• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy spirit - a female?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
To christians on this forum: Do you believe the holy spirit is a female?

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
I am not a Christian; I am a Hindu. However, I feel the need to add my two-bits, since you are not getting too many responses anyway. My apologies in advance for any offence. I think an explanation of the trinity is in order, since Christians have not understood it very well.

The triune nature of the Godhead are actually three separate persons and not three persons 'in One' as professed by many Christians. The second and third persons, however do proceed from the first as the Catholic belief says, but the roles of the three are not correctly undrstood.

The third person of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit is indeed genderless, pure spirit. But it is the Holy Spirit that creates primordial matter. This is dead matter (deader than a bunch of hydrogen atoms). The Holy Spirit then enters primordial matter and the matter becomes mater - the Mother or the Goddess. So, in time and space, the Holy Spirit becomes and acts like the Mother, a female God Incidentally, the second person of the Trinity provides the souls for the evolving creatures that the Mother gives birth to.

The Second person of the Trinity then later incarnates periodically on Earth as a human being (once approximately every 2160 years) and sustains the planet with his teachings. One such incarnation is Jesus.

The First person is mostly silent and watchful but will act if he sees any need, essentially destroying what is going wrong and starting afresh. His presence is what keeps the Universe alive.

No. I believe Holy Spirit is a spirit, not a physical human being. Bible tells Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth that guides one to truth.

I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counse-lor,{Greek Parakleton: Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, and Comfortor.} that he may be with you forever,-- the Spirit of truth, whom the world can't receive; for it doesn't see him, nei-ther knows him. You know him, for he lives with you, and will be in you.
John 14:16-17
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and will remind you of all that I said to you.
John 14:26
When the Counselor has come, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will testify about me.
John 15:26
When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, don't be anxious how or what you will answer, or what you will say; for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that same hour what you must say."
Luke 12:11-12

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
In Hebrew the Ruach is gendered female grammatically, so folks have added that feminine element.

Shaul

Premium Member
In Hebrew the Ruach is gendered female grammatically, so folks have added that feminine element.
It is correct that in Hebrew the word for spirit, "רוּחַ" is feminine. However in Koine Greek (the language of the Christian New Testament) the word for spirit is "πνεῦμα", which is neuter. Then in Latin (the language of the occidental Catholic church) the word is "spiritus" which is masculine. From this we can see that while in the Hebrew based religions (Judaism) the spirit of the Lord is feminine. Then Christianity first neuters the spirit and then changes its gender to masculine. There are, of course, theological implications.