• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are these Great Beings explained?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Cool picture. Are the men in robes monks? Accessibility is an essential part of religion IMHO. You may find a philosophy or religion that makes perfect sense but there are no Faith communities within travelling distance Then you have to start your own, and not everyone can do that.... or go online (not very satisfying).

Yep. Thats the local abbot in the middle. To the left is the nun who invited me. I was at a resterant near the temple. We were in line when I asked her if she was a nun and what lineage since nuns here are a dime and a few. She asked if I were buddhist after small talk and I told her I follow Buddhist teachings but havent formally taken precepts. She invited me to the ceremony and I recieved the precepts then. I was lucky because I wouldnt have given the language barrier and we had to make prearrangements to take them. There was an English translator so something about my karma must have helped out. ;)

Language is another barrier. Having texts that are written in English as well as services and meetings conducted in English would be ideal. I like the idea of hanging out with the children and learning Vietnamese.

Yeah. They have class once a week. Its a fifty dollar trip without tip one way. Many cabs dont like going out that far. Id go to the other temple and their classes. Its a about a three hour trip public transport but little less than an hour if I drove. Expensive by cab.

My first contact with the Buddhists was through the Tibetan Buddhists. I used to attend meetings and the words of Buddha would be chanted (in Tibetan or Sanskrit I think, not in English) and we would have a talk given by Venerable Geshe Ngawang Dhargyey (One of the monks translated iinto English).

Thats wonderful. There are a lot of traditions in tibetan school. The tradition I practice is Gulung. The Dali Lama practices that. The Kadampa traditon was under Gulung. Something happened and The Dalai Lama spoke against Kadampa as not really buddhist. I cant remember what happened. I went to a prodiminately Buddhisr forum and mentioned Kadampa. I almost got banned. They said the tradition promotes sex abuse. I told them Im in the states and my experiences there was no where near that. Plus its illegal, lol. The Kadampa has tantric practices. Most Tibetan traditions do so I looked up. Lots of misconceptions.

After you mentioned the NIchiren Buddhist a few months back I asked my relatives. This group is seen as been somewhat extreme and fundamentalist.

Very. More than christians to tell you honestly.

I'm certainly trying to get my head around the vastness of Buddhist literature. Your links are really helpful. Despite the shortcomings you have outlined with the BDK, 'Teachings of Buddha' is a good starting point for now, and conversatio

Pure Land isnt that bad. Its not my preference though. The BDK from first impression sounds universalist. Doesnt seem like evangalist. I can handle modern buddhism if there were no push to convert and no quotas.

It sounds like you have good access to a range of temples which is great. I think part of the journey at some stage is having a group of peers you click with.

Exactly. Thank you. Took couple of years of searching for one that clicked. Funny after searching outside my town and neibhoring state, the zen temple I took refuge was only 30mins from me!

I'm aware that there are competing views of theism and non-theism. For now I just study, meditate, and practice.:)

Yep. Meditation is good in any religion. Strengthens ones spiritual connection goal, object, and/or person of worship. Im always at awe with those who have time to devote their whole life to practice.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
This is a letter from the House of Justice about the Resurrection. If you have time you might like to have a glance at it one day.

Resurrection and Return of Jesus
"Pilgrims have recorded in their notes oral statements made by 'Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi to the effect that the disciples hid the body of Christ by burying it under the wall of Jerusalem."

So atheists that have said that the resurrection is a hoax are right?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I can not see i missed any point, I am not confused. It is you that said it was confusion, it was you that posted you were confused and that the explanations cause the confusion.

The key here is, if Moses was right, Jesus was right, Muhammad was right, the Bab was right and Baha'u'llah was right, to name a few. The author of confusion is man not God.

I like it that many Teenagers teach these logical concepts to children and this process has been happening for over 100 years. There were Schools in Russia in the early 1900's that were seen as very progressive and the place to send your children, before wars took this all away in that country. They had certitude in this knowledge, there is no confusion.

I like it that many people that have not even heard about Baha'u'llah already have the Oneness of God implanted on their heart, I have seen this in many Forum replies over the years.

Regards Tony
Do Christians teach the truth about God and Jesus, or are they confused?

"The author of confusion is man not God."? Who wrote the books of the New Testament... God or men?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
How were the Babi, then Bahai able to hide the body of the Bab for around 60 years?

The guards explained away the dissaperance of the Babs Body as well

I like it that the story of the Bab, Mirrors the story of Christ.

Regards Tony
So Christians hid the body of Jesus and made up the story that he had risen from the dead and that they had spoken with him? And how is this some great symbolic story and not a fabricated hoax?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Im confused why you say your not confused when you said you were confused.

Im confused why I need to reply to such confusion.

Regards Tony
Because I was being sarcastic. What are you trying to prove?

The first mention of confusion was that the Bible says God is not the author of confusion. By the very fact that most Christians believe the Bible teaches that Jesus rose from the dead, then certainly he did allow his Scriptures to cause confusion. Or, maybe God did not write the Bible, but fallible people did.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
That would be that a material Body decays and goes back to dust.

I would offer no surprise if they find proof as to where the body of Jesus was layed to rest. But given that at one time only one Babi knew where the body of the Bab was, it is not unreasonanle that the same thing transpired in the time of Christ and the beleiver suffered a fate that did not allow the information to be pased on.

Regards Tony
Were the gospel writers in on the deception? Or did they really believe Jesus had come back to life?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
ß
"The author of confusion is man not God."? Who wrote the books of the New Testament... God or men?

The Christians have the Word that carried them through to the 1800's. Baha'u'llah has explained what they mean in context to world unity and the Oneness of God. It is up to each of them if they wish to consider that Baha'u'llah is who He said He is and them embrace the New Meaning.

The Gospels are confirmed to have been preserved and that we can be confident knowing that they contain the Word of God as spoken by Jesus the Christ.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So Christians hid the body of Jesus and made up the story that he had risen from the dead and that they had spoken with him? And how is this some great symbolic story and not a fabricated hoax?

What made up story? The Resurrection read as a Spiritual understanding is powerful and inspiring.

They can not kill Christ. It was Peter that confirmed Jesus was the Christ and that the Spirit is Life, the flesh mounts to nothing. Upon that belief Christ raised up His Church. All the Great Beings are as alive today as the day they stood on this earth, they are but a heart beat away.

Regards Tony

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
There is a similarity between seeing Jesus body and eating dinner with Him, and the event of Transfiguration on the Mountain, and seeing Moses and Elijah speaking with Jesus.

I quote Wikipedia:

The presence of the prophets next to Jesus and the perceptions of the disciples have been subject to theological debate. Origen was the first to comment that the presence of Moses and Elijah represented the "Law and the Prophets", referring to the Torah (also called the Pentateuch) and the rest of the Hebrew Bible.[23] Martin Luther, continued to see them as the Law and the Prophets respectively, and their recognition of and conversation with Jesus as a symbol of how Jesus fulfills "the law and the prophets" (Matthew 5:17–19, see also Expounding of the Law).[36]

The real presence of Moses and Elijah on the mount is rejected by those churches and individuals who believe in "soul sleep" (Christian mortalism) until resurrection. Several commentators have noted that Jesus describes the transfiguration using the Greek word orama (Matthew 17:9), according to Thayer more often used for a supernatural "vision" than for real physical events,[a] and concluded that Moses and Elijah were not truly there.[37]

Transfiguration of Jesus - Wikipedia
"I'm confused why no Christians show up here to stand up for their belief that Jesus rose physically from the dead."

Let me give you the reason why I think Christians don't post on this thread all that much. They don't care. I don't think most of them care about the Baha'i Faith. I wish they would come by and challenge what Baha'is believe about Christianity. Especially that Jesus is dead and buried, because the empty tomb is a huge selling point for them.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The Christians have the Word that carried them through to the 1800's. Baha'u'llah has explained what they mean in context to world unity and the Oneness of God. It is up to each of them if they wish to consider that Baha'u'llah is who He said He is and them embrace the New Meaning.

The Gospels are confirmed to have been preserved and that we can be confident knowing that they contain the Word of God as spoken by Jesus the Christ.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because I was being sarcastic. What are you trying to prove?

The first mention of confusion was that the Bible says God is not the author of confusion. By the very fact that most Christians believe the Bible teaches that Jesus rose from the dead, then certainly he did allow his Scriptures to cause confusion. Or, maybe God did not write the Bible, but fallible people did.

God speaks to us in the Spirit.

I am sure we have linked you to Abdul'baha's talk on this. How outward things are required to explain Spiritual Truths as there is no words that can adequately explain the Spirit World and realities.

This is an essential understanding, note, essential; here is that link again.

Bahá'í Reference Library - Some Answered Questions, Pages 83-86

Regards Tony

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
What made up story? The Resurrection read as a Spiritual understanding is powerful and inspiring.

They can not kill Christ. It was Peter that confirmed Jesus was the Christ and that the Spirit is Life, the flesh mounts to nothing. Upon that belief Christ raised up His Church. All the Great Beings are as alive today as the day they stood on this earth, they are but a heart beat away.

Regards Tony
Except that Christians teach that Jesus rose physically from the dead. That's a very powerful story. But they are teaching something that isn't true... Which makes it a lie.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Except that Christians teach that Jesus rose physically from the dead. That's a very powerful story. But they are teaching something that isn't true... Which makes it a lie.

This does not cross my mind. They beleive what they do. Baha'u'llah has shown another understanding. We now have a choice.

No matter what I will go each week and join in prayer and thanks giving at my Local Church with the Christains.

The important thing is what we do with our Faith.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"I'm confused why no Christians show up here to stand up for their belief that Jesus rose physically from the dead."

Let me give you the reason why I think Christians don't post on this thread all that much. They don't care. I don't think most of them care about the Baha'i Faith. I wish they would come by and challenge what Baha'is believe about Christianity. Especially that Jesus is dead and buried, because the empty tomb is a huge selling point for them.

Do not worry, they will. Early days as yet.

Regards Tony

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
All I will say is that is for you to decide.

See it as you wish to see it.

Regards Tony
So why don't you want to answer? Christians that believe Jesus is God, that he rose physically from the dead, that people that don't accept Jesus will be sent to hell etc etc. are they right or wrong? Are they teaching the truth about God and Jesus, teaching false doctrines?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
This does not cross my mind. They beleive what they do. Baha'u'llah has shown another understanding. We now have a choice.

No matter what I will go each week and join in prayer and thanks giving at my Local Church with the Christains.

The important thing is what we do with our Faith.

Regards Tony
Yes, people can do great things with their faith. Or they can get all dogmatic about it. But the thing they've put their faith in could be wrong.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So why don't you want to answer? Christians that believe Jesus is God, that he rose physically from the dead, that people that don't accept Jesus will be sent to hell etc etc. are they right or wrong? Are they teaching the truth about God and Jesus, teaching false doctrines?

The thread is full of answers on this topic.

There is certain Truths in all that is offered, by any given person, from their understanding of the Great Beings. It is called 'Frame of Reference'.

That to me, is also another essential material understanding.

Regards Tony