• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me gift a Qur'anic prayer!!

Which passage of the Qur'an do you like better?

• Ayat-ul-Kursi, or the Throne Verse (2:255)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Surat Al-Sharh, Chapter 94

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Something else!

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Assalam'u'Alaykum!

I have a Muslimah friend who just got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I will be visiting her some time tomorrow. I am planning to print out a prayer from the Qur'an in English and French, decorate it with scrapbooking stickers (lol... I'm not very artsy), and framing it for her.

But which prayer? I thought either:

1) Ayat-ul-Kursi (from Al-Baqarah 2:255)
2) Surat al-Shahr (Chapter 94)

She likes praying Ayat-al-Kursi during times of difficulty, but I also do find Surat Al-Shahr very beautiful!

Here is Ayat-ul-Kursi:

In The Name of God, The Most Gracious, The Dispenser of Grace.

GOD - there is no Deity save Him, the Ever-Living, the Self-Subsistent Fount of All Being. Neither slumber overtaketh Him, nor sleep. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is on earth. Who is there that could intercede with Him, unless it be by His leave? He knoweth all that lieth open before men and all that is hidden from them, whereas they cannot attain to aught of His knowledge save that which He willeth. His eternal power overspreadeth the heavens and the earth, and their upholding wearieth Him not. And He alone is Truly Exalted, Tremendous.
Amin.

Au Nom de Dieu, le Clément, le Miséricordieux.

DIEU! Il n’y a point de divinité que Lui, le Vivant, l’Immuable! Ni l’assoupissement ni le sommeil n’ont de prise sur Lui, et tout ce qui est dans les Cieux et sur la Terre Lui appartient. Aucune intercession auprès de Lui ne peut être tentée sans Sa permission. Il connaît le passé et l’avenir des hommes, alors que ces derniers n’appréhendent de Sa science que ce qu’Il veut bien leur enseigner. Son Trône s’étend sur les Cieux et la Terre qu’Il tient sous Sa puissance sans difficulté. Il est le Très-Haut, Il est le Tout-Puissant.
Amin.

And of course, my own favourite, Chapter 94:

In The Name of God, The Most Gracious, The Dispenser of Grace:

Have we not opened up thy heart,
And lifted from thee the burden
That had weighed so heavily on thy back?
And have We not raised thee high in dignity?
And, behold, with every hardship cometh ease:
Verily, with every hardship cometh ease!

Hence, when thou art freed from distress, remain steadfast,
and unto thy Sustainer turn with love.

Au nom de Dieu, le Clément, le Miséricordieux.

N’avons-Nous pas épanoui ton cœur?
Ne t’avons-Nous pas soulagé du fardeau
qui te pesait sur le dos,
et n’avons-Nous pas rehaussé ton prestige?
Certes, à côté de la difficulté, il y a la facilité.
Certes, à côté de l’adversité, il y a la félicité.

Alors, chaque fois que tu as un moment de loisir, tourne-toi vers ton Seigneur
et aspire à Sa grâce avec ferveur!

if y'all have a preference, or maybe even a better passage to give, please let me know. God bless!

Jazak'allah khayran!

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I think the following would be nice too;

'...and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know.' (Surah Baqarah: 216)

Al-Hasan al-Basri said: 'Do not resent the calamities that come and the disasters that occur, for perhaps in something that you dislike will be your salvation, and perhaps in something that you prefer will be your doom.'

I think the following would be nice too;

'...and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know.' (Surah Baqarah: 216)

Thank you so much, Gharib, for your suggestion. I may place that in the card! :)

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you and your friend. / Que la paix soit sur vous et votre ami.

PART 1
The first chapter of Holy Quran is called Surah Al-Fatiha, It has others names too. One of these is Surah Al-Shifa (The Cure):

ENGLISH TRANSALTION OF SEVEN VERSES OF SURAH AL-FATIHA (AL-SHIFA)
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
The Gracious, the Merciful,
Master of the Day of Judgment.
Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
Guide us in the straight path —
The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed (Thy) favours, those who have not incurred (Thy) displeasure, and those who have not gone astray.
The Holy Quran

TRADUCTION FARNCAISE
Au nom d'Allah, le Gracieux, le Misericordieux.
Toutes les louanges appartiennent a Allah, Seigneur de tous les mondes.
Le Gracieux, le Misericordieux.
Maitre du Jour du Jugement.
C'est Toi seul que nous adorons, et c'est Toi seul que nous supplions de nous venir en aide.
Guide-nous sur le droit chemin-
Le chemin de ceux a qui Tu as accorde (Tes) faveurs, pas celui de ceux qui se sont attire (Ton) courroux, ni de ceux qui se sont egares.
The Holy Quran

PART 2
Invoking salutation on Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) is highly beneficial.
De prier pour la bénédiction sur le Prophète (paix et bénédictions d'Allah soient sur lui) est très bénéfique.

Last edited:

Maija

الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا اليه راجعون "Who, when a misfortune overtakes them, say: 'Surely we belong to God and to Him shall we return'."

This is the phrase that Muslims recite when a person is struck by calamity in life,and is usually recited upon hearing the news of someone's death. This can also be recited in any situation involving risk of any sort. The phrase is commonly translated as "Verily we belong to God, and to God we return."

Abu Musa al-Ashari reported that Muhammad said, "When a son of a servant of Allah dies, Allah Says to the angels, 'Have you taken the son of My servant?' They say, 'Yes.' Then Allah Says, 'Have you taken the fruit of his heart?' They say, 'Yes.' Allah Says, "What has My servant said?' They say, 'He has praised You and said, To Allah we belong and to Him is our return'. Then Allah Says, 'Build a house for My servant in Paradise and call it the house of praise.' From Tirmidhi, Musnad Ahmad and ibn Habban.

Maija

sorry for the simple and quick post from my phone, i really love that passage :) its a good reminder that alls is Gods will

Last edited: