• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Christians Know the Bible is Both Inspired by God and Inerrant?

Skwim

Veteran Member
From "The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy"

[The "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy" was produced at an international Summit Conference of evangelical leaders, held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago in the fall of 1978. This congress was sponsored by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy. The Chicago Statement was signed by nearly 300 noted evangelical scholars, including . . . .]
source

Article VI: Plenary Verbal Inspiration
We affirm that the whole of Scripture and all its parts, down to the very words of the original, were given by divine inspiration.

Article XII: Exhaustive Inerrancy
We affirm that Scripture in its entirety is inerrant, being free from all falsehood, fraud, or deceit.
source

So how do they know? Is it explicitly stated so in the Bible, if so, where?

I ask because there are quite a few things in the Bible that one would not think the Christian god would inspire, nor are seemingly without error.

allfoak

Alchemist

I ask because there are quite a few things in the Bible that one would not think the Christian god would inspire, nor are seemingly without error.
They do not know.
And the sad part is, the entire religion is dependent upon it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

We affirm that the whole of Scripture and all its parts, down to the very words of the original, were given by divine inspiration.

This should have been a sure giveaway to honest people that the writers of that Article were not being true.

Down to the original? LOL. Am I missing something?

I do not doubt that people might have heard from God and that eventually what they heard got written down. So, I believe there are true words of God in there somewhere.

We can not say if what was heard originally is what we have. That should be obvious. That it is not obvious to any of the 300 "noted evangelical scholars" is so weird as to make me think maybe there really isn't a true God.​

Skwim

Veteran Member
This should have been a sure giveaway to honest people that the writers of that Article were not being true.

Down to the original? LOL. Am I missing something?

I do not doubt that people might have heard from God and that eventually what they heard got written down. So, I believe there are true words of God in there somewhere.

We can not say if what was heard originally is what we have. That should be obvious. That it is not obvious to any of the 300 "noted evangelical scholars" is so weird as to make me think maybe there really isn't a true God.​
Good point. They're admitting that what had been inspired may not be what one reads in current translations.

Nous

Premium Member
I don't think that all people who call themselves Christian do claim that the Bible is inerrant.

allfoak

Alchemist
I don't think that all people who call themselves Christian do claim that the Bible is inerrant.
The problem with that idea is that it is supposed to be the "Word of God".
That becomes false when the Bible is seen as fallible.
At that point there is nothing for Christians to rely on as truth.

Skwim

Veteran Member
For those who sometimes read things too literally I should have clarified:

"How do Some Christians Know the Bible is Both Inspired by God and Inerrant?"

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think you mean that at that point there is nothing for Bible-believing Christians to rely on as the truth.
The people who believe in the Bible instead of in God must believe the Bible is all true and then they think they have something to rely on. I think the truth is that God would wish us to rely on God alone.

In this world, teachers are helpers. They are not teaching so that their students can learn to rely on them.

Nous

Premium Member
None of the people I know who call themselves Christian claim to be unable to distinguish truth from falsehood just because they do not consider the Bible inerrant.

Nous

Premium Member

I think there are a lot of Christians who reject the fundamentalism and bibliolatry that you seem to think defines Christianity.

omega2xx

From "The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy"

[The "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy" was produced at an international Summit Conference of evangelical leaders, held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago in the fall of 1978. This congress was sponsored by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy. The Chicago Statement was signed by nearly 300 noted evangelical scholars, including . . . .]
source

Article XII: Exhaustive Inerrancy
We affirm that Scripture in its entirety is inerrant, being free from all falsehood, fraud, or deceit.
source

For example?

omega2xx

They do not know.
And the sad part is, the entire religion is dependent upon it.

You are half right. Our entire religion does depend on it, but it is not said.. What is sad is a statement like "we don't know" and can't prove your statement.

omega2xx

It has to more than seen fallible, it must be pointed out where it is.

David1967

Premium Member

Very good question. Short and honest answer, No one really "knows", As it involves faith. (note; I am not saying that they are not inspired). I think a good, 'add to' question would be, 'who decided what books would be thrown away and which ones would be in the cannon of scripture?' There were apparently many that were not included for various reasons, and more that were not included in Bibles such as the King James. Aaaand others that are now available, such as the 'gospel of Thomas' and so on. Very good question.