• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How common are Sikhs that don't keep the 5 K?

WonderingWanderer

Love for all religions
I was raised Christian, but have spent the majority of my life on a spiritual journey and the last 15 years studying mainly Indian philosophy/religion. Most of that time I considered myself a Buddhist, but I started to feel a yearning for the presence of God in my life. For the past few years I have been oscillating between Hindu religion (mainly Vedanta and teachings of the Gita) and Sikhi. I love Guru Nanak, I have such deep respect for him, as well as the other Sikh Gurus and Sikhi in general. Every time I get really "into" Sikhi I turn away because of the 5 Ks though. If I were a single man then sure I would probably adopt the 5 K, or at least try hard, but I have a wife and young children and doing so would really upset my wife and probably ruin my marriage. Also, for me the teachings of Guru Nanak being against rituals and "show" of religion (there is no Hindu there is no Mussalman) makes me think Guru Nanak probably wouldn't even promote the 5 Ks. So, I guess my question is, is it common that Sikhs don't keep the 5 Ks? Is there some "reform Sikhi?" Lately I have been more identifying as a "Nanak Panthi," but I do love Sikhi in general and want to identify as a Sikh, but without the 5k? Interested to get Sikh perspectives on this. Thanks.

Om shanti shanti shanti

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, I am not a Sikh but my respect for Sri Guru Nanak is no less. I suppose you know there are millions of Hindus who consider Sri Guru Nanak as their sole spiritual guide. They do not keep 5 K's. Many Sikhs and Hindus too, in India and elsewhere just keep a 'kara'. 5K' should not deter you in any way. There is no 'reform Sikhi', it is one's choice. Sri Guru Gobind Singh started the tradition for his age. The 5 K's alone do not make one Sikh. He demanded many other things from Sikhs.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was raised Christian, but have spent the majority of my life on a spiritual journey and the last 15 years studying mainly Indian philosophy/religion. Most of that time I considered myself a Buddhist, but I started to feel a yearning for the presence of God in my life. For the past few years I have been oscillating between Hindu religion (mainly Vedanta and teachings of the Gita) and Sikhi. I love Guru Nanak, I have such deep respect for him, as well as the other Sikh Gurus and Sikhi in general. Every time I get really "into" Sikhi I turn away because of the 5 Ks though. If I were a single man then sure I would probably adopt the 5 K, or at least try hard, but I have a wife and young children and doing so would really upset my wife and probably ruin my marriage. Also, for me the teachings of Guru Nanak being against rituals and "show" of religion (there is no Hindu there is no Mussalman) makes me think Guru Nanak probably wouldn't even promote the 5 Ks. So, I guess my question is, is it common that Sikhs don't keep the 5 Ks? Is there some "reform Sikhi?" Lately I have been more identifying as a "Nanak Panthi," but I do love Sikhi in general and want to identify as a Sikh, but without the 5k? Interested to get Sikh perspectives on this. Thanks.

Om shanti shanti shanti

At the Gurudwara I've been to a couple of times (Canada) I would guess about 30% of the men put on the temporary 'scarf hat' when they enter. (Apologies for forgetting what they call it) Lots of liberal Sikhs out there.

ajay0

If I were a single man then sure I would probably adopt the 5 K, or at least try hard, but I have a wife and young children and doing so would really upset my wife and probably ruin my marriage.

Inspired by Guru Gobind Singh in my youth, I used to wear long hair and beard and an iron bangle myself, much to the annoyance of my mother and aunt who disliked the beard part.

I think the 5 Ks are very demanding, and this was instituted by Guru Gobind Singh back then to empower the Indian masses who were demoralised by tyrannical rulers. The suffix 'Singh' was added, which meant lion.

Indeed Khalsa sikhs do look leonine, but a beard also should not be a sole sign of masculinity. Masculine qualities like strength (mental and physical), courage, independence, positive mental attitude even in adversity (chardi kala ) , perseverance, dignity and self-respect, determination, chivalry are better symbols and signs of masculinity than a beard or moustache.

So, I guess my question is, is it common that Sikhs don't keep the 5 Ks?

Yes, there are many Sikhs who do not keep the 5 Ks.

Jagjit Singh was a famous Indian singer, composer and musician known for his soulful music. He was a Sikh who did not keep the 5 Ks.

Is there some "reform Sikhi?" Lately I have been more identifying as a "Nanak Panthi," but I do love Sikhi in general and want to identify as a Sikh, but without the 5k? Interested to get Sikh perspectives on this. Thanks.

Om shanti shanti shanti

Yes, you can identify yourself as a 'Nanak Panthi' , without the 5k. There are many who do this. You can enter the gurudwara with a bandanna or handkerchief or cloth covering your hair. That's all that is needed.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Pagri / Pag. Once my attention was somewhere else and I entered the Gurudwara prayer hall without covering my had with the scarf. People pointed it out and I retraced my steps to get a scarf. No problem at all. Covering of head for women as well as men was considered essential in Indian culture, especially if elders were around.. But people always find substitutes. Many cover their head with their hand while receiving prasad. However, that does not work in a Gurudwara. :)

A sister applying the mark on brothers forehead during Rakshabandhan festivities.
5393df98ebea28a3791ec0565010f0ba.jpg

Last edited:

WonderingWanderer

Love for all religions
Inspired by Guru Gobind Singh in my youth, I used to wear long hair and beard and an iron bangle myself, much to the annoyance of my mother and aunt who disliked the beard part.

I think the 5 Ks are very demanding, and this was instituted by Guru Gobind Singh back then to empower the Indian masses who were demoralised by tyrannical rulers. The suffix 'Singh' was added, which meant lion.

Indeed Khalsa sikhs do look leonine, but a beard also should not be a sole sign of masculinity. Masculine qualities like strength (mental and physical), courage, independence, positive mental attitude even in adversity (chardi kala ) , perseverance, dignity and self-respect, determination, chivalry are better symbols and signs of masculinity than a beard or moustache.

Yes, there are many Sikhs who do not keep the 5 Ks.

Jagjit Singh was a famous Indian singer, composer and musician known for his soulful music. He was a Sikh who did not keep the 5 Ks.

Yes, you can identify yourself as a 'Nanak Panthi' , without the 5k. There are many who do this. You can enter the gurudwara with a bandanna or handkerchief or cloth covering your hair. That's all that is needed.

I agree about the reasons Guru Gobind Singh instituted the Khalsa. I've read a couple books on the history of Sikhi and it makes sense, but obviously times have changed.

WonderingWanderer

Love for all religions
Pagri / Pag. Once my attention was somewhere else and I entered the Gurudwara prayer hall without covering my had with the scarf. People pointed it out and I retraced my steps to get a scarf. No problem at all. Covering of head for women as well as men was considered essential in Indian culture, especially if elders were around.. But people always find substitutes. Many cover their head with their hand while receiving prasad. However, that does not work in a Gurudwara. :)

A sister applying the mark on brothers forehead during Rakshabandhan festivities.
5393df98ebea28a3791ec0565010f0ba.jpg

Are people at Gurudwara generally accepting and welcoming of "outsiders" coming in? There are a couple Gurudwaras nearby and I have wanted to go, but have been nervous (and now Covid has put a pause on that, as well).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Are people at Gurudwara generally accepting and welcoming of "outsiders" coming in? There are a couple Gurudwaras nearby and I have wanted to go, but have been nervous (and now Covid has put a pause on that, as well).
You have to go there and experience it. I do not think Sikhs have an equal in that respect (and their free community kitchens). They are proud to act as volunteers. Sri Guru Nanak distributed all that he had to the needy and even all grain in the storage of the Muslim noble for whom he worked.

"Jai Ram, Nanaki's husband, was employed at a modikhana (a storehouse for revenues collected in non-cash form), in the service of the Delhi Sultanate's Lahore governor Daulat Khan, at which Ram would help Nanak get a job. Nanak moved to Sultanpur, and started working at the modikhana around the age of 16." Guru Nanak - Wikipedia

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I've been twice here. (I'm white.) It's not complicated at all. All you do is go in, remove shoes, wear a scarf, and sit for awhile. Many folks also go up to the front where the book is, and a priest or volunteer is chanting scripture. You can circle that area if you want to but it's not necessary. If the gurudwara you go to has ongoing langar (free food) you can go partake. When I went, it seemed the custom to eat in silence. Then you leave. WRT Covid, on most days there would be social distancing anyway, as there isn't much of a crowd, other than at festivals. It's basically just a large empty hall. Men and women sat separately, in both the main hall, and langar hall.

So, yeah, go for it. I can't imagine anything that could possibly go wrong.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sikhs will be most courtious to visitors and happy to explain anything that you want to know. Yes, there is a segregation of men and women in the prayer hall, but I have not seen 1. any segregation at the food lines, and 2. no restriction on talking, at least here in India.
sikh langar - Google Search