• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did fundamental consciousness arise from basic chemistry

godnotgod

Thou art That
As good a story as any. At one time, I thought this was a possibility as well, but what do I know?

The answer we seek may well lie in knowing nothing, and simply seeing, what is.

That Nothing is the source of Everything cannot be known via the thinking mind

godnotgod

Thou art That
Or that consciousness can be an emergent property.

Yes, that is the current scientific hypothesis. It's called 'Emergent Theory', but in reality, does not actually qualify as such. But the question being asked is: How does non-material consciousness emerge from the material brain?

I would suggest the exact opposite, for the reason that, without a brain to store information and process the body's autonomic functions, such as breathing, heart beat, digestion, etc. consciousness would have to perform these functions up front, which would get in the way of focusing on the immediate events in the present moment, such as a tiger about to spring from the bush, or a car careening towards us from around the corner. So consciousness creating the brain is the best solution to put those functions in a place where they won't interfere with what humans do: social interaction and spontaneous response when needed.

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
At each scale of reality new phenomenon emerge? Sounds too haphazard for what consciousness is and does.

Without memory consciousness would be an idle property, so reality must contain a memory systemia. As for the intelligence of consciousness, consciousness would have to be a living system. A non living intelligence would not do anything unless programmed to do so.

Most likely we are spawned from a living consciousness that is adaptive and learns as it goes. The dimension of counsciousness flies totally off of our radar.

So the consciousness struggles to shape reality in its neverending struggle with the physical.

godnotgod

Thou art That
So the consciousness struggles to shape reality in its neverending struggle with the physical.

Mind is what creates those conceptual frameworks and then struggles to fit reality into them. Cease the activities of the mind, and then there is no problem, because consciousness and the material world are one and the same.

Milton Platt

Your question is topsy-turvey because your premise is topsy-turvey.

The One Universal Consciousness is the Witness of ALL that it has become or is appearing as.

So, the consciousness is aware of the atomic particle and its environment.
You are asking the wrong guy (the particle) instead of asking The right One (consciousness).

EDIT: On the same lines, the One Consciousness is witness (sAkshI) and aware of what is going on in a human brain, not the brain chemicals.

I doubt you can substantiate such claims. Define "the consciousness" and demonstrate that it is something that is present absent a brain.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
I doubt you can substantiate such claims. Define "the consciousness" and demonstrate that it is something that is present absent a brain.
I can only give you subjective experiences and examples from myself and others, but unfortunately atheists do not trust those.

Many are asking someone for some info, but when they share what they have discovered (upon request), the askers almost imply that the other person is lying.

Scientific evidence is the last step. For evidence of the spiritual, one has to seek the spiritual within and discover for themselves.

Open minded scientists like Einstein (who had read the Bhagvad Geeta - his source of inspiration) have made their discoveries on the basis of faith in a possibility.

A simple example: Say one's Grandma who passed away 8 months ago, visits them in a dream. She is giving them hints about some event and asking them to be careful, and giving her blessings.
Next morning, the dreamer follows the hints and it clearly protects them.
Who is this Grandma in your dream? She has left the body a long ago. No brain.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
The elements of life originated from stars in outer space. Hydrogen, Helium and Carbon. It is quite the conundrum to try to understand how consciousness arose from the chemistry of these basic elements. The only reasonable thing we can deduce is that consciousness is universal.

"I don't know how consciousness came to be. Therefore, consciousness is universal."
Do you see the problem here ?

godnotgod

Thou art That
"I don't know how consciousness came to be. Therefore, consciousness is universal."

There is no problem. Universal consciousness does not arise from brain chemistry; it is something that has always been present. Besides, your wording is twisted to fit your own teeth.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
There is no problem. Universal consciousness does not arise from brain chemistry; it is something that has always been present. Besides, your wording is twisted to fit your own teeth.

Since you can't prove any of that, I don't see why you bother posting it.
The wording accurately represents what he stated.

jonathan180iq

Flip. And Flop.

You can't plant an accusation on Koldo when you're the guilty party in this exchange.

You have to first establish that consciousness is Universal, and then that it does not arise from brain chemistry, and that it has always been present... That's a hefty task.

This seems to be the current "fire" issue for theists of all brands, as it lends credence to their worldviews. But I've yet to see a sound argument for it. Kudos if you can prove me wrong.

Shad

Veteran Member
The elements of life originated from stars in outer space. Hydrogen, Helium and Carbon. It is quite the conundrum to try to understand how consciousness arose from the chemistry of these basic elements. The only reasonable thing we can deduce is that consciousness is universal.

No. At best it is a local phenomena as it is only found here on Earth and it is limited to the higher orders of complexity such as animals and humans and not lower orders such as bacteria.