• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism resources.

Lorgar-Aurelian

So recently I've been reading through norse and greek mythology and decided to switch it up a bit and look for some more information on Hinduism. I'm not uneducated when it comes to Hinduism (or quite a few religions really) but it never hurts to refresh and come at things with a different perspective.

So any resources would be great, any recommendations for holy books I should check out would also be great.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hinduism isn't a book religion. like other great religions are. It's more experiential, so I
d recommend just going to a Hindu temple to get the feel of it.

Having said that, there are several introductory books like 'What is Hinduism?" by Himalayan Academy. Our scriptures are so vast in number its hard to know where to start, but I'd recommend the Upanishads.

Sudy Rao

IAmFromEarth
Upanishads is where you would need to start and then to Vedas. There are 100+ after that but Shiva Puranam, Vishnu Puranam are next I would say.

Hinduism does not make a Hindu by a typical conversion process like any other reliogions (example: Baptism etc.,) but through a propogated consciousness that you are GOD yourself from what you are: NATURE / UNIVERSE

Last edited:

VioletVortex

I'm not a Hindu, but Vinayaka said it well. Hindu, along with most other forms of Paganism, is mostly an individual path, with information based on what is gathered through experience as opposed to that of others.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So recently I've been reading through norse and greek mythology and decided to switch it up a bit and look for some more information on Hinduism. I'm not uneducated when it comes to Hinduism (or quite a few religions really) but it never hurts to refresh and come at things with a different perspective.

So any resources would be great, any recommendations for holy books I should check out would also be great.
If you are completely new, translations by eknath eswaran would be a good place to start.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If I am not wrong you want to see where Norse/Germanic and other European thought are similar to Hindu thoughts - Comparative religions and mythologies, probably arising from Indo-European background. If that is what you want, Wikipedia is a nice source. Another Good book is 'Arctic Home in Vedas' by BG Tilak, which is available at archives.org. The Arctic Home in the Vedas - Wikipedia

Lorgar-Aurelian

If I am not wrong you want to see where Norse/Germanic and other European thought are similar to Hindu thoughts - Comparative religions and mythologies, probably arising from Indo-European background. If that is what you want, Wikipedia is a nice source. Another Good book is 'Arctic Home in Vedas' by BG Tilak, which is available at archives.org. The Arctic Home in the Vedas - Wikipedia
No I just wanted sources on Hinduism in general more than for comparative religion purposes.

Lorgar-Aurelian

I'm not a Hindu, but Vinayaka said it well. Hindu, along with most other forms of Paganism, is mostly an individual path, with information based on what is gathered through experience as opposed to that of others.
Hinduism isn't a book religion. like other great religions are. It's more experiential, so I
d recommend just going to a Hindu temple to get the feel of it.

Having said that, there are several introductory books like 'What is Hinduism?" by Himalayan Academy. Our scriptures are so vast in number its hard to know where to start, but I'd recommend the Upanishads.

I understand the whole "not a book religion thing." I was more looking for something delving into various hindu schools of thought, introduction to the gods ect. I've already read a good deal on shiva as well as the bagavad gita, the Ramayana and a few others. So something more on the academic side of things is what I was looking for.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No I just wanted sources on Hinduism in general more than for comparative religion purposes.
If you go search on Amazon, there are lots of 'scholarly' books, mostly with a western anti-Hindu stance, as Hindus themselves are less likely to write such in depth 'scholarly' stuff.

arthra

Baha'i
Lorgar...

One book I'd recommend to you is "The Vedic Experience Mantramanjari: An Anthology of the Vedas for Modern Man and Contemporary Celebration. by Raimundo Pannikar University of California Press Berkeley, CA 94720

A new edition is now published by Motilal Banarsidass; New edition edition (February 8, 2016)

You can find it on Amazon:

The Vedic Experience Mantramanjari: Anthology of the Vedas for Modern Man and Contemporary Celebration: Raimundo Panikkar: 9788120812802: Amazon.com: Books

Another valuable book in my opinion is the Puranic Encyclopaedia A Comprehensive Work with Special Reference to the Epic and Puranic Literature by Vettam Mani also published by Motilal Banarsidass.

Available at

Puranic Encyclopaedia: A Comprehensive work with special Reference to the epic and Puranic literature

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand the whole "not a book religion thing." I was more looking for something delving into various hindu schools of thought, introduction to the gods ect. I've already read a good deal on shiva as well as the bagavad gita, the Ramayana and a few others. So something more on the academic side of things is what I was looking for.
Works of vivekanada and aurobindo might be something to consider.? They are both available on the Internet.

In terms of scholarly work Diana El Eck's Sacred Geography might be worth a look.

Stormcry

My vote still is for Wikipedia and if you have questions then ask the Hindu members here.
Wikipedia articles proposing indologist's views are not holy resources, neither your "Arctic home in the Vedas" book. It'd be better if you stop propagating that book as a holy book in every thread and mislead non-hindus.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do I have the right to hold my views (I mentioned that clearly in my post - "My vote")? You differ with it, you are welcome.
BG Tilak's books ("Arctic Home in Vedas" and "Orion") IMHO, are very well-researched books.