• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality in children's media?

Are alternative lifestyles appropriate in children's media?

• I see no problem with this

Votes: 36 80.0%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I have a big problem with this

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
i do not think it should be censored, but if i had children i would not let them watch it. it is not something i would want my children doing, so i would not show it to them.
Sorry john, but if any children you had were gay there would be nothing you could do about it, homosexuality is determined in the womb - they are born gay, not letting them see gay people on tv won't make them less gay. In fact if you forced them to deny their homosexuality you'd just make them depressed and psycologically ill!

Draka

Wonder Woman
I would really like to thank those who have taken this poll so far and for the posts and opinions. I was hoping that it would go this way, the thoughts here have for the most part echoed my own. I am doing a project for my Social Psychology class in college and wanted to see about getting some preliminary information on the possible standpoints of those who might have an opinion on this subject. I hope my actual, in person, experiment is as good as this has been. I really appreciate all of your opinions, thoughts, and help on this matter.

Feel free to keep posting with your thoughts on this matter and discuss. I will leave the poll open for any others wishing to voice their standpoint.

Thank You All!

Walk in the Light and Blessed Be!
Draka

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Children are blank slates. They don't know what is normal, odd or shocking until someone teaches this to them. Everything is new to them. They have to be taught how to react to things or which things are proper to be shocked at.

john5746

I see no problem with this. Done tastefully of course.

It should be mentioned though that Arthur is on PBS, which is government sponsered. So, this wouldn't be gov censorship to get rid of it would it? More like government sponsoring to have it. That's one problem some people have, they are paying for it.

But, as with other bigotry, the majority had to be dragged kicking and screaming to realize how stupid they were. So it is with this case.

Now, how about banning the Michael Jackson case from the news? I can't watch the news with my kids around... Oh well, better not to watch it anyway! :)

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Homosexuality is a fact of life. Children need to be informed of it early on, so they won't be shocked by it later. This is especially important if the child is a homosexual, but hasn't discovered that yet.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I've already posted my views on this, and am relieved to see that they are mostly 'in line' with the majority. What I never understood was the fact that the censors decided that 'Noddy and Big ears' Books for 5-7 year olds(I don't know if you have that in the states) were deemed to have 'indications of homosexuality between the two characters' and therefore 'unfit for the consumption of the market for which they were written'. I've read Noddy & big ears since, and I still can't find anything relating to sex in it!:jiggy:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
This thread is about homosexuality in children's media, not a gay gene or homosexuality debate. Let's focus on the subject. Start another thread if you wish to expand that subject. Thanks.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
michel said:
I've already posted my views on this, and am relieved to see that they are mostly 'in line' with the majority. What I never understood was the fact that the censors decided that 'Noddy and Big ears' Books for 5-7 year olds(I don't know if you have that in the states) were deemed to have 'indications of homosexuality between the two characters' and therefore 'unfit for the consumption of the market for which they were written'. I've read Noddy & big ears since, and I still can't find anything relating to sex in it!:jiggy:
Poor ol' Noddy...I remember that. I used to devour Enid Blyton books when I was a kid (although I leaned more towards the Magic Faraway Tree, Famous Five, and Secret Seven books :p ). I remember lady_lazarus had this Enid Blyton book (one for younger kids, it was only a small book). I don't remember the title, but it was about 3 boys and a raft on a river. She changed several words in the story each time they occurred (e.g. every time the word 'raft' was used, she crossed it out and wrote 'rubber woman'). It's amazing how the tone of an innocent story changes when you put a little filth into the reading. I know - I can find innuendo in anything lol. Whether you're changing words, or just reading it in the wrong context, it has the same effect. People will always read into things if they have an ulterior motive.

Lycan

Preternatural
This thread is about homosexuality in children's media, not a gay gene or homosexuality debate. Let's focus on the subject. Start another thread if you wish to expand that subject. Thanks.

Sorry, Maize (and the rest of the threat posters)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
T'was not just you, Lycan. ;) Is this is an easy subject to get sidetracked on, so no biggie, but let's try to stay on track as much as possible.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I absolutely love the posts so far and am so happy that my original hypothesis is holding true. I completely agree with most everything said by my fine friends here. I think that the things that children are exposed to through life should be started early to help with the understanding later. As long as it is done with taste I see nothing wrong with it. It as not as if they are telling kids to be gay, only that such families exist and are much like heterosexual couples' families. In my opinion it helps to prevent a lot of prejudice as children grow into adults.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think homosexual and heterosexual relationships should be portrayed the same way.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Sunstone said:
I think homosexual and heterosexual relationships should be portrayed the same way.
Which is exactly what this episode in question was trying to do. Portray it as "normal" and "no big thing".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Draka said:
Which is exactly what this episode in question was trying to do. Portray it as "normal" and "no big thing".
Can you believe there are people, like James Dobson, who believe that portraying homosexuality as normal will lead to the downfall of civilization?

morgan

Hey Draka..interesting..I personally havent heard of it but while i have no problems with homosexuality...i think that a lot of kids that are not children of same sex parents will not understand what they are watching..and some may even be 'grossed out' by it. Again this depends on the age of the kids, and their parents. In my home, I teach my kids to be tolerant and respectful for all people regardless of who and what they are, my daughter watches Degrassi which has some pretty heavy topics of its own, but she's 12 and more mature than her 6 year old brother so she will understand the topics more readily. I dont think a 6 year old understands about sexuality even if you explain it....that understanding comes later. Yes I have a problem with this kind of show on tv....i dont think its appropriate but only for certain age groups.

Draka

Wonder Woman
morgan said:
Hey Draka..interesting..I personally havent heard of it but while i have no problems with homosexuality...i think that a lot of kids that are not children of same sex parents will not understand what they are watching..and some may even be 'grossed out' by it. Again this depends on the age of the kids, and their parents. In my home, I teach my kids to be tolerant and respectful for all people regardless of who and what they are, my daughter watches Degrassi which has some pretty heavy topics of its own, but she's 12 and more mature than her 6 year old brother so she will understand the topics more readily. I dont think a 6 year old understands about sexuality even if you explain it....that understanding comes later. Yes I have a problem with this kind of show on tv....i dont think its appropriate but only for certain age groups.
Not trying to persuade your opinion in anyway, but that seems to be why there have been responses here that have to do with the parents monitoring what the children watch. If it something that a parent does not want their child veiwing it makes it the parents responsibility to choose what they see, not the government or the television corporations. Only my opinion though.

morgan

I certainly agree with that. It is the parent's job to monitor what our kids whatch, even if they dont like that we do..lol....but its certainly my opinon that the government shouldnt decide for us whats appropriate for the general public to watch. But then the whole government as a whole dont make much sense to me anyhow..lol

john313

warrior-poet
Maize said:
sorry, go ahead and erase my post. i know you want to.:)