• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi, I'm new and need help!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
My name is Michel, I am 55 years old, married with two sons. Due to severe depression and stress related problems, I had to retire from my bank job 10 years ago, having worked there for 24 years; at least I was retired on medical grounds, so I do get a pension!
I am very confused by religion; every time I have tried to go to church, I have found that everyone seems to accept whatever faith in its entirety, without question; what seems sad is the way a lot of these people dont seem to be very genuine - example; I joined the choir at our local church of England church; most of the choristers seemed to spend more time '*****ing' about each other than anything else. I was really disallusioned.

I dont really have any friends, and my wife and sons do not seem to think much about religion - that's ok by me, that's their choice. The only thing is that the only person I have to talk to is me, and that's pretty boring, 'cos I always know what I'm going to say!

I have read a little about various faiths, but my concentration is so poor that I can only read a very small amount at a time.

From what I've seen and heard, pretty much any religion sounds ok, and I guess I've picked out the bits I like from them all, to finish with 'my religion' - whatever that is!

My religion means that There is right and wrong; unfortunately I'm not very good at being 'good', and spend a lot of my life chastising myself for things I have done in the past, and am doing now.

I always 'talk to God' (I say prayers) when out in the forest near where I live; it seems so serene and unspoilt by man. What I feel guilty about is that I I feel as if I have to hide this(if I meet someone, I have to 'shut up', and wait until they're out of sight before resuming; isn't that 'letting God down'? I even feel guilty about that.

When I do a good deed, then I feel as if I ruin the deed by the vain thought that I have done something good; I guess this sounds stupid, but it is how I feel, and I can't give up what I believe in; it feels like I'm the worst sinner in the world - that part of The Lord's prayer 'forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those that trespass against us' always makes me feel bad; I feel as if everyone else can be forgiven by me, but I cant forgive myself; I cant justify asking for forgiveness for myself. It is as if others can be forgiven for not 'knowing better', but I can't because my own rules for me are so strict.

Does this ring a bell with anyone, or am I just an idiot?

Rex

Founder
Michel,

You shouldn't be afraid of your beliefs and I admire you posting what your going through. This is a good place for you start and find others that believe the same as you. Try to get to know everyone here and they will help you lead the way to your unveiling (sp?) to your family.

Glad to have you here and hope you find your niche!

Rex

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Welcome to the Forums, Michel! Sounds like you've had quite a journey getting here. There's a lot of information on these Forums, and lively debates. I think if you need people to discuss your religious views with, you'll find them here. The more you post, the more you learn. Welcome!

robtex

Veteran Member
michelhiernaux said:
I have to talk to is me, and that's pretty boring, 'cos I always know what I'm going to say!

That is a very testable theory. Testing is good. Next time when you are alone (how do you get alone time with wife and kids?). write down on a piece of paper what you do believe and why you believe it.

Write down your arguements for why any God exists and why he/she/it created the universe.

write down while you think prayers work..why you can think you can ask favors from a deity.

Write down everything else that is true to you and of major importance to your religion.

Divide that list into these areas:

things you can prove
things you can validate
things that you cannot validate or prove but believe.

Every week for the next year ending in Nov of 2005 spend a set time looking at a belief other than Christanity. You are doing this so you can get as much of the input as you can before rendering decisions. It is not any different than making a financial decsion on a bank. You would not offer a loan by only checking one credit souce right? Or looking at a business plan in addition to the credit source for a start up small business loan right?

By the same logic it makes sense when seaching for ones spirtuality to more info than one book of thought. So take your starting list and spend the next 12 months on a spirtual journey, which includes hanging here and listing to the discussions. At the end of that year look at the paper again. Find if anything has changed. Than repeat as neccessary year end and year out.

Scott1

Hello and welcome... you've come to the right place to get some answers..... or maybe you'll have more questions!
Live is such a grand journey, I am glad you are here and we can be a part of yours!

Peace be with you,
Scott

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Hello Michel and welcome to the forum! :) I hope you find the answers you are looking for and maybe we can help.

Davidium

From what I've seen and heard, pretty much any religion sounds ok, and I guess I've picked out the bits I like from them all, to finish with 'my religion' - whatever that is!
That sounds like the philosophy of a Unitarian Universalist if I have ever heard it!

All religions have value, it is up to the individual to decide what of each is valuable to them...

www.uua.org

Reason and Respect in all you say and do,

David Pyle
Galveston Island, Republic of Texas

maggie2

Hi Michel,

Glad you found this forum. It is awesome. You will find all kinds of people here from all kinds of faiths and many will be glad to share ideas and thoughts with you. They will also encourage you to express your thoughts as well. This is a great place.

Hang in there and keep posting. You'll get some surprising answers, I'm sure.

Trinity

There are not many sin that can't be forgiven... if any.

Know that God loves you and is calling you to be the best you can be.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Hi Michel and welcome aboard! Feel free to ask any of us about our faiths and beliefs and don't be afraid to do your own thing to. This is probably one of the best forums around.
:jam:

Mystic

You sound like you need a hug. Why are you so hard on yourself? I kind of know how you feel about the disallusionment. Some religions seem more like an organization at times than a place where people can connect with God.

You say you pray in the forest...have you asked God to help you find a church? This is where I am at right now. My husband too is not a church goer...but I want to find a church where I can take my children. I feel that God is leading me in the right direction. It might work for you too. Take care.

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
Welcome aboard, Michael. I am glad that you found us here and wish you the brightest blessings with finding the path that is right for you.

I also have depression so I may understand a little bit of what you go through although one may never understand everything each person endures with depression. We are able to post journal entries here as well and they can be private if you want them to be. If you wish advice or just someone to give comforting words then the journal can be public for us to view and comment on to help you.

Nice to have you here.

Brandy aka FyreBrigidIce

Hope

Princesinha
Michel, welcome to these forums, first of all. We're happy to have you here.:D I just want to say, though, that I can totally relate to you in so many ways. You are NOT an idiot! I've struggled with depression, disillusionment with oragnized religion, and so many other things, so don't feel as if you are alone. I encourage you to keep seeking God--He is there, even when it feels like He isn't--and don't be afraid to ask the tough questions. And, though I know it's so easy to be hard on oneself--trust me, I'm an expert in that area!--God is not ever as hard on you, as you are to yourself. That's one thing I've only recently started to become aware of.

There are some really great folks in this place, and I simply encourage you to feel free to vent, ask for advice, look for answers, whatever! My prayers are with you.....:)

Runt

Welcome to the forum Michel! I can tell already that your inquiring mind will be a great addition to this community. Rest assured, even if we do not succeed in helping you find any answers, we will certainly give you hundreds of new questions to ask and directions to explore. You may come to find that it is the seeking, and not the finding, that makes the journey worthwhile. ;)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Welcome! I'm glad you're here! I've found this is a good place to learn about one's own religious path, as well as meet some really nice people along the way. Hope you stay with us!

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Peace be with you Micheal,

Welcome to the Forums. You are not an idiot, not at all. What I could advice you with is to carry on asking and praying to our God, the One and only God of the whole universe. Trust and resort to Him the Merciful sincerly and be sure He will never disappoint you. Ask Him to guide you to His right path and be persistant in asking, for He loves those who don't lose hope and who are persistant is supplicating Him. Our dear God forgives all sins once one repents and goes back to Him.
May Allah guide you to His everlasting light! Ameen

Peace