• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helping a Teen Navigate

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My son came out as bisexual early this year. His cousin(whom he's close with) decided that they should announce it together(she is, too).

No shock to me; most of us saw it coming. My son and my niece will find nothing but acceptance in this family, both the immediate and the extended.

However, my son's father(he is from a previous relationship) might not be as accepting. Nor might the extended family. Recently, my son seems to be stressing out about it more. If there is anyone in the world he wants to impress, its his dad. He says he's going to hide it from his father indefinitely. I am very sad that he would feel he has to do that, and that has to worry about this at all.

I'm at a loss on how to help him navigate this situation. He struggles to communicate on a good day, but this all seems to be making things even harder for him. I have alerted his counsellor to help him with this, but I'm unsure how I can best support him with the situation with his father.

Anyone gone through anything similar?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry I have not. I went through puberty though. The main thing to remember is that he's going to benefit from advice about becoming a responsible person who takes care of others. That should remain his focus and not body changes. He should focus on school and on occupation. Strengthen the core of him, giving him a moral focus to take care of himself and others. If he can do that he's batting a thousand.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
My son came out as bisexual early this year. His cousin(whom he's close with) decided that they should announce it together(she is, too).

No shock to me; most of us saw it coming. My son and my niece will find nothing but acceptance in this family, both the immediate and the extended.

However, my son's father(he is from a previous relationship) might not be as accepting. Nor might the extended family. Recently, my son seems to be stressing out about it more. If there is anyone in the world he wants to impress, its his dad. He says he's going to hide it from his father indefinitely. I am very sad that he would feel he has to do that, and that has to worry about this at all.

I'm at a loss on how to help him navigate this situation. He struggles to communicate on a good day, but this all seems to be making things even harder for him. I have alerted his counsellor to help him with this, but I'm unsure how I can best support him with the situation with his father.

i have carried secrets just to survive. at some point you realize when those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

love should be the condition, the only condition that matters. if you can help him with this, then he will begin to see his being of love is more important than just impressing others. you can't fix the relationship issues because you didn't create them.

has your son's father ever done or said something that has created this fear in your son? if so, he's already placed a wall between himself and his child that will be a limit on their relationship. your child can't remove that. only the one who placed it there can.

i can see where you son would be afraid to be himself. but love will win in the end. it always does; even if he has to love his dad from a distance.

thank you for supporting the action of love above the form.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry I have not. I went through puberty though. The main thing to remember is that he's going to benefit from advice about becoming a responsible person who takes care of others. That should remain his focus and not body changes. He should focus on school and on occupation. Strengthen the core of him, giving him a moral focus to take care of himself and others. If he can do that he's batting a thousand.

We're trying our best. I'd be lying if I said this wasn't somewhat difficult. He is on the autism spectrum, and there have been a lot of challenges around that, mostly with self sufficiency. The schools have not been conducive to helping. He does have an IEP(a special program that addresses kids with special needs' education), but it is so in favor of pushing the good grades it sometimes compromises life skills.

He's expressed interest in becoming a truck driver, and I think that might be something that's doable and enjoyable for him. We're trying to encourage him in that.

Like most 16 year olds, his emotions are a hot mess right now.

i have carried secrets just to survive. at some point you realize when those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
A saying I live by...

has your son's father ever done or said something that has created this fear in your son? if so, he's already placed a wall between himself and his child that be a limit on their relationship. your child can't remove that. only the one who placed it there can.

i can see where you son would be afraid to be himself. but love will win in the end. it always does; even if he has to love his dad from a distance.

thank you for supporting the action of love above the form.

Yeah, I'm sure he has. His dad is known for making pretty hateful comments towards folks that don't look, act, and think like him. He's never mistreated our son, but I could see him dropping anti-LGBT sentiments without realizing the situation.

His dad's always been more of the 'big brother' figure; the cool older guy we want to impress.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
We're trying our best. I'd be lying if I said this wasn't somewhat difficult. He is on the autism spectrum, and there have been a lot of challenges around that, mostly with self sufficiency. The schools have not been conducive to helping. He does have an IEP(a special program that addresses kids with special needs' education), but it is so in favor of pushing the good grades it sometimes compromises life skills.

He's expressed interest in becoming a truck driver, and I think that might be something that's doable and enjoyable for him. We're trying to encourage him in that.

A saying I live by...

Yeah, I'm sure he has. His dad is known for making pretty hateful comments towards folks that don't look, act, and think like him. He's never mistreated our son, but I could see him dropping anti-LGBT sentiments without realizing the situation.

His dad's always been more of the 'big brother' figure; the cool older guy we want to impress.
Hopefully he'll grow out of it.

Wanting to impress his dad I mean.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

hopefully he won't try to re-create your son in his own image. try to live vicariously through him.

obviously your son still retains most of that unconditional love that his father has eschewed.

that is one up on cain as roseanne cash would said

we all dance with the tiger sooner or later.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

He might enjoy it if you took him to Pilot or Flying J to learn how to do his laundry there, how to deal with the people there, how to deal with the showering situation. I think both places have a phone app that is relatively important, too. Actually there are a variety of types of truck stops, and so that might be something worth practicing for various ones. He could also see how drivers get fuel.

Can he ride a bicycle? Another idea is motorcycle lessons from mf-usa.org These cost around 500$. They provide a small bike and helmet, and they teach you (as part of a group) everything from A to Z about how to ride. Part of the training includes DMV traffic rules and takes place indoors with desks. Its a weekend course that mostly takes place in a large parking lot, and family are welcome to observe. This is a way to find out how far he has to go in order to make reasonable driving decisions.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Kinda similar, but not really.
My eldest (14) has told us she is bisexual. To be honest, given how her generation is (at least around here) my wife and I only semi-believe her. All the kids seem very invested in working out their 'labels' and she's as confused about almost everything as most 14 year olds.

Anyway, we just push the simple message that whatever her and her friends are in terms of sexuality, religion, gender, etc, they're welcome in our house as long as they treat others well.

No exes to worry about (hence different to your situation). Closest we get is that her grandfather is a very lively and forceful personality, and he often asks her if she has a boyfriend, or makes somewhat aged jokes about LGBTQIA+.

We've spoken to my eldest about it. But she's a girl who keeps her cards close to her chest, so it's hard to tell what she actually thinks. Out of date attitudes or not, though, I think she knows her Pa won't love her less if she comes out as bi,vso it's more awkward than problematic.

So...no real advice, but we tried to explain the jokes and possible reaction she'll get, hoping that smooths things a touch.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I think his instincts are good--no need to tell a dad who won't be supportive.

I see where he's coming from now, but his stress levels are definitely elevated over it. I know he had his first boyfriend recently(that was a short lived situation), and his aunt(dad's sister) works at his school, so that might be escalating it. I did suggest that when he's ready to communicate about it on that side of the family, that particular aunt might be a good first person to tell(I remember her being more understanding than some of the others).

I think it would be harder to hide as he gets older, but no need think about it now.

He might enjoy it if you took him to Pilot or Flying J to learn how to do his laundry there, how to deal with the people there, how to deal with the showering situation. I think both places have a phone app that is relatively important, too. Actually there are a variety of types of truck stops, and so that might be something worth practicing for various ones. He could also see how drivers get fuel.

Can he ride a bicycle? Another idea is motorcycle lessons from mf-usa.org These cost around 500$. They provide a small bike and helmet, and they teach you (as part of a group) everything from A to Z about how to ride. Part of the training includes DMV traffic rules and takes place indoors with desks. Its a weekend course that mostly takes place in a large parking lot, and family are welcome to observe. This is a way to find out how far he has to go in order to make reasonable driving decisions.

Those are very practical ideas. Good for his grandfather to help with, too. He was a career trucker. He's been retired about 6 or 7 years.

Somewhere else would be better to do laundry at... he knows how to do laundry, but had his privileges revoked as far as my machines go. He kept taking the clean clothes out of the washer, and instead of putting them in the dryer, would dump them back into the clean clothes(full well knowing better) because he didn't want to deal with it. After having some stuff ruined because of the moisture, and having talked to him about it(and been ignored) I decided he wasn't allowed to use the machines anymore. We're working(somewhat successfully) at getting him to stick his dirty clothes in the hampers so they can be laundered in a timely manner. He was saving it all up until he had nothing to wear, and wanting me to scurry and clean his stuff for the next day, as he'd waited until the last minute. I was unwilling to do that, and after having to re-wear his clothes more than once, he found it unpleasant enough that he's making an effort to oversee this aspect of his laundry. Not perfectly, but there's progress.

We were starting to work a bit with him to get his license, but when he decided to go back to in person schooling after two years online, he got a little overwhelmed with it. Maybe the spring would be a good time to pick that up again(we have nasty icy winters here; not a good time to learn).

Thanks for the well thought out ideas.

Kinda similar, but not really.
My eldest (14) has told us she is bisexual. To be honest, given how her generation is (at least around here) my wife and I only semi-believe her. All the kids seem very invested in working out their 'labels' and she's as confused about almost everything as most 14 year olds.

Anyway, we just push the simple message that whatever her and her friends are in terms of sexuality, religion, gender, etc, they're welcome in our house as long as they treat others well.

No exes to worry about (hence different to your situation). Closest we get is that her grandfather is a very lively and forceful personality, and he often asks her if she has a boyfriend, or makes somewhat aged jokes about LGBTQIA+.

We've spoken to my eldest about it. But she's a girl who keeps her cards close to her chest, so it's hard to tell what she actually thinks. Out of date attitudes or not, though, I think she knows her Pa won't love her less if she comes out as bi,vso it's more awkward than problematic.

So...no real advice, but we tried to explain the jokes and possible reaction she'll get, hoping that smooths things a touch.

My husband follows your line of thinking on the situation. I admit the only thing that surprised me with his coming out was the admission that he liked women at all. I always assumed he'd bring home another boy.

But yes, I agree. We've always maintained that everybody was welcome as long as they were kind and courteous.

I'm glad Pa will love your daughter no matter what.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
No. His dad wouldn't hurt him. He wouldn't take the news kindly, though.
It's up to your kid if he wants to come out or not. Dont out him without his consent. It's hard keeping secrets. But it's also hard to deal with hate. If possible give him this advice from a nonbinary person: Dont come out to unsupportive people first. Have him start out with people he thinks will supportive first. That being said it'll be likely some he thinks will be supportive may not be just like some who seem like they won't be actually will be. But once he finds folk that'll be accepting it should help him to be more confident in himself. Then if he wishes to come out to someone he thinks or knows won't be supportive it'll be easier. Tell him to keep in mind safety some folk might not be accepting. I recommend letting him listen to this song and other positive LGBT songs they can help him feel not alone:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It's up to your kid if he wants to come out or not. Dont out him without his consent. It's hard keeping secrets. But it's also hard to deal with hate. If possible give him this advice from a nonbinary person: Dont come out to unsupportive people first. Have him start out with people he thinks will supportive first. That being said it'll be likely some he thinks will be supportive may not be just like some who seem like they won't be actually will be. But once he finds folk that'll be accepting it should help him to be more confident in himself. Then if he wishes to come out to someone he thinks or knows won't be supportive it'll be easier. Tell him to keep in mind safety some folk might not be accepting. I recommend letting him listen to this song and other positive LGBT songs they can help him feel not alone:

No, I wouldn't tell anyone he doesn't want me to. He's pretty indifferent about people on my side of the family knowing being as no one has any problems with such things. Its his dad's side he worries about. I think we're thinking the same here; come out to the more supportive ones first.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Your son really has to work out his relationship with his father on his own. As supportive as you might be, you can't do that for them. Your job is support. You can talk to your ex about acceptance and love, if you choose to do so, but you will not make their relationship -- only they can do that, together.

However, you can help your son feel better about himself by being strong in your own acceptance. Self-confidence is a huge asset when dealing with personal relationship issues -- especially when they involve a parent. Parents are supposed to be strong -- but self-confidence, the sense of being, if not totally right, at least not in the least wrong -- can help him stand his ground.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Your son really has to work out his relationship with his father on his own. As supportive as you might be, you can't do that for them. Your job is support. You can talk to your ex about acceptance and love, if you choose to do so, but you will not make their relationship -- only they can do that, together.

However, you can help your son feel better about himself by being strong in your own acceptance. Self-confidence is a huge asset when dealing with personal relationship issues -- especially when they involve a parent. Parents are supposed to be strong -- but self-confidence, the sense of being, if not totally right, at least not in the least wrong -- can help him stand his ground.
I was trying to figure out what to say, but you said what I wanted to say, only better than I could have said it. Thanks.