• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical Case for the Resurrection of Jesus

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Can you quote anywhere where I said that the natural world doesn’t exists? Or that I lack belive in such world?

Ofcourse you cant……….. so why are you making things up?
Okay, you believe in the natural world. You just do not understand the concept of evidence, which is why you keep getting all of your arguments wrong.
Ohhhh I see, wow, you are brilliant… I finally understood your attitude.

You are trying to refute the claim that people (like the apostles) won’t make something up for no reason or when they have nothing to win and everything to lose with that lie.

No, that is just your strawman. Only the people who cannot reason here, such as you, have made that argument.
In this case

1 you are making something up (that I deny the existence of the natural world)

I am not, but then a simple slap to the face would refute your claim.
2 you don’t win anything by making it up, but you lose a great deal of things, your reputation in this forum, you are exposing yourself as a dishonest person, and likely people won’t treat you seriously.

LOL! You were the one that made things up. So again, you lose by your own "logic". and due, seriously. Do you not see that you are the one that is not being taken seriously. You are presently refuting yourself.
You what to show that sometimes people can make something up, even when they have no reason to do it. (and good reasons to be honest and tell the truth)………. And you succeeded in refuting the claim that the apostles wouldn’t lie about the resurrection.
But again, you made up that argument, not me. It is your argument. You just refuted yourself. At least you can not claim to have refuted someone, just don't tell anyone who you refuted.
Wow brilliant.
Yes, you truly truly were.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Again a 50% possibility is the default position.

50% is within what one would call “realistically possible”
I do not know what this is about.
But the default position for any claim about reality is nearly infinitesimally small probability. Consider the God claim. There are infinitely many types of possible God or Gods and also infinitely many ways a Godless universe can exist. Each of these possible worlds have to be given a very small prior probability before looking at evidence. Hence the claim of a Christian type God is not 50% prior but like 0.00000000000000001% prior probability as one of a trillion trillion possible world.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I've already rebutted that. Faith begins where reason ends. If you can't tell me why I'm wrong, then it's perhaps because you are.

If I see that the evidence points to a certain conclusion, then I might believe that conclusion to be true without it having been proven to be true.

Choosing faith is the opposite of choosing reason. You are misusing the words reason and reasonable. One may opt to hold a comforting belief, which some might call reasonable when one is uncomfortable without it, but the belief itself doesn't derive from valid reason applied to evidence.

Both the reason and the evidence are valid imo.

I answered that already. A god exist and might have access to our reality. If it does, it is detectable and a part of that reality. If you want to say that a particular god exists, can impact reality, yet is causally disconnected from it making it undetectable, then you've taken an incoherent (internally contradictory in this case) position.

I don't say that God is causally disconnected from reality, I just say that science does not know what God's cause is, how God does things.
My God for instance knows the future and all the things that it is going to do. This being the case, this God could begin doing a particular thing a week before the event, and the cause/effect sequences flow on to cause the event. This would certainly make it hard to detect the God who caused the event.

Brian2

Veteran Member
But the default position for any claim about reality is nearly infinitesimally small probability. Consider the God claim. There are infinitely many types of possible God or Gods and also infinitely many ways a Godless universe can exist. Each of these possible worlds have to be given a very small prior probability before looking at evidence. Hence the claim of a Christian type God is not 50% prior but like 0.00000000000000001% prior probability as one of a trillion trillion possible world.

It is probably a good idea to look at reality to work out probability, and not look at speculations about possible worlds.
But I would not like to put any probability rating on things like this anyway, that sounds extremely subjective.
In my own subjective way I might start by looking at the universe we know exists and wonder whether it is more reasonable to say that it had a creator or that is created and made itself, or another one that I consider impossible anyway, that the materials for the universe have always existed in some form in time.
I end up with a creator God as the most reasonable in my own subjective way.
Then I might ask whether the creator is a personal being or impersonal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or I might ask whether the creation shows a God in harmony with itself or a God, or many Gods fighting with each other.
I might wonder if this God would want it's creation to know what is going on in the universe and has told us etc etc.
Of course for me all subjective reason eventually ends up at the Bible God and Jesus, of course. :)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
wikipedia talks about rules of inference, is that what you mean by laws of inference?
Yes. Laws and rules are synonyms in this context.
That is a straw man…………I said, in a hypothetical case where you have 2 alternatives and zero evidence for any of these alternatives…………you most assign a 50% probability to each.

In the example that you mentioned, we have evidence that receive genes are less likely to become part of the phenotype. Given that you have evidence in favor of one alterative, you are justified in moving the wager in favor of such alternative.
I gave you a hypothetical with two alternatives and no evidence which was the case involving recessive phenotypes, like cystic fibrosis. Two carriers conceive. According to you, because we don't know whether the conceptus is affected, it's 50/50. But we know that it's 25/75. That's what a rebuttal looks like - a conclusion that is mutually exclusive with regard to the rebutted claim, that is, they can't both be correct. If I'm right, you're wrong. Amirite?
I think there is a lack of sufficient supporting evidence for naturalism
OK. What should we expect to see if there were only nature and no supernatural realm or denizens? I suggest that all we would see are natural objects passively obeying physical laws and no miracles (violations of those laws). That's what we see as best we can decide. That's the evidence for naturalism - it can account for all observations ever made.

What should we expect to see if there were a supernatural realm affecting nature? Certainly something more, yet there is no more as any creationist will tell you when he advises you not to go looking for gods or evidence of gods.
Most scholars agree that John and Pául are independnet (they didnt copied form each other)

When one testimony is copying form another, there are obvious signs that make this evidently true. These signs are absent when you compare Paul and john.
They preach the same religion. Are you suggesting that they each invented it? Every bit of doctrine they have in common was either written by one and learned by the other or else written by a third party and taught to them. That's not independent
Some of the signs are

1 same (or similar) words in the same context with the same purpose.
Same or similar doctrine (words) satisfies that.
Ignoring the comments that you have made within the last 24 hours (because I haven’t read them)……………have I ignored something relevant? Is there anything that you think I should address?
Yes, but I don't care to go back and catalog the arguments I've made that weren't rebutted or even addressed, nor all of the questions I've asked you that went unanswered. But are you doing better now getting to some of it and expressing an interest in cooperating.

Bear with me for a moment here, please. My wife has a longtime girlfriend with whom she chats daily by email. What I want you to see is how the response derives from what preceded it in a 1:1 correspondence more or less. Here's a bit written to her followed by the start of her reply in italics:

Not bad to just be sore in your biceps. You might be in better shape than you think? With all your walking and cleaning I am sure you are. That’s fantastic that you are learning Spanish while doing Yoga. Mind-Body Perfection. I’ve always wanted to learn Spanish and thought when I retired I would take some classes. That didn’t happen. I know, I still could but lost the bug.​
Great idea about fixing the cracks. I thought about it but didn’t want to ruin the windshield but heck, like you said, “you have to replace anyway.” I’ll get the kit and we can do it before it gets any bigger.​
My soul has been refilled. Got a small little text from Cameron last night. Just saying he was fine and loved me. That was pretty much it but boy does that bring me joy.​
Yes, Breck decided he wanted to really clean the solar panels. He was scrubbing them and that makes me very nervous. Said he read how to do it so? There was over spray from the painter that left residue so he wanted to get it off. Now we just need the solar guy to respond. We have both sent hm messages but he hasn’t called us back. Dang it! Hopefully we can get the solar back on the roof soon. Our mid bill just came out and it says we used $100 thus far. What? That is so crazy. Poor people that don’t have solar.​

And the reply. Please notice how these two pieces parallel one another, the topics mentioned by one addressed by the other. They do this by writing their replies based in the previous email. I've watched my wife write her replies. She goes back to her girlfriend's note repeatedly when writing:

How nice that Cameron texted you. Made your day!

My thighs ache a bit today but not as much as I thought they would. We did a lot of leg work. This instructor does not do the yoga positions, like warrior, downward dog, sphinx, tree, etc. So far it is mostly floor exercises although we used a chair as a prop yesterday. A lot of isometrics and stretching beyond your limit. She likes to use the belts and has ropes on the wall. Very different from what I have been used to. I don't think she advertises but that is good because her place is tiny and would maybe only hold 8 people max. I have conflicts next week, so no yoga, darn it. I told her that too.

I need to watch what she does in order to understand her, but I am picking up some words. She talks a lot and fast, but that is what I need. I have to get the Ear to understand Spanish. She is young and pretty. My previous classes had old instructors, 65 and up, makes a difference, but of course, us students are old and gringos, lol.

Our panels get dirty but we cannot even get on the roof to wash them and if we hosed them off, the water is so hard, it would leave deposits, so we wait for the rain to clean them, which is only in the summer.

We can do the same here. You can do the same. Use the previous post when replying to be certain you addressed all significant claims and answered all non-rhetorical questions.
it seems to me that she/(and you) are saying that given there is no sufficient evidence for the supernatural, one should always prefer naturalistic explanations.
That's close. We should always prefer the simplest explanation that accounts for observation (Occam's parsimony principle). Because we have no evidence that requires a supernatural explanation, we shouldn't add one before we do. In this context, it means that any naturalistic explanation is more parsimonious than any explanation which includes gratuitous supernaturalism.
You (plural) seem to be more interested in creative strategies to avoid the burden proof, than in actually supporting your view. Specifically, why didnt you simply attend to the requests from the OP and provide an alternative hypothesis for the “3 bed rock facts” and explain why that hypothesis is better?.,…. Answers such as “any naturalistic explanation is better because I say so” are not accepted.
I think I did. Several alternate hypotheses, all naturalistic. Regarding the bedrock "facts," 1. and 3. are irrelevant. It doesn't matter what caused Jesus' death, only whether its resurrection occurred, Paul's claims are not evidence of supernaturalism, and 2. is just an unevidenced claim in scripture that I don't believe is a fact at all.
  • 1. Jesus was killed by crucifixion under Pilate
  • 2. Very soon after his death, his disciples reported having experiences which they interpreted as the risen Jesus appearing to them, both individually and in groups
  • 3. The early Church persecutor Paul also had an experience which he interpreted as Jesus appearing to him and this experience convinced him to convert to Christianity
Here is a good chance to practice your new skill of being rigorous and comprehensive in your replies. Can you give me a reply to this piece of my reply in the form, "It does matter how Jesus died because ..., Paul's claims are good evidence of supernaturalism (resurrection) because ..., and the reason the claim of witnesses should be believed is..."

You don't need to accept my claim about naturalistic explanations being preferred. I do and so does the academic community. Try proposing supernaturalism in a science journal or a courtroom to account for anything at all and you will see that it's not just me that says so.

And I don't know what burden of proof you think I have or am avoiding. Were you including me when you wrote "You (plural)"
If I see that the evidence points to a certain conclusion, then I might believe that conclusion to be true without it having been proven to be true.
If your degree of belief is more than is justified by that evidence, then there is an element of faith involved. That's fine for you, but my standard for belief is different.
I don't say that God is causally disconnected from reality, I just say that science does not know what God's cause is, how God does things.
Anybody who says that their deity can't be detected is describing a nonexistent or a causally disconnected entity. Claims that gods are real but can't be detected are nonstarters. Can't be detected means claims about such a thing are unfalsifiable which is to say they are neither correct nor incorrect and they refer to things that would be indistinguishable from nonexistent and thus properly ignored.
this God could begin doing a particular thing a week before the event, and the cause/effect sequences flow on to cause the event. This would certainly make it hard to detect the God who caused the event.
Hard or impossible? Most theists tell me that their god is impossible to detect, not just difficult. Of course, many claim that they have detected it anyway and even have a personal relationship with it.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
ok and my claim is:

if nature is all there is, it needs to be demonstrated before I can believe in that claim. and suddenly, I have no burden proof.

Yes, but none of that shows that nature is all there is.

Yes that is my point,

But “we don’t know” means that you shouldn’t prioritize one alternative over the other. You shouldn’t prioritize “no god” over “god” unless you provide evidence for no god.
If that was your point, why did I have to explain it to you several times and correct your red/blue ball assertions?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Obviously that is wrong. that is fallacious logic. That is my point.
Wait, your point is that you're using logical fallacies?
But it is the same logic that you are using.
No, it certainly is not.
1 you say, there is no evidence for god………therefore no-god is the default position
Sweet fancy Moses that is NOT what I have been saying. *sigh*
2 I say , there is no evidence for naturalism…….. therefore “no-naturalism” is the default position.

I´ll say that both statements are fallacious. (agree?)

if not, how is "2" different form "1"?
The difference is that number 1 is most definitely not what I have been saying to you for I don't know how many pages now.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
When are you going to step up and engage your collocutor? You need to rebut her comment regarding the number of each of the balls in the bag. Instead, you repeated the comment she falsified, and you ignored. How many times does this need to be repeated? Seriously, Leroy - do you have no interest in upping your game? People here can and are willing to help you there, but you need to do better than this for that to happen.

Not analogous. Her words were, " if there is a supernatural realm, it needs to be demonstrated to exist before I can believe in it." The natural and supernatural don't have equal ontological status. One is known to exist, the other a speculation. Either one or both nature and the supernatural exist, but it can't be that neither exist, and if only one exists, it's nature. It's this asymmetry that invalidates your effort to imitate her.

That's not close to what she said. Perhaps it's time to give up paraphrasing others. Try again. See if you can rewrite what she wrote using your own words but without changing her meaning.

This seems to be one of the commoner cognitive deficits seen on these pages - a significant loss of fidelity between reading, conceptualizing, and then paraphrasing.

Would you like to practice? Begin with the sentence above: "This seems ..."

"It's my impression that it is very common for RF posters to unwittingly transform thoughts when using their own words. "

How did you do? Did you even try? If not, why not? And how about answering these italicized questions? What does it take to engage you in mutually agreeable terms or at a minimum for you to acknowledge my effort to do that? How about: Be a mensch Leroy and do a favor for an acquaintance with your best interests at heart just to see how it turns out or explain why that's not a good idea for you. Please. Pretty please. Pretty please with a cherry on top.

From the pen of the poet:

Come on baby, baby please
Come on baby, cause I'm on my knees
Turn on your lights let it shine on me turn on your love light
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine
Once again, you've said it much better than I have. Thank you. :)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I will let her reply by herself,( unless she claims that your post represents her view and that she has nothing to add nor to modify)

But as for your request it seems to me that she/(and you) are saying that given there is no sufficient evidence for the supernatural, one should always prefer naturalistic explanations.

But I am open to be corrected, if this is a misrepresentation of what she (or you) is claiming, feel free to correct me, with clear and direct words.

That is easy, it takes clear and direct answers.

You can start with my previous comment……………. Does that represent your view? Is that what you are saying? If not, could you correct me in a clear and unambiguous way, so that I can understand your view?

You (plural) seem to be more interested in creative strategies to avoid the burden proof, than in actually supporting your view.

Specifically, why didnt you simply attend to the requests from the OP and provide an alternative hypothesis for the “3 bed rock facts” and explain why that hypothesis is better?.,…. Answers such as “any naturalistic explanation is better because I say so” are not accepted.
My advice: Stop trying to paraphrase people (because you aren't good at it) and instead just engage with what they're actually saying. The conversation will be a lot easier for everyone that way.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Thank you! Maybe that will get through (fingers crossed).

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It is probably a good idea to look at reality to work out probability, and not look at speculations about possible worlds.
But I would not like to put any probability rating on things like this anyway, that sounds extremely subjective.
In my own subjective way I might start by looking at the universe we know exists and wonder whether it is more reasonable to say that it had a creator or that is created and made itself, or another one that I consider impossible anyway, that the materials for the universe have always existed in some form in time.
I end up with a creator God as the most reasonable in my own subjective way.
Then I might ask whether the creator is a personal being or impersonal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or I might ask whether the creation shows a God in harmony with itself or a God, or many Gods fighting with each other.
I might wonder if this God would want it's creation to know what is going on in the universe and has told us etc etc.
Of course for me all subjective reason eventually ends up at the Bible God and Jesus, of course. :)
So you think it's impossible for the universe to have always existed in some form, but totally possible (and very likely) for a god to have always existed in some form? Can you explain how that makes sense?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Once again, you've said it much better than I have. Thank you.
Thank you for the kind words, but your writing is clear and concise.
My advice: Stop trying to paraphrase people (because you aren't good at it) and instead just engage with what they're actually saying. The conversation will be a lot easier for everyone that way.
This is an extremely common problem here that I've engaged a few different posters over recently. Several convert "I have no god belief" to "I say that gods don't exist."

You may recall a recent thread where I commented that when somebody tells me that they experience god, I assume that they are mistaking an endogenous spiritual experience for an apprehension, and was told, "It's a simple proven fact that you cannot know what's happening with everyone everywhere." This led to a lengthy discussion about the loss of fidelity (reading incomprehension) so common in people and how ideas morph into other ideas between the reading and retelling of them.

And Leroy and I just went through this here in this thread.

I'm anxious to see if Leroy accepts my challenge and offer to help in that linked post.
So you think it's impossible for the universe to have always existed in some form, but totally possible (and very likely) for a god to have always existed in some form? Can you explain how that makes sense?
Rhetorical questions, right? The answer is always that the rules don't apply to God, and if asked why not, we're told that it's because God isn't material or because god is outside of space and time as if that were possible and that if it were, it means that the rules don't apply.

I saw this earlier today:

1690902895290.png

LOL. I know that you're a Seinfeld fan:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Left Coast said: #8
Because people don't come back alive after being dead for days, as a rule. It's a one way trip. Any claim of some miracle explanation for a phenomenon that violates everything we know about how the world works is going to have automatically very low plausibility.
Apologes said: #10
We know that people don't rise from the dead on their own, true, but here we are talking about God raising someone from the dead. This isn't going against how the world works as its not the laws of nature that are raising the dead but an act of God. On what basis would you assign a low plausibility to God choosing to raise Jesus from the dead a priori?
paarsurrey said: #421
Jesus/Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah rising from the physical dead is against Sign of Jonah, I (therefore) must say (Jesus did not resurrect at all), as I understand?
Right?

paarsurrey said: #430
Jonah did not die in the belly of the fish so Jesus/Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah could not and did not die on the Cross or in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea, please, right?

paarsurrey said: #449
Jesus/Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah pegged the Sign of Jonah to be shown to the Jews and the Jews knew as per Book of Jonah that (1) Jonah entered the belly of fish alive, (2)remained alive in the belly of the fish and (3)came out alive from the belly of the fish, so if the Sign was for the Jews then Yeshua had to remain alive and he did remain alive (1) on the Cross, (2) in the tomb where he was laid and (3) afterwards as he was seen by many, please, right?

paarsurrey adds:#476
Since Jonah was a truthful prophet of G-d so applying the same criteria Jesus/Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah was also a truthful prophet, please, right?

Regards
Jesus did not resurrect
The Jews of the time failed to kill Jesus (which they must have done to a false prophet in terms of Deuteronomy) this also shows that Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah was a truthful person/prophet, right?

Regards

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Thank you for the kind words, but your writing is clear and concise.
Thank you for thinking so. Yours are more entertaining and thought-provoking though. :) (You know I love the Seinfeld references :D)
This is an extremely common problem here that I've engaged a few different posters over recently. Several convert "I have no god belief" to "I say that gods don't exist."
This one right here is the main point that I cannot get through to certain people. I really wish we could at least establish this most basic of logical concepts.
You may recall a recent thread where I commented that when somebody tells me that they experience god, I assume that they are mistaking an endogenous spiritual experience for an apprehension, and was told, "It's a simple proven fact that you cannot know what's happening with everyone everywhere." This led to a lengthy discussion about the loss of fidelity (reading incomprehension) so common in people and how ideas morph into other ideas between the reading and retelling of them.
Oh, I remember my frustration in reading it lol
And Leroy and I just went through this here in this thread.
I feel like I've repeated it way too many times now, and yet, I still haven't got the point across.
I'm anxious to see if Leroy accepts my challenge and offer to help in that linked post.

Rhetorical questions, right? The answer is always that the rules don't apply to God, and if asked why not, we're told that it's because God isn't material or because god is outside of space and time as if that were possible and that if it were, it means that the rules don't apply.

I saw this earlier today:

View attachment 80246
LOL Exactly. You know what I was doing there.

LOL. I know that you're a Seinfeld fan:

LOL That's exactly what I was thinking about. Thank you. Keep 'em coming! :D

leroy

I noticed that you made no comment on the arguments I presented in favor of the historicity of the appearances….. ¿did you find my response good enough?

Isen´t it ironic that you are accusing me for ignoring your posts, when you are being guilty of the same crime? But I´ll give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps you are planning to resply in the future.
Already answered.

That was the answer - a huge parsimony violation that requires that unseen realities exist.

Disagree. All other logical possibilities except alien abduction have been observed. Fraud and error top the list.
Disagree, I've told you why before (which you ignored), and I have no idea why you think otherwise than wishful thinking. You rarely if ever include arguments with your claims. Not with the last three. And you don't address my refutations. Why is that? Just kidding. Already asked and ignored multiple times.
Ok these 3 comments above are more less related to the same topic.

I missed your response on parsimony, why do you think that it is the only (or the most important) criteria? Do you honestly believe that a falsified hypothesis (that is parsimonios) is better than a non falsified hypothesis –(that is less parsimonious)? ……. This is an honest question, I find it absurd for someone to deny my claim

“parsimony is not the only, nor the most important criteria”

In my opinion this claim is trivially true and requires no support, but let me know if you disagree. (yes I know that you have disagreed in the past, but I need double confirmation, because it is very absurd and hard to accept that someone would disagree with that.

But despite my disagreement on your view on O.R. the resurrection is far more parsimonious than competing hypothesis…….. a resurection (just one variable) explains the 10 appearances reported in the various books of the in the new testament, it explains the empty tomb, it explains the conversion of Paul, and the conversion of James, it explains why the disciples where willing to die, it explains the flourishment of early Christianity etc.

I challenge you to provide a hypothesis that is more parsimonious than that.

Take for example (error) which is in the top of your list of hypothesis. Since I have no idea on what you mean by error, I will try to guess.

I will assume that this is your hypothesis, (if this is a straw man, then please develop eand explain exactly what you mean by error)

“The disciples saw a guy that looked like Jesus, and erroneously thought he was the real Jesus.”

Like the resurrection This involves something that has never been seen , James the brother of Jesus and the close disciples would have known that this guy was not really Jesus…….. it has never been reported that somebody claims “resurrection” because they saw someone that looks like his dead brother. So like the resurrection your hypothesis deals with an extraordinary event that has never been reported nor observed to have happeed.

And this is also a huge violation to parsimony, you have to

1 assume without evidence that James and the apostoles where too stupid that didn’t noticed that he was not Jesus

2 you have to assume that there was a crazy man that looked like Jesus, that wanted to play a joke to the disciples (despite the fact that it would be super dangerous and an obvious target for romans and Jews)

3 you have to invent an alterative explanation for the emty tomb

4 you have to invent an alternative explanation for why the early church flourished

Obviously you are invoking more variables than me when I propose the resurrection, so you hypothesis is less parsimonious............... you need to invoke 4 variables I only have to invoke one variable............ so in terms of OR the resurection wins

Disagree. All other logical possibilities except alien abduction have been observed. Fraud and error top the list.
Nope, the type of error invoked in the hypohtesis above has never been observed. Nobody in recorded history has concluded that his brother resurrected, because he saw a guy that looks like him

Sure, but there is no reason to take unfalsifiable proposals seriously. All one can say is that we cannot rule them out, so they belong on candidate hypotheses lists, but at the bottom. Occam again.
As I said before, the argument in the OP is falsifiable, so nobody is invoking an unfalsifiable hypothesis. … your accusations are unjustified.

The resurrection hypothesis is falsifiable. There are plenty of potential discoveries that would falsify the hypothesis. for example finding the tomb of Jeus, or 1st century documents expalining that Jesus survived in the cross would falsify the resurection

But even more important, your burden is not to falsify the resurrection, all you have to do (according to the OP) is to provide a better explanation for the bed rock facts

---
Already answered, and the same answer.

You haven’t shown naturalism to be true, the fact that “nature” has been observed shows that “nature” is part of reality, but it doesn’t prove to be “all reality”

Nobody has ever observed life coming from none life, does that show that abiogenist never happened? (by your logic yes)

So in summery

1 you haven’t shown that O.R. is the only criteria that matters (as you seem to be affirming)

2 you havent provided an example of a hypothesis that is more parsimonious that the resurrection

3 you are falsely accusing the resurrection hypotheiss for being “unfalsifiable”

4 you haven provided a hypothesis that doesn’t invoke extraordinary things that have never been observed.

5 you ignored my comments on the appearances

6 you havent provided suficient (conclusive) evidence for naturalism

I have been asking you for weeks to pick an naturalistic hypothesis and to explain why is that better than the resurrection, why are you ignoring my request? Dozens of hypothesis have been published in the literature and are supported by some scholars, so why don’t you simply quote one of this hypothesis? (or develop one hypothesis of your own)

leroy

Yes. Laws and rules are synonyms in this context.
Ok which laws of inference show that you shouldn’t believe in God?

I gave you a hypothetical with two alternatives and no evidence which was the case involving recessive phenotypes, like cystic fibrosis. Two carriers conceive. According to you, because we don't know whether the conceptus is affected, it's 50/50. But we know that it's 25/75. That's what a rebuttal looks like - a conclusion that is mutually exclusive with regard to the rebutted claim, that is, they can't both be correct. If I'm right, you're wrong. Amirite?
In this case you do have evidence; we have “Mendel laws” that show that one result is more probable than the other.

OK. What should we expect to see if there were only nature and no supernatural realm or denizens? I suggest that all we would see are natural objects passively obeying physical laws and no miracles (violations of those laws). That's what we see as best we can decide. That's the evidence for naturalism - it can account for all observations ever made.
Yes but that is not sufficient evidence for naturalism……
What should we expect to see if there were a supernatural realm affecting nature? Certainly something more, yet there is no more as any creationist will tell you when he advises you not to go looking for gods or evidence of gods.
We would expect observations and events that can´t be explained by the laws of nature

They preach the same religion. Are you suggesting that they each invented it? Every bit of doctrine they have in common was either written by one and learned by the other or else written by a third party and taught to them. That's not independent
My point is that the author of John didn’t concluded that there was a resurrection because he read Paul…………. Do you reject this?

Bear with me for a moment here, please. My wife has a longtime girlfriend with whom she chats daily by email. What I want you to see is how the response derives from what preceded it in a 1:1 correspondence more or less. Here's a bit written to her followed by the start of her reply in italics:
Ok that is strange, but perhaps I am mistranslating the word “girldfried”

Not bad to just be sore in your biceps. You might be in better shape than you think? With all your walking and cleaning I am sure you are. That’s fantastic that you are learning Spanish while doing Yoga. Mind-Body Perfection. I’ve always wanted to learn Spanish and thought when I retired I would take some classes. That didn’t happen. I know, I still could but lost the bug.​
Great idea about fixing the cracks. I thought about it but didn’t want to ruin the windshield but heck, like you said, “you have to replace anyway.” I’ll get the kit and we can do it before it gets any bigger.​
My soul has been refilled. Got a small little text from Cameron last night. Just saying he was fine and loved me. That was pretty much it but boy does that bring me joy.​
Yes, Breck decided he wanted to really clean the solar panels. He was scrubbing them and that makes me very nervous. Said he read how to do it so? There was over spray from the painter that left residue so he wanted to get it off. Now we just need the solar guy to respond. We have both sent hm messages but he hasn’t called us back. Dang it! Hopefully we can get the solar back on the roof soon. Our mid bill just came out and it says we used $100 thus far. What? That is so crazy. Poor people that don’t have solar.​

And the reply. Please notice how these two pieces parallel one another, the topics mentioned by one addressed by the other. They do this by writing their replies based in the previous email. I've watched my wife write her replies. She goes back to her girlfriend's note repeatedly when writing:

How nice that Cameron texted you. Made your day!

My thighs ache a bit today but not as much as I thought they would. We did a lot of leg work. This instructor does not do the yoga positions, like warrior, downward dog, sphinx, tree, etc. So far it is mostly floor exercises although we used a chair as a prop yesterday. A lot of isometrics and stretching beyond your limit. She likes to use the belts and has ropes on the wall. Very different from what I have been used to. I don't think she advertises but that is good because her place is tiny and would maybe only hold 8 people max. I have conflicts next week, so no yoga, darn it. I told her that too.

I need to watch what she does in order to understand her, but I am picking up some words. She talks a lot and fast, but that is what I need. I have to get the Ear to understand Spanish. She is young and pretty. My previous classes had old instructors, 65 and up, makes a difference, but of course, us students are old and gringos, lol.

Our panels get dirty but we cannot even get on the roof to wash them and if we hosed them off, the water is so hard, it would leave deposits, so we wait for the rain to clean them, which is only in the summer.

We can do the same here. You can do the same. Use the previous post when replying to be certain you addressed all significant claims and answered all non-rhetorical questions.
I dont see the relevance

That's close. We should always prefer the simplest explanation that accounts for observation (Occam's parsimony principle).
No, O.R. is only one of many criteria. What about explanatory power, or explanatory scope, or predictive power?

If everything is equal then sure, one should go for the simplest explanation

Because we have no evidence that requires a supernatural explanation, we shouldn't add one before we do. In this context, it means that any naturalistic explanation is more parsimonious than any explanation which includes gratuitous supernaturalism.
No, to invoke an unevidence “natural mechanism” is as antiparsimonous than to invoke an unevidnece supernatural mechanism

Two unevidenced natural mechanism are less parsimonious than one supernatural mechanism.

For example claiming group hallucinations is as unparsimonious as the resurection because there is no prior evidence for any of them

Claiming hallucinations + someone stole the body (two variables) is less parsimonious than the resurrection alone.

Two unevidenced variables are worst than one, it doesn’t matter if they are supernatural or not.

I think I did. Several alternate hypotheses,

You are just sayin “error” or “fraud” but you haven’t developed any hypohteiss and you haven’t shown that it is more parsimonious than the resurection

all naturalistic. Regarding the bedrock "facts," 1. and 3. are irrelevant. It doesn't matter what caused Jesus' death, only whether its resurrection occurred, Paul's claims are not evidence of supernaturalism, and 2. is just an unevidenced claim in scripture that I don't believe is a fact at all.
  • 1. Jesus was killed by crucifixion under Pilate
  • 2. Very soon after his death, his disciples reported having experiences which they interpreted as the risen Jesus appearing to them, both individually and in groups
  • 3. The early Church persecutor Paul also had an experience which he interpreted as Jesus appearing to him and this experience convinced him to convert to Christianity
Here is a good chance to practice your new skill of being rigorous and comprehensive in your replies. Can you give me a reply to this piece of my reply in the form, "It does matter how Jesus died because ..., Paul's claims are good evidence of supernaturalism (resurrection) because ..., and the reason the claim of witnesses should be believed is..."
The death by crucifixion is relevant, because this shows that Jesus had a clear and a public death, this shows that Jesus was obviously dead, refuting claims such as “jesus never died in the first place”

The appearances are relevant, because they show that the “disciples saw something” that they interpreted as having seen the risen Jesus. It shows that they actually saw something , or atleast claimed to have seen something. This refutes claims such as the resurrection is based on a legend or rumors

The conversion of Paul, is relevant, because it shows that he didn’t made it up, he honestly and sincerely thought that his experience was real and the other appearances that he reports where also real this refutes claims such as “they where just lying”

And I don't know what burden of proof you think I have or am avoiding. Were you including me when you wrote "You (plural)"
My impression is that You are not willing to provide a naturalistic hypothesis for the bed rock facts (a well developed hypohteiss) because you know that then you would have to show that such an explanation is better and more likely to be true. You don’t want such a burden (that is the impression that I have from you)

If your degree of belief is more than is justified by that evidence, then there is an element of faith involved. That's fine for you, but my standard for belief is different.
no, the evidnece only shows that natrue is part of the world, not that nature is all there is

Can't be detected means claims about such a thing are unfalsifiable which is to say they are neither correct nor incorrect and they refer to things that would be indistinguishable from nonexistent and thus properly ignored.
Again, the resurrection is falsifiable

leroy

Wait, your point is that you're using logical fallacies?

No, it certainly is not.

The difference is that number 1 is most definitely not what I have been saying to you for I don't know how many pages now.
well then what is what you really said?
if not this

leroy said:
1 you say, there is no evidence for god………therefore no-god is the default position

would you correct my statement?

leroy

Because according to the laws of nature something with the properties of the universe can not be eternal. (mater energy time etc.)

God presumably doesn’t have these properties