• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism - What Are the Core Tenets?

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
@SalixIncendium Here's the 9 basic beliefs summary that my sampradaya came up with many years ago, after a lot of research, and years of writing articles on the many different sects. Note that in the introduction it says 'most' not 'all'. There is no compulsion in Hinduism to believe anything really.

Basics of Hinduism

1. Hindus believe in a one, all-pervasive Supreme Being who is both immanent and transcendent, both Creator and Unmanifest Reality.
  2. Hindus believe in the divinity of the four Vedas, the world's most ancient scripture, and venerate the Agamas as equally revealed. These primordial hymns are God's word and the bedrock of Sanatana Dharma, the eternal religion.
  3. Hindus believe that the universe undergoes endless cycles of creation, preservation and dissolution.
  4. Hindus believe in karma, the law of cause and effect by which each individual creates his own destiny by his thoughts, words and deeds.
  5. Hindus believe that the soul reincarnates, evolving through many births until all karmas have been resolved, and moksha, liberation from the cycle of rebirth, is attained. Not a single soul will be deprived of this destiny.
  6. Hindus believe that divine beings exist in unseen worlds and that temple worship, rituals, sacraments and personal devotionals create a communion with these devas and Gods.
  7. Hindus believe that an enlightened master, or satguru, is essential to know the Transcendent Absolute, as are personal discipline, good conduct, purification, pilgrimage, self-inquiry, meditation and surrender in God.
  8. Hindus believe that all life is sacred, to be loved and revered, and therefore practise ahimsa, noninjury, in thought, word and deed.
  9. Hindus believe that no religion teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all genuine paths are facets of God's Light, deserving tolerance and understanding.

Except for points 2, 6 and part of 7, that would make me somewhat of a Hindu in the eyes of this author.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Except for points 2, 6 and part of 7, that would make me somewhat of a Hindu in the eyes of this author.
Not an author, but authors. It said 'most'. I've personally never really meditated on that list much. It was written up in part to counter the western idea that Hinduism is just some scatterbrained mishmash of beliefs with no common beliefs at all. In the process, the authors also wrote 9 beliefs for each of the major religions, based on research. There was also a point-counterpoint done collaboratively between Christianity Today and Hinduism Today, which was published in both magazines. Editorial staff on both sides had input.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Indeed and that is so vague that anything could be considered as Hindu, even Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Jainism and all the rest.
I'd take exception to this for the Abrahamic religions. I know there are a few "mystical" variants -- neuropathology is no observer of culture, and the mystical experience is eminently influential -- but East is East and West is West. The twain don't meet. They're entirely different concepts, with entirely different goals, methods and Weltanschauung.

The (tiny) Tantric core of Christianity may have originated in India and so may the Tantric core of Islam and perhaps even Judais.
You're going to have to expand on this attribution. Tantric is usually the last thing people usually attribute to Christianity, Judaism or Islam.

I would say that India has been the world's powerhouse of Tantric spirituality in giving birth to Buddhism, Jainism, Sikkhism, Christianity, Islam and exporting Yoga and spiritual guru's and their missions.
I see India more as the birthplace of the mystical religions.

There are no religions, there are only people on their spiritual paths practising more Tantric or more Vedic types of worship. Spirituality is a practical intuitive or introspective science, artificial religious boundaries are something of the past.
This forum should be renamed.
Worship? Why worship?
Worship may focus the attention and help to shut down the mind, but it's hardly the only Yoga. I don't see worship of an anthropomorphic entity as necessary for the Hindu religions to achieve their goal.

Marcion

I'd take exception to this for the Abrahamic religions. I know there are a few "mystical" variants -- neuropathology is no observer of culture, and the mystical experience is eminently influential -- but East is East and West is West. The twain don't meet. They're entirely different concepts, with entirely different goals, methods and Weltanschauung.
On a superficial level that may seem to be the case. But everyone has a relationship with God (within), and the moral ideals between all those paths are also quite similar. So I don't agree with you that they don't meet.

You're going to have to expand on this attribution. Tantric is usually the last thing people usually attribute to Christianity, Judaism or Islam.
In contrast with begging God for favours and performing religious rituals, Tantra is the inward struggle to control the mind and keep it directed towards God or away from the limitations of self. Every path that has a strong mystical element (Sufism in Islam, Kabbalah in Judaism and the teachings of Yeshua and the author of the original Pauline letters in Christianity) could well be seen as tantric.

I see India more as the birthplace of the mystical religions.
There is little difference between mysticism and Tantra.
Worship? Why worship?
Worship may focus the attention and help to shut down the mind, but it's hardly the only Yoga. I don't see worship of an anthropomorphic entity as necessary for the Hindu religions to achieve their goal.
Perhaps I used a wrong word (English is not my native tongue). Vedic practices are things like prayers or rituals in churches or temples, tantric practices are things like meditation, yoga exercises, serving God through helping the suffering part of His creation, fasting etc. I thought you could consider all those things like a worship but perhaps I chose the wrong English word.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
On a superficial level that may seem to be the case. But everyone has a relationship with God (within), and the moral ideals between all those paths are also quite similar. So I don't agree with you that they don't meet.
The mechanisms of morality differ significantly, though; A judgemental personage vs a mechanical karma.
In contrast with begging God for favours and performing religious rituals, Tantra is the inward struggle to control the mind and keep it directed towards God or away from the limitations of self. Every path that has a strong mystical element (Sufism in Islam, Kabbalah in Judaism and the teachings of Yeshua and the author of the original Pauline letters in Christianity) could well be seen as tantric.

There is little difference between mysticism and Tantra.
Clearly you're better versed in this than I. I'd never considered Tantra in terms of mysticism.
Perhaps I used a wrong word (English is not my native tongue). Vedic practices are things like prayers or rituals in churches or temples, tantric practices are things like meditation, yoga exercises, serving God through helping the suffering part of His creation, fasting etc. I thought you could consider all those things like a worship but perhaps I chose the wrong English word.
Interesting. I would have combined these into variations of Yoga.

Marcion

The mechanisms of morality differ significantly, though; A judgemental personage vs a mechanical karma.
Clearly you're better versed in this than I. I'd never considered Tantra in terms of mysticism.
Interesting. I would have combined these into variations of Yoga.

The perception or understanding of how karma works can be better or worse in different paths but that does not change how it works in reality for everything and everyone in the universe.

I use a very broad understanding of what Tantra and what Mysticism is. Tantra is anything (any behaviour or practice) that expands the consciousness of a person or anything that diminishes (spiritual) ignorance or darkness. Mysticism is any practice that bridges the gap between the finite and the infinite.

Vedic practices have no connection to Yoga. Perhaps you can call them worship after all as they will normally be connected to honouring or serving some type of God.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Vedic practices have no connection to Yoga.

This statement makes no sense to me.

This article outlines the five basic types that I recognize.

1) Jnana Yoga, the Yoga of Knowledge, using meditation for Self-realization
2) Bhakti Yoga, the Yoga of Devotion, seeking union with God as the Divine Father or Divine Mother
3) Karma Yoga, the Yoga of Service, emphasizing ritual worship of the Divine and service to living beings
4) Raja Yoga, the Royal Yoga of higher techniques and methods, mainly of mantra and meditation.
5) Hatha Yoga, the Yoga of Effort or of lower techniques and methods, mainly asana and pranayama.

The Vedic Yoga and Yoga as a Whole

It goes on to explain the Yogas' association with the Vedas.

Mlecch

What are the core philosophies, tenets, or beliefs that are common among all Hindus?
Today there are only two main directions of Hinduism Vaishnavism and Shaivism. Of traditional Vaishnavism, the main sects are Shri Vaishnava and Ramanandi. Of traditional Shaivism, the main sects are Shaiva Siddhanta and Vira Shaiva. Everything else in traditional Hinduism is too small and insignificant.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Today there are only two main directions of Hinduism Vaishnavism and Shaivism. Of traditional Vaishnavism, the main sects are Shri Vaishnava and Ramanandi. Of traditional Shaivism, the main sects are Shaiva Siddhanta and Vira Shaiva. Everything else in traditional Hinduism is too small and insignificant.
This does not, at all, address the question in the OP, which asks about philosophies, tenets, and beliefs all Hindus adhere to, not sects or what you believe to be small and insignificant.

Mlecch

This does not, at all, address the question in the OP, which asks about philosophies, tenets, and beliefs all Hindus adhere to, not sects or what you believe to be small and insignificant.
In these two Vaishnava sects the philosophy is of the Vedanta variety. And in these two Shaivite sects the philosophy is of the Agamanta variety.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In these two Vaishnava sects the philosophy is of the Vedanta variety. And in these two Shaivite sects the philosophy is of the Agamanta variety.
Are you suggesting that these two/four share nothing in common with regard to philosophy, belief, or tenets?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You can’t talk about everyone, you need to talk about the majority. Because Hinduism still has some fringe sects that practice extreme things.
So, in your belief, Hinduism is exclusionary, only weighing importance to what the majority believe or practice?

I'll also note here that you have yet to answer any of my questions directly. You've answered around every question I've asked you.

Mlecch

So, in your belief, Hinduism is exclusionary, only weighing importance to what the majority believe or practice?

I'll also note here that you have yet to answer any of my questions directly. You've answered around every question I've asked you.
You ask incorrect questions, so you receive appropriate clarifying answers.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Should I stop replying to your messages?
If you are not going stay on topic and answer questions instead of answering around them and ultimately stating the questions are incorrect, then what the point in continuing?