• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Christians Know the Bible is Both Inspired by God and Inerrant?

whirlingmerc

From "The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy"

[The "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy" was produced at an international Summit Conference of evangelical leaders, held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago in the fall of 1978. This congress was sponsored by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy. The Chicago Statement was signed by nearly 300 noted evangelical scholars, including . . . .]
source

Article VI: Plenary Verbal Inspiration
We affirm that the whole of Scripture and all its parts, down to the very words of the original, were given by divine inspiration.

Article XII: Exhaustive Inerrancy
We affirm that Scripture in its entirety is inerrant, being free from all falsehood, fraud, or deceit.
source

So how do they know? Is it explicitly stated so in the Bible, if so, where?

I ask because there are quite a few things in the Bible that one would not think the Christian god would inspire, nor are seemingly without error.

plenary : that is regarding word choice and there are cases where Jesus relied on a word being present tense rather than past and Paul relied on a word being singular not plural.... that would be plenary inspiration

sufficiency: 2 Tim 3 16 would be like that and also since it involved scripture being 'God breathed' it suggests inspiration

MHz

I ask because there are quite a few things in the Bible that one would not think the Christian god would inspire, nor are seemingly without error.
Daniel and his 3 friends would have been the ones to put the OT back into the same form it was originally in. The NT was written in Greek so that form has not changed. The OT and NT are phrase specific and that means a person can use an e-bible that uses the KJV1611 text and word searches can be used to find similar topics, like 'day of the lord'.

Taking that a step further if you take Ge:1-3 and Re:20-22 that is a short version of this earth and how it was made and how it got corrupted and how God repairs it before it ends and a new earth begins. The rest of the book is about the two bruises from Ge:3:15. The lead-up include the creation of the 'seed of Eve' that produced Jesus and the 4 Gospels cover the conclusion of the bruise to the heel. From the middle of Acts:10 to the end of Re:19 is about the bruise to the serpent's head.

That format cannot be arrived at by 40 Scribes working independently. Here is an example of knowledge that was not available until sometime after 1500AD.
The reference to all the kingdom on the earth would mean just that. Having Satan being given full authority over 1/4 of the earth just happens to include all the land on the planet. That could not have been arrived at by any other means than God was the single author of the whole Bible.

Jer:25:26:
And all the kings of the north,
far and near,
one with another,
and all the kingdoms of the world,
which are upon the face of the earth:

and the king of Sheshach shall drink after them.

Re:6:7:
And when he had opened the fourth seal,
I heard the voice of the fourth beast say,
Come and see.
Re:6:8:
And I looked,
and behold a pale horse:
and his name that sat on him was Death,
and Hell followed with him.
And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth,
to kill with sword,
and with hunger,
and with death,
and with the beasts of the earth.

Christ then destroys all the Nations that are aligned with Satan & Co.

Jer:25:31-33:
A noise shall come even to the ends of the earth;
for the LORD hath a controversy with the nations,
he will plead with all flesh;
he will give them that are wicked to the sword,
saith the LORD.
Thus saith the LORD of hosts,
Behold,
evil shall go forth from nation to nation,
and a great whirlwind shall be raised up from the coasts of the earth.
And the slain of the LORD shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth:
they shall not be lamented,
neither gathered,
nor buried;
they shall be dung upon the ground.

Hawkins

From "The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy"

[The "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy" was produced at an international Summit Conference of evangelical leaders, held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago in the fall of 1978. This congress was sponsored by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy. The Chicago Statement was signed by nearly 300 noted evangelical scholars, including . . . .]
source

Article VI: Plenary Verbal Inspiration
We affirm that the whole of Scripture and all its parts, down to the very words of the original, were given by divine inspiration.

Article XII: Exhaustive Inerrancy
We affirm that Scripture in its entirety is inerrant, being free from all falsehood, fraud, or deceit.
source

The question is, what else should be done if it is so?

The Bible remains a true account of human witnessing through which God carries forward His message/theology of salvation unmistakenly for the salvation of humans. This can only be verified in the court of heaven. You may sit all day in a court to point out how flawed what the witnesses said. In the end, it's the judge and juries, not you, to identify whether the testimonies stand or not.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The question is, what else should be done if it is so?
Then in light of what it says about god I would serious hesitate about worshiping such a cruel and unfeeling being.

The Bible remains a true account of human witnessing through which God carries forward His message/theology of salvation unmistakenly for the salvation of humans.
To paraphrase my original question: So how do you know?

Is it explicitly stated so in the Bible, if so, where?

My suspicion is that you've simply convinced yourself it's true because you need it to be so.

MJFlores

I believe it is explicitly stated in the bible.

Proverbs 30:5

Every word of God is flawless;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

And these verses are repeated again in:
Psalm 119:114
2 Samuel 22:31
Psalm 18:30

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Hence it is explicitly stated in the bible.
I hope those helped your questions.
Don't know who wrote the Chicago Statement but that thing is the verses have been there since King David lived.

Anyways, here is a supplemental video about why the bible captures so much interest when it is just only a book

I hope you like it, just joined yesterday.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe it is explicitly stated in the bible.

Proverbs 30:5

Every word of God is flawless;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

And these verses are repeated again in:
Psalm 119:114
2 Samuel 22:31
Psalm 18:30

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Hence it is explicitly stated in the bible.
I hope those helped your questions.
Don't know who wrote the Chicago Statement but that thing is the verses have been there since King David lived.

Anyways, here is a supplemental video about why the bible captures so much interest when it is just only a book

I hope you like it, just joined yesterday.
So how do the contradictions resolve themselves as truth, such as the lists of Ezra 2 and Nehemiah 7 ?

Ezra 2:1-2,15 (ISV)
A List of Those who Returned

2 Here is a list[a] of descendants of the province of Judah who returned from the captivity, from those who had been exiled. Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, had taken them to Babylon. They came back to Jerusalem and Judah, each one to his town, 2 along with Zerubbabel, Jeshua, Nehemiah, Seraiah, Reelaiah,[c] Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispar,[d] Bigvai, Rehum,[e] and Baanah. Here is the enumeration of 15 Descendants of Adin: 454

COMPARE TO

Nehemiah 7:5-6, 20 (ISV)
A List of Those who Returned

I found a register of the original inhabitants in which there was recorded 6 a list of descendants of the province of Judah[c] who returned from captivity, from those who had been exiled by Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. They had come back to Jerusalem and to Judah, each one to his town. 7 They were coming with Zerubbabel, Jeshua, Nehemiah, Azariah, Raamiah, Nahamani,[d] Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispereth,[e] Bigvai, Nehum,[f] and Baanah. Here is the enumeration of 20 Adin’s descendants: 655
Or how about the scientific errors

Leviticus 11:20-23 (NIV):
All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be detestable to you. There are, however, some winged creatures that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper. But all other winged creatures that have four legs you are to detest.

Leviticus 11: 4-6
4-6 “Some animals chew the cud, but they don’t have split hooves. Don’t eat these animals. Camels, rock badgers, and rabbits are like that, so they are unclean for you.

Joshua 10: 13
13 So the sun remained still and the moon stood in place until the nation settled their score with their enemies.

Last edited:

MJFlores

Take your time
Ponder on it
I was irreligious before
Thinking that I don't really need to believe in anything, but me.
But it is different now

I believe because I need to be saved
People need to be saved
From what?
No one lives forever - everybody dies, you me, everybody
Which of the two would end - one's life or earth
I do not know
I hope I could be in the grave before earth hits the fan

But what I know is I have to have faith and persevere
If I do not have faith, I stand no chance at all

People have chosen what they want to believe in
Its like holding a ticket without a plane to board
We have a ticket and we are going up
Why we have the basis of our faith and our faith

Skwim

Veteran Member
Take your time
Ponder on it
I was irreligious before
Thinking that I don't really need to believe in anything, but me.
But it is different now

I believe because I need to be saved
People need to be saved
From what?
No one lives forever - everybody dies, you me, everybody
Which of the two would end - one's life or earth
I do not know
I hope I could be in the grave before earth hits the fan

But what I know is I have to have faith and persevere
If I do not have faith, I stand no chance at all

People have chosen what they want to believe in
Its like holding a ticket without a plane to board