• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can we know?

mitra

How we can know when a one write/talk from personal experience or from most from head/intellect?

Onkara

Hi Mitra
In a word "spontaneity". A spontaneous answer is usually more heart felt and genuine than an intellectual answer. Of course intellect is very useful, especially if focused and controlled, it can lead us to bliss. But if you wish to talk from your "soul" so to speak, then just go for it. Applying any rule to trying to talk from personal experience will lead us back into the maze of the intellect. :)

Willowmina

On a journey to the ocean
Hi Mitra
In a word "spontaneity". A spontaneous answer is usually more heart felt and genuine than an intellectual answer. Of course intellect is very useful, especially if focused and controlled, it can lead us to bliss. But if you wish to talk from your "soul" so to speak, then just go for it. Applying any rule to trying to talk from personal experience will lead us back into the maze of the intellect. :)

I'm back! :D My retreat fell through...shame...

Friend Onkarah...so is your answer heart or mind based? :sarcastic
Personally, I find my mind can bring me more into confusion than bliss...I hope Mitra will understand your post...I see he speaks a bit broken English...

Willowmina

I don't know..:confused:

"Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here."

__Cheshire the Cat
ZCat6.gif

I'm not sure either, but yes, we're all a bit mad, aren't we?

Onkara

I'm back! :D My retreat fell through...shame...

Friend Onkarah...so is your answer heart or mind based? :sarcastic
Personally, I find my mind can bring me more into confusion than bliss...I hope Mitra will understand your post...I see he speaks a bit broken English...

Pitty, I hope you find something to do with your free time :)

Sometimes I read my own posts a few days later and feel confused, so I wish Mitra luck with that one too. lol. :eek: I like to think it comes from the heart, I mean well.

I just mean above that one shouldn't think about it in any detail. Don't analyse it. Just say what comes from within.

When we start thinking and anlysing situations we can often end up feeling something is wrong in our life. That someone is perhaps playing tricks with us or cheating us and we should do something to stop them. This all comes from thinking too much. Best to feel the love and speak from the heart.

The mind can lead us to bliss or keep us from it. It is most amazing tool. It is the intellect, which is the part we use when answering academic problems which allows us to find answers to our questions. When focused on good things and reading good things it can help us find answers in scriptures, mathematics or any problem we find. Intellect can overcome negativity and doubt, but if we forget this little trick and just let ourselves slip into worry and believe in our doubts and negativity we really never give ourselves a chance, we sit feeling fed up, going down and down in our heart. That is my worse experience. :) Best to get up and sign a song really loud and wake up the neighbourhood! yeah! :D

Last edited:

lemo

How we can know when a one write/talk from personal experience or from most from head/intellect?
mitra,
Is it possible you're trying to ask, " what is the difference between wisdom (personal experience) and knowledge (intellect)"?

Last edited:

Onkara

If one's answer is relevant/useful, what difference does it make?

From my perspective it boils down to Truth. In Dharma philosophy a question and answer from the mind is not reliable. The mind is changeable and truth by it's nature is not. That is at least how I understand this question :)

mitra

Hello,
My friend who speaks good English say me join Religious Forum so I can improve English.
He say : me not be afraid people kind there. He say: you went 47 year ago to Japan to study zen Buddhism and you not speak English or Japanese. You study 1 year and you have no problem. So me join RF.
In japan me meet famos zen masters and they all say drop mind for experience zen. Monks there do this meditate many hours and also use koans and zen stories.
I meet in Kamakura D. Suzuki. He very famos and write many book about zen. He also say me same thing, drop mind become child. Me say, but you write so many books. You must do this with mind. He again say drop mind and smile.
In India I also learn to drop mind but in a different way then Japan.
After 47 year me still practice drop mind.
Many ways for us learn be spontaneous children like.
Thank you, Onkarah, Miss Alice, Peacewise, Willowmina, Lemo, Atotalstranger for reply.

Willowmina

Mitra, I meant no offense in saying you spoke broken English... you've made yourself understood quite well.
For myself, I would just ask. But then in many ways I'm a bit naive.
I like to believe people speak from the heart and are basically honest in relating their personal experiences if they are willing to share those. Of course there's always the possibility that the mind, for whatever reasons, remembers things differently than they actually are/were/could be, and makes up it's own story.
How can we tell?

PS...drop mind and smile :yes:

Last edited:

Willowmina

Pitty, I hope you find something to do with your free time :)

I'll come and give you are hard time :D (not)

When we start thinking and anlysing situations we can often end up feeling something is wrong in our life. That someone is perhaps playing tricks with us or cheating us and we should do something to stop them. This all comes from thinking too much. Best to feel the love and speak from the heart.

Giving people/situations the benefit of the doubt?

Intellect can overcome negativity and doubt, but if we forget this little trick and just let ourselves slip into worry and believe in our doubts and negativity we really never give ourselves a chance, we sit feeling fed up, going down and down in our heart. That is my worse experience. :) Best to get up and sign a song really loud and wake up the neighbourhood! yeah! :D

Is it just the intellect where we have to let go of negativity and doubt? Or do we not have to also let go emotionally and deeper?
...Ahhmmm...as for singing really loud and waking the neighbours...they'd throw the boot at me for singing off key :p

Onkara

Hello,
My friend who speaks good English say me join Religious Forum so I can improve English.
He say : me not be afraid people kind there. He say: you went 47 year ago to Japan to study zen Buddhism and you not speak English or Japanese. You study 1 year and you have no problem. So me join RF.
In japan me meet famos zen masters and they all say drop mind for experience zen. Monks there do this meditate many hours and also use koans and zen stories.
I meet in Kamakura D. Suzuki. He very famos and write many book about zen. He also say me same thing, drop mind become child. Me say, but you write so many books. You must do this with mind. He again say drop mind and smile.
Thank you, Onkarah, Miss Alice, Peacewise, Willowmina, Lemo, Atotalstranger for reply.

Wow, Mitra! Such wonderful experiences life has given you. I hope you share more with us, please. :bow: :)

Onkara

I'll come and give you are hard time :D (not)

Giving people/situations the benefit of the doubt?

Is it just the intellect where we have to let go of negativity and doubt? Or do we not have to also let go emotionally and deeper?
...Ahhmmm...as for singing really loud and waking the neighbours...they'd throw the boot at me for singing off key :p

haha! :)
Yes, we shouldn't attribute maliciousness and cunning to people and situations. Instead we see everything as a wonderful lesson unfolding from the greatest story teller :) If the method is to forgive others, then fine. The play is later found to be in our minds eye, so there is no need to forgive another, but rather remember love.

Negativity is not natural, our natural state is happiness, bliss and a sense of contentment. It is memory which makes us thinks things could have been better in the past and imagination that makes us think things could be better (or worse) now or in the future. Both memory and imagination belong to the mind. Let go of both and see the moment as the pivoting point.

Emotions are contaminated by negative thinking, I find. So don't believe the negative thoughts (this might be called Satan in some religions). Instead remember you are spontaneous happiness, it needs no thoughts to know that :D

Anyway, I have contaminated Mitra's question with my thoughts and philsophy of love, haha. So I will sit back and enjoy the moment, and let others answer the OP. :run: :p

lemo

Hello,
mitra,
Sometimes speaking good diction is not everything. Most of the things concerning spiritual does not require speaking but knowing. Sometimes language only hints, but the rest is realized through experience. I believe your understanding is great, unfortunately, explaining those experiences in English is the barrier.....I have been waiting for someone like you to come. Please share with us.

Last edited: