• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

History question about impeachment.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I have a historical question that I hope someone can answer. I am asking because I really don’t know (and this seems like the laziest way to get an answer)

Has any U.S. President ever been impeached in his first term, and gone on to win a second term in office?

Has any U.S. President ever been impeached in his first term, and gone on to run for a second term and lose?

Has any U.S. President ever been impeached in his first term.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Has any U.S. President ever been impeached in his first term, and gone on to win a second term in office?

No. Andrew Johnson was impeached in his first term in 1868, but did not win a second term.

Johnson was mostly impeached because of the "radical" Republicans in the House. Johnson, though he had been Lincoln's vice-president, was not a Republican, but a Democrat from Tennessee. The Republicans disliked him because, among other things, Johnson favored going easy on the South and not protecting the rights of freed blacks. Technically, they impeached him for dismissing Stanton as Secretary of War -- a pretext. After his impeachment, he was not convicted in the Senate, so not removed from office.

He went on to run for a second term -- but on the Democrat side. However, he was not nominated in the primaries. Yet, he later ran for the Senate from Tennessee and was elected (but not by popular vote -- this was back when senators were elected by state legislatures).

Has any U.S. President ever been impeached in his first term, and gone on to run for a second term and lose?

In a way, Johnson.

Has any U.S. President ever been impeached in his first term.

Johnson. He was Lincoln's vice president, took over after Lincoln's death, and was never elected to the presidency. The only other president to be impeached was Clinton. That was in 1998 -- Clinton's second term.

Nixon was almost certain to be impeached by the House and convicted by the Senate during his second term, but he resigned first.

wellwisher

Nixon spied on the Democrats using campaign aids during Watergate. The Obama administration took this even further and spied on the Trump campaign using government resources at the DOJ and FBI.

Trump needs to be impeached to else this will come to light and not be covered up. The result, if Trump survives, could be devastating for a wide range of Democrats and some Republicans.

There is nothing to impeach Trump on, that is not par for the course in Washington. Legal action will fall short. So the real goal of an impeachment attempt is to cause political damage before 2020, so the coverup can begin.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Nixon spied on the Democrats using campaign aids during Watergate. The Obama administration took this even further and spied on the Trump campaign using government resources at the DOJ and FBI.

Trump needs to be impeached to else this will come to light and not be covered up. The result, if Trump survives, could be devastating for a wide range of Democrats and some Republicans.

There is nothing to impeach Trump on, that is not par for the course in Washington. Legal action will fall short. So the real goal of an impeachment attempt is to cause political damage before 2020, so the coverup can begin.
Illegal campaign finance is alone enough.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I, too, believe the earth is flat and the pyramids were built by space aliens!

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
No. Andrew Johnson was impeached in his first term in 1868, but did not win a second term.

Johnson was mostly impeached because of the "radical" Republicans in the House. Johnson, though he had been Lincoln's vice-president, was not a Republican, but a Democrat from Tennessee. The Republicans disliked him because, among other things, Johnson favored going easy on the South and not protecting the rights of freed blacks. Technically, they impeached him for dismissing Stanton as Secretary of War -- a pretext. After his impeachment, he was not convicted in the Senate, so not removed from office.

He went on to run for a second term -- but on the Democrat side. However, he was not nominated in the primaries. Yet, he later ran for the Senate from Tennessee and was elected (but not by popular vote -- this was back when senators were elected by state legislatures).

In a way, Johnson.

Johnson. He was Lincoln's vice president, took over after Lincoln's death, and was never elected to the presidency. The only other president to be impeached was Clinton. That was in 1998 -- Clinton's second term.

Nixon was almost certain to be impeached by the House and convicted by the Senate during his second term, but he resigned first.
Thank you. I knew I could trick someone into doing my homework for me.;)