• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can I get to know God?

Becoming

I wont go over my whole life story but to put it short, I was not raised Christian but I now believe Christianity to be true. But right now, God is just an object of intellect for me, not a real divine presence. I only believe in God only passively, not actively. I can easily defend Christianity using philosophical and historical arguments as I am well familiar with them, but the truth is that Christ still feels quite distant from me. Can anyone help me get to know Christ and have him in my life? Much appreciated, thank you.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Hi, Becoming! Welcome to the Forum! You placed this thread in the Christian DIR, I see. I myself am not a Christian and, according to the rules here, I am thus not allowed to express in this DIR any thoughts I might have about what you've said and the question you've asked. However, I just wanted to sincerely wish you the best of luck in your quest to know your God.

rusra02

Premium Member
I wont go over my whole life story but to put it short, I was not raised Christian but I now believe Christianity to be true. But right now, God is just an object of intellect for me, not a real divine presence. I only believe in God only passively, not actively. I can easily defend Christianity using philosophical and historical arguments as I am well familiar with them, but the truth is that Christ still feels quite distant from me. Can anyone help me get to know Christ and have him in my life? Much appreciated, thank you.

James 4:8 urges us to "Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you." I believe real faith is based on accurate knowledge about God and Christ, and accurate knowledge is found in the Bible. So to be God's friend, I believe we must learn what the Bible really teaches about God and Christ, and then practice it. The challenge we face is there are hundreds, even thousands of churches all claiming to be Christian. Jesus said many claiming to be his followers are, in fact, "workers of lawlessness." (Matthew 7:21-23) Despite this, the "true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him." (John 4:23) By praying to the true God for accurate knowledge and by learning what his word the Bible teaches, I am convinced God will draw close to us, and we to him.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

From Acts of the Apostles 8:28-30 we can see the Inquiring Ethiopian official got to know Christ through the Christian Philip helping him understand from Scripture.
Since all Scripture is God inspired - 2 Timothy 3:16-17 - then we need to spend quality time with the Bible - Acts of the Apostles 17:11
Since the Bible is Not written ABC as a dictionary, then we need to search or research the Scriptures by topic or subject arrangement.
Jesus taught that we should pray for God's holy spirit to help us - Luke 11:13 B
So, through (1) prayer, (2) the pages of Scripture, and (3) association with genuine Christians, one can get to know Christ and have him in one's life or life style.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Thank help, who knows you may have changed my life in this world and hereafter

Praise His everlasting name, He has saved Becoming from his sin and caused him to be born again of the Spirit!

Only believe in Jesus, friend. He is the truth, the way and the life. And welcome!

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Thank help, who knows you may have changed my life in this world and hereafter

This world is full of sorrow - 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13; Revelation 12:12
What is the real ' biblical hereafter ' world that people speak about.
According to Scripture, Jesus opened up the way to heaven for some who died ' after ' Jesus died.
They have a first or earlier resurrection and will serve mankind on Earth for a thousand years with Christ - Revelation 20:6; Revelation 5:9-10
People who died before Jesus - John 3:13 - looked forward to a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection back to life on Earth.
Even Kind David did Not ascend to heaven - Acts of the Apostles 2:34 - nor did John the Baptizer - Matthew 11:11
So, they, like the people named in Hebrews chapter 11, will be awakened from death's sleep during Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth when enemy death will be No more on Earth - Daniel 12:2; 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8; Revelation 22:2
So, the ' biblical hereafter ' is Not some mysterious invisible place but life on Earth. Notice at Revelation 22:2 mentions the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' on Earth for the healing of earth's nations. So, through Christ's coming millennium-long day of governing over Earth, most or mankind will be brought back to healthy physical life on Earth with the opportunity to live forever on a beautiful paradisical Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.

Araceli Cianna

Prayer and meditation are ways to get closer to God. Learning to hear God's voice too (which is what I do during meditation - wait upon him to speak to me)

ronandcarol

Premium Member
John 14:7 tells us, If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!"
The New Testament will give you an exceptional understanding of who Jesus is and He and the Father God are one.

ronandcarol

Andrew Gooding

Back to the Basics!
All I can do really is share how my walk with Jesus is and maybe you might pick up an idea or two and adapt it to your own situation. :) As a Confessional Lutheran I do three things in the morning that tend to enhance my day: #1: say Martin Luther's Morning Prayer, which acknowledges God's protection during the night just past and thanks Him for allowing me to see another day, #2: I read some chapters out of the Bible and #3: I read an article or two out of Concordia: the Book of Lutheran Confessions. When I feel led by the Spirit, at any time of day, I'll unload on God, pray to Him out loud ( in privacy, of course) and express my thoughts, wants, needs, confess any thing I felt I did wrong and ask for forgiveness and thank Him for His generosity towards me and my loved ones. last thing i do at night is read Martin Luther's Evening Prayer. It is very curious how much we can internalize those things we read and when we put things into practice ( Divine Service on Sunday, fellowship with other Christians, receiving the Word and Sacrament), the Lord becomes very evident in life ( at least for me). Some days are better than others, but this is an outline of my own devotional life.

tth1119

Search for knowledge, and knowledge will find you. You have to honestly search for it though. You have to know what you are doing is what you want to do. You can't do something just because your family says so, or society says so. Once you decide to find what is true, and make honest effort to look for it, it will find you. It doesn't matter what those things are. If those things are a religion, then you'll find your answers. If those things are wanting to better yourself, you'll find your answers. I see God everyday. I see God everywhere. I have found God, cause I honestly looked for God. God exists everywhere for me, I couldn't see life without a God now because nothing would exist. I don't see a religious God though, or a God that is in our form. I see God as everything. I see God as being the beautiful sunset whenever I have a bad day, God is there to show me the beauty of what is real. Once I learn the lesson that bad day taught me, I see God there too. I say, well this is what I had to do to see this bad thing that happened, but now it is great. This is awesome. I give my thanks and appreciation, I don't complain about it.

Deidre

If you're interested in Christianity, the New Testament is a good place to start, but also meditate/pray, and let the Holy Spirit guide you. You say that you don't view God as divine, necessarily, but meditation can be a good way to connect with what you may perceive as a god.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

How do you get to know someone, someone in a position of authority over you, who is meant to guide you? Trust them, follow their lead.

1. When you read the Bible, ask God for fresh light, to understand something new there you've never understood before today.

2. When you see a command in the Bible to do, do it.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
You are becoming Christ yourself, i.e. being anointed with the Spirit. Continue to observe and test the spirits. Put your brothers before yourself, loving your enemies, even them that persecute you; and offer all of your sacrifices in one accord, remembering Cain and Abel.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
John 14:7 tells us, If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!"
The New Testament will give you an exceptional understanding of who Jesus is and He and the Father God are one.
ronandcarol

Why stop at verse 7 because John 14:28 says who is greater than Jesus ? ________

Since Jesus prayed his followers be ' one ' as he and his Father are one - John 17:11; John 17:21-23 was Jesus praying they all become God ?

As gospel writer John wrote at John 1:18 that No man has seen God at any time..... - 1 John 4:12; John 6:46; Exodus 33:20