• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did the Titans come to be seen as evil in modern times?

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
Just as the title suggest.

I haven't done any preliminary research, so I'd like to hear what everyone else says.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
It could be the Titans were an older set of deities whose worship was supplanted by the Olympians - hence the Titan War - and they were cast as malevolent by Olympian priests to make their cults increasingly unpopular. And perhaps this view has just persisted to modern times because nobody thought to change it.

There's another possibility - I'm reading a book on Dionysus just now which mentions the Orphic Mysteries It quotes Pausanias who lived in 200CE, author of Description of Greece describing the creator of the Orphic Mysteries, a man called Onomakritos thus:

"in the orgies he composed for Dionysos he made the Titans the authors of the god's sufferings".

It could be that minor innocuous changes to local myths and cult practises here and there (like the one described above) led to the Titans falling out of favour with the Hellenes.

Alitheia Aylso

Philosopher

I haven't done any preliminary research, so I'd like to hear what everyone else says.

Maybe Christians tried to make the role of the greek gods like their "good' God and tried to relate the titans to their demons.

They seemed to at least do that to Hades.

syo

I think modern scholars took the ''god vs satan'' and applied it to the titans.

I think people i

n general view others as evil. I guess it's wanting to be in control, which is very tough to do in this world, with more than 7 billion people.