• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hero Margaret Hamilton wins award.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Margaret Hamilton a national treasure who hand wrote all the codes for the Apollo mission won the Presidental medal of freedom.

This makes me happy. I consider her a huge hero and she was the second person we considered for a namesake for my daughter. <we went with Malala.>.

Im.a bit disappointed that every one is talking about Tom Hanks.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/margar...gineer-awarded-presidential-medal-of-freedom/

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Tom Hanks is a fine person by all accounts, but I'm with you, iti: I wish our scientists got a bit more attention than they do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Margaret Hamilton a national treasure who hand wrote all the codes for the Apollo mission won the Presidental medal of freedom.

This makes me happy. I consider her a huge hero and she was the second person we considered for a namesake for my daughter. <we went with Malala.>.

Im.a bit disappointed that every one is talking about Tom Hanks.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/margar...gineer-awarded-presidential-medal-of-freedom/
Not to diminish her achievements, she did not write all the code.
No single person could've.
It was a gigantic team effort, & she led the software team.
Moreover, I'd call what she did "engineering" more than science.
(Science is merely a tool, & scientists are the servants to engineers.)

Oh......
Nerd!

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Not to diminish her achievements, she did not write all the code.
No single person could've.
It was a gigantic team effort, & she led the software team.
Moreover, I'd call what she did "engineering" more than science.
(Science is merely a tool, & scientists are the servants to engineers.)

Oh......
Nerd!
Good points thanks.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Tom Hanks is a fine person by all accounts, but I'm with you, iti: I wish our scientists got a bit more attention than they do.
I'm willing to bet that Tom Hanks is thrilled to meet and be honored with Ms. Hamilton, quite possibly more than he's excited to be honored himself.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Margaret Hamilton, the Wicked Witch of the West. Really?

12902521_f520.jpg

Who would have thought.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It's an engineer's, concurrent, dream and nightmare scenario, in many regards.
You remember that scene where they dump a bunch a spare parts in front of a room full of engineers to create a CO2 removal system? A guy I worked with for years was part of that team...there's even a guy in the scene that's a dead ringer for him. His version was quite entertaining and enlightening, more about the personalities involved than technical aspects...Yeah, I know...engineers with personalities...:p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You remember that scene where they dump a bunch a spare parts in front of a room full of engineers to create a CO2 removal system? A guy I worked with for years was part of that team...there's even a guy in the scene that's a dead ringer for him. His version was quite entertaining and enlightening, more about the personalities involved than technical aspects...Yeah, I know...engineers with personalities...:p
Engineers can have very different personalities......extrovert, introvert, etc.

Know how to tell if an engineer is an extrovert?
When talking to you, he looks at your shoes instead of his own.

But when I talk to you, I look you in the eye, & never blink.
It enhances the evil.
(I learned this trick from a Michael Caine interview.)