• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did you find out your deity/deities were real?

Theweirdtophat

I ask because some feel they are real due to faith, gut feelings or actually having experiences, visions, ect. How did you come to the conclusion that your god or gods whoever they may be, were actually real and that the things they did were real? What did you see and/or feel that led you to the conclusion that your deity or pantheon was real?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I ask because some feel they are real due to faith, gut feelings or actually having experiences, visions, ect. How did you come to the conclusion that your god or gods whoever they may be, were actually real and that the things they did were real? What did you see and/or feel that led you to the conclusion that your deity or pantheon was real?

Could I answer with spirits instead? I honestly don't know if there is a difference between the two since deities are different depending on which you're talking about.

Theweirdtophat

Could I answer with spirits instead? I honestly don't know if there is a difference between the two since deities are different depending on which you're talking about.

You can if you'd like. :) Some say a deity is a spirit, just a more powerful one or has some sort of position in the realm of the divine.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You can if you'd like. :) Some say a deity is a spirit, just a more powerful one or has some sort of position in the realm of the divine.

Thanks ;) I'd say the spirits are at a "higher" plane because, like on earth where we give the elderly our respect, those who have passed know even more than the elderly. I dont know if they know all; I'd have to ask.

I know through unsual thoughts and warnings that come from no where. I had, one time, someone scream so loud in my ears that I had to hold them close thinking it was someone outside of me. No one was there. They were screaming stop so I wont get hurt. Other times, they'd pull be back by the shoulder. It's mostly to keep me safe. I try to divine and get advice, but I dont know much about that since I like to create my own way of speaking with the spirits.

I mean, I know gods of what or who you worship. Are deities like that too? If not, I guess you can say spirits are deities since they are people (not beings). I dont know how to define it, lol. I just let it be, or at least try.

Hope you get better answers.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
How did you come to the conclusion that your god or gods whoever they may be, were actually real and that the things they did were real?
Because i get most things i ask for at some point, had a NDE and seen God first hand, had God speak to me as a child, been told knowledge about religious texts, well before reading them, etc. :innocent:

GoodbyeDave

Our knowledge comes from both experience and the experience of others; in fact, we learn more from other than we discover for ourselves. Many people have religious experiences providing evidence for the existence of gods, so I knew my gods existed long before I started worshiping them. Of course, afterwards I got my own experience.

As a minor example, take my image of Asklepios. I painted the robe crimson, as I'd read that red was sacred to him. A couple of times a week I got these feelings of faint disapproval when I addressed him. Then I read descriptions of ancient visions, in which he was always said to be dressed in plain white. Would a god actually care what his image looked like? I told him I'd do a divination with the Yi Jing so that he could indicate whether he wanted the image repainted, and I got the hexagram "decoration"! Three coats of white paint later I got no more feelings of disapproval. Why did it matter? Mine not to reason why.

Theweirdtophat

Our knowledge comes from both experience and the experience of others; in fact, we learn more from other than we discover for ourselves. Many people have religious experiences providing evidence for the existence of gods, so I knew my gods existed long before I started worshiping them. Of course, afterwards I got my own experience.

As a minor example, take my image of Asklepios. I painted the robe crimson, as I'd read that red was sacred to him. A couple of times a week I got these feelings of faint disapproval when I addressed him. Then I read descriptions of ancient visions, in which he was always said to be dressed in plain white. Would a god actually care what his image looked like? I told him I'd do a divination with the Yi Jing so that he could indicate whether he wanted the image repainted, and I got the hexagram "decoration"! Three coats of white paint later I got no more feelings of disapproval. Why did it matter? Mine not to reason why.

From what i know deities tend to be telepathic and that you somehow know what they are saying even if they aren't having a conversation with you. Many have said to have experiences with these deities which implies that they are out there. Some say they receive visions. Gods can be allies like nature spirits, devas angels ect.I believe the deities made us what we are and really nature and deities should be shown with respect. We could not live without water, so we show appreciation. We cannot live without trees show we show appreciation and I believe the deities at some point in the past interacted with us and left but gave us a means to contact them, through meditation and so forth.

I guess it's more of a personal feeling. My dad died a while ago and a couple weeks later he visited me. It was in a dream but it was realistic and I could not tell who it was at first until he hugged me and then I started crying and embracing the hug. He didn't say any words yet I knew what he was saying as he said he was alright and he'd always be there for me.I heard deities and spirits communicate through telepathy and you can just feel what they are saying through visions and dreams.

Akivah

For me, it wasn't a sudden event, it was more a capstone to years of experiences. The knowledge that G-d is real isn't something that I can demonstrate to anyone else. It merely made the most logical sense to my particular facts and circumstances. So I never bother trying to convince anyone else. I figure each individual can only come to that realization on their own.

Acim

Revelation all the time

From Reason. Still a work in progress. The Reality of God is, for me, the Reality of Existence. Were I not on a religious forum, I may just go with Reality of Existence and know to myself that means God. As God can have many meanings/conceptions, I have grown in awareness, and therefore understanding, that Love is one of the better, if not best, conceptions of God. Along with forgiveness, there is endless opportunity with that conception to experience God/Existence.

I have had actual experience(s) that made the understanding significantly more 'real.' I have to put real in quotes -real- because material existence itself is, as I understand it, unreal. Doesn't mean, I don't have faith in its existence and proceed accordingly (in very practical ways), but does mean I have ongoing understanding that I filter existence through what I understand to be illusion of self/reality. Anyway, the experience lasted weeks for me and hindsight, intellectual explanation, I find does not do it justice. With that experience came Knowledge, and a knowing that regardless of allegiance to the illusion, the Reality is known to me (and all). That the Reality is actual existence and what holds perceptual order together. While the experience was a bit mystical, it was also plainly obvious. And while there were spectacles that wow me on hindsight, it was easily the joy factor and the fact that every conceivable situation was seen as a welcomed opportunity (for greater joy, connection with souls directly related to my existence). I regularly refer to this experience as a moment of Grace (understanding that to be of God). Since that experience, that lasted several weeks, I have surely had what I'd refer to as glimpses, or similar experiences lasting less than a day, sometimes 1 to 5 minutes. Because of how it impacts overall awareness, coupled with Reason that you'll see me not be shy about expressing, I find it implausible to return to doubting in God, and maintain integrity. I'll entertain doubts for sure, but they are generally very short lived and in intellectual discussion are for sake of argument (point / counter point).