• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu extremists protest 114 foot tall Jesus statue

Should this statue go up or not?

• Yes, it should go up

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No, it should not go up

Votes: 20 80.0%

• Total voters

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
It involves a long term strategy I think. The western press is decidedly anti-Hindu, and the long term goal would be to have India being equivalent to Pakistan or Iran in the minds of the west. Different religion, same label. (terrorists, fundamentalists, extremists) So provoke, watch the Hindu reaction, then call in the press to come in and 'report' on what a nasty business these crazy Hindus are.

That is fascinating. Its not something I am familiar myself. Here in South Africa we are cool with Hindus (i think Durban might have the biggest concentration of Hindus and Indians outside of India. Not sure). And we love their food.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is fascinating. Its not something I am familiar myself. Here in South Africa we are cool with Hindus (i think Durban might have the biggest concentration of Hindus and Indians outside of India. Not sure). And we love their food.
I have quite a few South African friends (Hindus) here in Canada. Nice people, except for when they host you. you're likely to get overfed. (As a good thing.)

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I have quite a few South African friends (Hindus) here in Canada. Nice people, except for when they host you. you're likely to get overfed. (As a good thing.)

Haha! South Africans live their food. The way the SA Hindus you know overfeed people is the general principle that we stand by in South Africa.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Haha! South Africans live their food. The way the SA Hindus you know overfeed people is the general principle that we stand by in South Africa.
I'm better at being firm now, but the first time I ate at a South African home, and didn't expect it, I ate enough (more like force fed) for a week. Mauritius is similar.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is because they basically treat you as family. :)

The curry has major side effects though...
I went to Mauritius in 1984 ... on a religious retreat, so I met a lot of people. The last day my host started out in the AM, and took me around ... what I figured would be 1 or 2 meals, it turned into 5 huge ones, with a 'snack before you go' about 2AM on a flight to Jo'burg for day and overnighter at a hotel where I then would continue on to Amsterdam and then home. About an hour after I got into the hotel, it (whatever water borne-illness it was) hit. 36 hours later I barely made it to the flight home. I have never been so sick in my entire life.

It's not the curry, it's the water. I have to be incredibly careful. Next trip to Mauritius (about 5 years back) I boiled water every single day ... still got a bit sick a couple of times, eating at peoples houses. The locals, immune from a lifetime of drinking it, just don't get it.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
No, not so. Firstly, I very clearly stated that "what happens in other countries is neither here nor there" in regards to this incident specifically. However, a church or a temple - as a religious building of worship - is much more protected by both American and Indian laws regarding freedom of religion and worship. Yet even here in America there is protest against the building of Pagan temples, Muslim mosques, and even sometimes Jewish temples.

Further still, and this is where your objection goes sideways, a church, temple or mosque is absolutely not the same thing as a 114 foot tall f**k-off statue of Jesus. It's already bad enough driving through the Midwest that I've got to see 200 ft tall crosses dotting the landscape but hey, we're apparently a Christian nation despite various laws to the contrary. Absolutely doesn't mean that I approve of them, and if I could successfully oppose them I would. Such ego-strokes are not necessary for worship or the freedom thereof. And, just to balance the table, if someone proposed a 300 ft tall statue of Thor, on their own land, I would oppose that too.
It is privately owned land and there's huge Hindu statues of their deities on their own land, as well. So why should Hindus be allowed collosal statues but Christians be denied?

Mind you, I just believe that people should be treated equally and am wary of the Hindutva fascists and their co-opting of anti-imperialist rhetoric.

Last edited:

night912

It is privately owned land and there's huge Hindu statues of their deities on their own land, as well. So why should Hindus be allowed collosal statues but Christians be denied?

Mind you, I just believe that people should be treated equally and am wary of the Hindutva fascists and their co-opting of anti-imperialist rhetoric.
The best and equal thing to do not allow any of them. You eliminate the problem before it even start. This way, all religions are equally treated not one is being in favor of the other. Just to be clear, I am just talking about these 100+ feet tall statues.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I searched for updates ... closest was 4 days ago, rather than week back when the story hit. Statue is on hold awaiting results of legal battles.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
The best and equal thing to do not allow any of them. You eliminate the problem before it even start. This way, all religions are equally treated not one is being in favor of the other. Just to be clear, I am just talking about these 100+ feet tall statues.
Yes, that would be fair. So let's destroy the Hindu statues above a certain height and not allow any others. That would be fair.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It is privately owned land and there's huge Hindu statues of their deities on their own land, as well.
It's actually not. It's on grazing lands owned by the state, that the Arch Diocese has just been using for the last 100 years or so. Even if it was private land, that is still subject to construction laws and regulations. What you call "colossal statues"; are they 114 feet tall? Do they comply with laws? Or are they within temples that comply with those laws, and thus also fall within the limits?

night912

Yes, that would be fair. So let's destroy the Hindu statues above a certain height and not allow any others. That would be fair.
But now you've just introduced a new problem. Hate crimes against a religious structure. That's how religion can be used. Religious freedom when it favors their group and religious discrimination when it's not in their favor.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is because they basically treat you as family. :)

The curry has major side effects though...
I love curry. But it can be interesting to see the clash of different cultures. In some cultures it is not polite to leave anything on the plate. In others an empty plate not only means that the guest wants more, it is the hosts duty to feed that guest more. That can create a situation that is quite uncomfortable for the guest.

Milton Platt

In my mind, the question is not whether the congregation has the right to erect the statue, but whether it is tactful to do so. In a climate of growing Hindu fanaticism I would advocate for something much more modest. Needlessly provoking non-Christian majorities is something that should be avoided in my opinion.

According to the link, the statue is the problem though. On the basis of a suspiciously convenient belief that a Hindu deity happens to dwell on the proposed site. Regardless, the notion that the presence of Christianity is somehow a threat to the India's Hindu majority is a paranoid fantasy. Christianity has been in India for a very long time and has converted but a tiny sliver of the population. Islam has had more success due to centuries of political dominance, but that's hardly the fault of the Christians.

Why are they characterized as extremists?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I love curry. But it can be interesting to see the clash of different cultures. In some cultures it is not polite to leave anything on the plate. In others an empty plate not only means that the guest wants more, it is the hosts duty to feed that guest more. That can create a situation that is quite uncomfortable for the guest.

Haha!!! That is when you have to stand your ground.... without offending the host.