• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honour Killings

ronki23

What are the statistics by religion ?

These seem to be in both Islam and Hinduism: what do the scriptures in each religion say about it ? Surely if it's prohibited then they shouldn't do it because it's easy enough to refrain from pork and beef !

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Women are the embodiment of Goddess, the primal energy of the universe and life-givers. Mistreatment of women, much less killing them, is not condoned in Hindu texts, though it happens. There are a number of reported cases. “Honor killings” are not limited to women, though. Murder most foul: On Kerala ‘honour killing’ case

Women in Hinduism - Wikipedia

“No man, even in anger, should ever do anything that is disagreeable to his wife; for happiness, joy, virtue and everything depend on the wife. Wife is the sacred soil in which the husband is born again, even the Rishis cannot create men without women.” — Adi Parva, Mahabharata Book, 1.74.50-51

“Where women are honoured, there the gods rejoice; where, on the other hand, they are not honoured, there all rites are fruitless“.—Manusmrti (56)

Heyo

Veteran Member

These seem to be in both Islam and Hinduism: what do the scriptures in each religion say about it ? Surely if it's prohibited then they shouldn't do it because it's easy enough to refrain from pork and beef !
I'm not well versed in Islamic or Hinduistic teachings but as far as I know "honour" is not a religious concept, it is cultural.

Hellbound Serpiente

Women are the embodiment of Goddess, the primal energy of the universe and life-givers. Mistreatment of women, much less killing them, is not condoned in Hindu texts, though it happens. There are a number of reported cases. “Honor killings” are not limited to women, though. Murder most foul: On Kerala ‘honour killing’ case

Women in Hinduism - Wikipedia

“No man, even in anger, should ever do anything that is disagreeable to his wife; for happiness, joy, virtue and everything depend on the wife. Wife is the sacred soil in which the husband is born again, even the Rishis cannot create men without women.” — Adi Parva, Mahabharata Book, 1.74.50-51

“Where women are honoured, there the gods rejoice; where, on the other hand, they are not honoured, there all rites are fruitless“.—Manusmrti (56)

This has to be one of the most beautiful lesson I've learned. I love Hinduism and it's teachings. I have seen women of my family treated so badly that it's downright disgusting. Women in general suffer a lot in Pakistan. Anyway, I hope I keep in lesson in mind and treat my future womenfolks with goodness.

Islam doesn't say anything about honor killing. Not a single verse. Don't know why it is usually in Muslim countries women suffer the most

firedragon

Veteran Member

There is no "honour killings" in Islam. If you read through the Quran, there is no way you could murder someone for something as silly as this. It is true that this happens in some societies, but I dont know how to make it a religious matter.

Is there any Hindu scripture that provides sanction for honour killings?

firedragon

Veteran Member
What does Islam say about it ?

You can refer to the Quran. It says that death sentence or taking a life is not acceptable for any other reason other than for murder. In other areas there are discussions of war. But there is nothing whatsoever about any kind of honour killings as modern society words it.

But when you say Islam, as Daniel said above it is not monolithic. No religion is monolithic. Also, countries have certain laws that puts honour killings into the bracket of "provocation" along with other murder like when you find your husband sleeping with a woman and the wife of the man murders her out of provocation. I certainly dont agree with that, and there is nothing in the Quran about it but this is fact. I remember the curious case of a guy called Pranay Kumar who was killed in front of his wife because of his caste. The wife is from a higher caste and the guy was from a low caste so the father even had a contract out to pay the killer of this guy 10 million indian rupees. I understand that there are religious elements in Hinduism where castes are called Varna or colours in some Hindu scripture like the Manu Smrithi.

But, that does not mean Hinduism has any honour killings promoted in any of their theologies. Societies sometimes work in this manner, but putting it on the religion is not a valid endeavour.