• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how can you explain life without God?

still convinced there is no God???

• yes

Votes: 51 87.9%
  • no

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters

student20

so as an atheist you do not believe in God, so how do you explain the universe being made, the earth being formed, and mankind including animals being created???

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
so as an atheist you do not believe in God, so how do you explain the universe being made, the earth being formed, and mankind including animals being created???
you really think atheists have not been exposed to this line of reasoning? Just search the forums. Asked and answered many times.

HonestJoe

As a rule, I generally don't. If pushed, I present the naturalistic theories proposed to account for those events. I don't pretend to know the answer but they seem no less likely that an eternal, all-powerful deity (it's worth noting that I don't hold that there is definitely no god or gods, I just don't believe in the existence of any).

Well, that or magic space pixies. :D

Assuming you do believe in a god, how do you explain how it came to be?

Last edited:

lunakilo

still convinced there is no God???
Which god are we talking about?
Not all gods claim responsibility for creating the universe you know.

Why do you feel it my responsibility as an atheist to explain how the universe was made, earth formed and life began?

I personally don't buy into the "God-did-it explanation" to the above question (unless you define God as everyting which exists, then God may be the culprit ;)).

I don't know how universe was made, earth formed and life began. They are big questions and the answers will probably not be easy to come by, but to simply give up the search for the answer and claim that because you don't know the answer some great magical being must have done it doesn't make sense to me.

Just because I don't know the answer doesn't mean there isn't one.

Personally I would look to science in order to try and answer the above questions.
But that is just my personal opinion on the topics and other atheista may have different ideas.

Creation of the universe: Cosmogony
Formation of Earth: Formation_and_evolution_of_the_Solar_System
Beginning of life: Abiogenesis

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You do realize that the default answer to this question is "I don't know", not "God did it", right?

God's a hypothesis that has to be defended on its own merits. And if not being able to adequately explain a hypothesis means we should throw it out (as you seem to be arguing), then if not being able to answer "where did the universe come from?" means we should reject naturalistic explanations, then not being able to answer "where did God come from" means we should reject special creation.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I find the Universe to be wonderous and awe inspiring, it has always fanscinated me including the great mystery of its origins. Which is just that - a great mystery. I don't think humanity will ever understand this vast Universe, let alone its origins. If the "big-bang" theory is correct, how did it come about, what triggered it? I see no evidence to support the theory of some sort of divine intelligence that created the Cosmos. The Infinite and its origins are mysteries which mankind will continually strive to unravel.

Reyn til Runa.
/Adramelek\

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The God hypothesis never was an explanation, just an assertion of agency. The mechanism, apparently, is magic.

It's science that explores actual 'explanations.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I don't really. Nor do I see what that has to do with the idea of God, either.

strikeviperMKII

Being a theist, I can't explain how the earth was formed, the universe being made and mankind and animals being created.

I'm surprised that you think you can.

Wow. 13 atheists are 'convinced' there is no God and only one other atheist other than me thinks there might be one? And I thought hard atheism went out of fashion... Sigh :facepalm:

lunakilo

Wow. 13 atheists are 'convinced' there is no God and only one other atheist other than me thinks there might be one? And I thought hard atheism went out of fashion... Sigh :facepalm:
That is what comes out of silly pools like that.

What does the word convinced mean anyway?

From convinced - definition of convinced by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.:
Adj.
1.convinced - persuaded of; very sure; "were convinced that it would be to their advantage to join"; "I am positive he is lying"; "was confident he would win"
2.convinced - having a strong belief or conviction; "a convinced and fanatical pacifist"
I cannot say for sure is God exists, but I from the arguments I have heard for and against the existence of God, the 'against' arguments win for me.

Answering no to the question 'Still convienced there is no God?' to me sounds like the 'for' arguments have convienced me.

The 'Do you think God exist'-question isn't really a yes/no question, so the poll is bacically broken.

Last edited: