• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi fellow seekers of personal truth

Ellie_A

Hi, it is nice to find a place where one can speak openly about ones own ideas. I look forward to learning as many other perspectives as I can. I guess I will end this introduction with the end of a favorite poem.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shame, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

Nice meeting you all,
Ellie

Pah

Uber all member
Welcome to ReligiousForums!!!!

We look forward to what you offer us in meeting those same goals and hope that our thoughts will help you to your goals.

-pah-

robtex

Veteran Member
Hey great to meet you. Give us some background age hobbies ect. I heard there was a uu church in colorado that had some famous bell imported from romania or someplace and placed on the church grounds. The bell is from an old UU church from 1800's I think...I don't know enough info so I can't google it...do you have a clue what I am babbling about? Glad you found this place.

Ellie_A

Here is a little background, I find it hard to talk about myself, but since you asked so nicely. I am 42, and like to read mostly non-fiction. I love anything that has to do with being creative, especially problem solving. As for the church with the bell, sorry I can not help with that. I can not even find a decent UU group in my area... a little town on the wester slope. If I find something about it though I will make sure to share.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Hello Ellie,

Great to have you on board. I would like to ask you to use a larger font - I'm going blind trying to read that small print. ;)
Secondly - the poem that your quote comes from is called Desiderata - the poem itself has a slightly twisted history (it was a top twenty hit in the early 70's and was parodied by National Lampoon), but I'll leave that alone for now. Here is the poem in its entirety:

Desiderata

Max Ehrmann (1872-1945)

From the Book:​

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.​
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.​
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for there will always be greater and lesser persons than yourself.​
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.​
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.​
Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.​
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue & loneliness.​
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.​
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.​
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.​
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.
TVOR

Ellie_A

I would have posted the whole poem myself but I have never run into a site online where I could actually be long winded... yes, that is a warning! LOL

yes it is a great poem and the SLN version is not that bad either considering the source