• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holiday Music

jewscout

Religious Zionist
"Drummer boy"

and of course any of the 3 versions of Adam Sandler's "The Chanukah Song"!:woohoo:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I must be some sort of Grinch. The only Holiday music that I can stand is the "Carol of the Bells" song. The rest grates on my ears, somehow.

I feel bad for admitting this, but there's a huge, animatronic, dancing Santa over at the local Wal-Mart. Its jaw moves with the prerecorded seasonal music. For whatever reason, I actually have to restrain myself from attacking it.

SoulTYPE

FeathersinHair said:
I feel bad for admitting this, but there's a huge, animatronic, dancing Santa over at the local Wal-Mart. Its jaw moves with the prerecorded seasonal music. For whatever reason, I actually have to restrain myself from attacking it.
Not only are you a princess, but I would've done the same thing!

Anyways I prefer not to listen to music come Xmas time. The last time I did listen to XMAS music was YEARS ago, for those Aussies that remember the Comedy Company(Shudder).

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
That thing frightened my daughter so badly she laid in the bottom of the shopping cart and didn't move or say a word the whole time I was shopping. Which is VERY out of character for my daughter, Miss Motor Mouth.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Thank you, Maize and SoulType, for helping me with my strange reaction. I feel less bad about it, now.

The one bright spot that that dancing monstrocity has made in my life was last year, when my mom was in the hospital at Christmas time, and life was seeming very, very bleak. My sister and I were shopping at the same store, going by the same display, but... (how to best put this?) either something had gone horribly wrong with the mechanics of the creature and some sort of bar had dropped to slightly-below waist level, or someone else had put a strategically-placed zucchini in the same area.

Saying it "struck my fancy" is a better phrase than "I nearly wet my pants, laughing" though both would apply here.

Seeing that did make the rest of my season a lot jollier, though.

Pah

Uber all member
FeathersinHair said:
Thank you, Maize and SoulType, for helping me with my strange reaction. I feel less bad about it, now.

The one bright spot that that dancing monstrocity has made in my life was last year, when my mom was in the hospital at Christmas time, and life was seeming very, very bleak. My sister and I were shopping at the same store, going by the same display, but... (how to best put this?) either something had gone horribly wrong with the mechanics of the creature and some sort of bar had dropped to slightly-below waist level, or someone else had put a strategically-placed zucchini in the same area.

Saying it "struck my fancy" is a better phrase than "I nearly wet my pants, laughing" though both would apply here.

Seeing that did make the rest of my season a lot jollier, though.
If it was Nieman-Marcus, perhaps it was an upscale "item" on someone's wish list? - an animated, seasonal zucchini holder

Bob

*trying to decide if I should give myself a warning but it's probably not noticed in my new-found "Feather's-speak"

Pah

Uber all member
I love all the Christmas carols we sang at our curch.

I can't stand anything by the Chipmonks

Bob

Ceridwen018

Harry Connick Jr. makes my knees give out and my heart flutter. ;)

I really don't find any Christmas music to be annoying--I like the Chipmunks and the Hippopotomus song!

Runt

I like the more traditional songs... "Cherry Tree Carol", "Good King Wenseslas" (sp?), "God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen", "Lully Thou Little Tiny Child", etc.

We had a cookie sale thing at my church this past Saturday, and I got the opportunity to sing all of those (except "God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen") at that event. It was fun. :)

Ceridwen018

You guys know that Mariah Carey Christmas Song? "I don't want a lot for Christmas, I won't even wish for snow..." Aahh, I have that stuck in my head. Christmas music is the best!

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
Ceridwen018 said:
You guys know that Mariah Carey Christmas Song? "I don't want a lot for Christmas, I won't even wish for snow..." Aahh, I have that stuck in my head. Christmas music is the best!
That song is one of my favorites. I sang it to my 4 year old because I am happy that she is home for good. My husband surprised me the other day by cranking up the car stereo when it was playing.

I love funny Christmas songs. My newest favorite is by The Little Stinkers "I Farted on Santa's Lap". Basically it's about a little girl who accidently passed gas on Santa's lap and did not expect to get any gifts from him. She was surprised by him because he gave her the most presents of the househole and let a big one rip. (Yeah, I am twisted to find this humorous instead of disgusting, but hey, I am a Yankee Redneck.)

Some days there are songs I just don't feel like hearing. Most times though I love it all.

Melody

I like most of it...even Dr. Demento's CD. What drives me nuts? Singers who use the song to "show off" their voice instead of the song. Mariah Carey comes to mind. And if I see/hear one more Jessica Simpson song...gak.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Songs now struck off my Christmas list:

We Wish You A Merry Christmas
Silent Night
O Come All Ye Faithful
Edelweisss (although I don't consider this a Christmas song, it is now ruined for me when I watch The Sound of Music)
Jingle Bells
Oh Christmas Tree
The First Noel

I have spent the last 3-4 weeks listening to my neighbour attempting to learn them on the recorder. The recorder isn't necessarily a bad instrument, when played well (I always enjoyed listening to lady_laz practice), but this girl has not improved one iota since she started. The sound has been grating on my ears for hours a day, for weeks now, and I fear she has ruined all Christmas carols for me for eternity...the above, in particular. :rolleyes:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Which is one resaon my daughter was banned from learning the clarinet. I endured my sister learning that instrument from hell, and could bear no more. She settled for the baritone instead.

She did want to learn the drums at one point, but I convinced her that her health would not endure if she attempted them.