buddhist theology?

If this claim is true by some people who believed about Christ’s lost years, what difference would it make from John 14:6, the crucifixion, and all Christ’s teachings?:rolleyes:
It means that Jesus' mission might be radically different than what the orthodox Christian church teaches about him.

My answer to this is the same as above. :)I used the Old Testament as my evidence because of the fulfillment of the prophecy starting from Jesus Christ’s birth, His coming, mission, and the crucifixion. No mention about the lost years in India. I just remembered that there is also a belief claimed that Jesus traveled in Central America and He preached there. This is also one of the inconsistencies that we can see if we dig the truth with the Bible.
In the Buddhist texts, it is also said that prophecies were made regarding Lord Buddha's birth, coming, mission, and his paranibbana. That fulfillment validates Buddhist theology, according to your standard.

If the problem that you cited is more of translation by men, the Greek text of the word “eternal” does not change. Isn’t it?o_O Now, if you believe that its meaning is agelong with undefined end, but not eternal as eternal life, what should be the authority that will defined the word “aeon” for you? Do you have a reference like interlinear?o_O May I request to see it? May I request for a reference or the source? Thanks:)
Lexicographical evidence regarding "aeon" was provided here.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I was a devoted Christian for a very long time, 25 years or more - a Trinity believing Protestant taught that our creator God is omniscient (all-knowing) omnipotent (all-powerful) and omnipresent (present everywhere at the same time). This creator designed and created men and women fully and completely all by 'himself'.

What I don't understand, is if this creator purposefully designed and unleashed upon the earth a creature capable of rape and murder, why isn't 'He' to blame for these atrocities? Why would you construct a being with the potential to do so much harm to his fellow humans? What was the motive?

If my son murdered a human and I supplied the gun knowing ahead of time he'd shoot someone, I'm held accountable for my part in the homicide. How much more so should God be held accountable for DESIGNING a creature that he KNOWS ahead of time (he's omniscient, remember) will murder a fellow human?
You think it is protestant trinity that encourages one to do crimes mentioned by one?
If one had been say an Atheist then one was not poised to do any crimes, and one would have been innocent human being afar from such things. Right? Please
Regards