• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help Brick Exhaustively Analyze Proverbs 27:10

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
First I must apologize for why this is in a debate section. It seems that I have some very critical points of view on some of the comments that I review. This likely will give rise to debates. I don't, however, have a point that I wish to debate in particular except if we should strongly disagree about what is a possible meaning for Proverbs 27:10 or my approach or your approach. I'm mainly looking for ideas and your thoughts rather than a rebuke of my thoughts, so please if you can try to shoot for something like that. Even so, go ahead and let me know how you feel if you'd like to.

In discussing this I would include the plain text but go beyond it, too; searching for indirect meanings. I was going to post a poll of some of the possible interpretations I had thought of, but this OP started getting too long.
:)

You may of course refer to any translation or the original -- provided you explain your analysis and comments in English! (for this English speaking site). I have provided several versions in this spoiler:

(WLC) רעך ורעה אביך אל־תעזב ובית אחיך אל־תבוא ביום אידך טוב שכן קרוב מאח רחוק׃

(NIV) Do not forsake your friend or a friend of your family, and do not go to your relative's house when disaster strikes you--better a neighbor nearby than a relative far away.

(NLT) Never abandon a friend--either yours or your father's. When disaster strikes, you won't have to ask your brother for assistance. It's better to go to a neighbor than to a brother who lives far away.

(KJV) Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity: [for] better [is] a neighbour [that is] near than a brother far off.

(LXX) φίλον σὸν ἢ φίλον πατρῷον μὴ ἐγκαταλίπῃς εἰς δὲ τὸν οἶκον τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ σου μὴ εἰσέλθῃς ἀτυχῶν κρείσσων φίλος ἐγγὺς ἢ ἀδελφὸς μακρὰν οἰκῶν

(VUL) amicum tuum et amicum patris tui ne dimiseris et domum fratris tui ne ingrediaris in die adflictionis tuae melior est vicinus iuxta quam frater procul

(JPS of 1917) Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity; better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off.

There are others. I do not include them all. Also at least one is under copyright, and I cannot find a public copy on the 'net.

Here a few sites that give a terse explanation, mainly repeating what the verse says and going no further. These aren't really what I am looking for, but they do analyze the plain speech in the text should we need someone to do so. I tend to see these kinds of explanations as too brief and not deep but valid in one dimension -- a sort of anchor to the meaning of the verse. Its a Proverb, so I think it must have facets and should have connection with the specific culture it is from. Generalizing too much seems almost like not valuing it.

This one tries a little harder: Q&A 0584 - Interpretation: Proverbs 27:10 | Douglas Jacoby"www.douglasjacoby.com/q-a-0584-interpretation-proverbs-27-10/[/URL]

Some ideas for possible intended meanings or rather than meanings perhaps they are indications of the opinions of the writer:
*Don't live in isolation
*Don't move too far from your parents
*Don't lose touch with friends
*Friendship is stronger than blood
*Be there for your neighbors. Be ready and able to help them.
*Live in a Jewish community
*Anticipate disasters. Be prepared.

You may be able to think of more or carve these down if you think the text doesn't imply anything like them.

What is your thought about Jacoby's criticism of searching for hidden meanings for the verse?

epronovost

I think a more modern translation would be the following:

"Don't be a dick."

But then again 60% of all good advices are different shades of the one above. The others are the following or variations of them.

"Think a bit before acting."

"Eat healthy"

"Always have a plan B in mind".

Deidre

I believe it refers to why it's ''better'' to have a close by neighbor in times of trouble than a brother (relative) who lives far away (and really isn't ''there'' for you). In other words, a complete stranger may be more helpful at times, than your own family.

DNB

Christian
First I must apologize for why this is in a debate section. It seems that I have some very critical points of view on some of the comments that I review. This likely will give rise to debates. I don't, however, have a point that I wish to debate in particular except if we should strongly disagree about what is a possible meaning for Proverbs 27:10 or my approach or your approach. I'm mainly looking for ideas and your thoughts rather than a rebuke of my thoughts, so please if you can try to shoot for something like that. Even so, go ahead and let me know how you feel if you'd like to.

In discussing this I would include the plain text but go beyond it, too; searching for indirect meanings. I was going to post a poll of some of the possible interpretations I had thought of, but this OP started getting too long.
:)

You may of course refer to any translation or the original -- provided you explain your analysis and comments in English! (for this English speaking site). I have provided several versions in this spoiler:

(WLC) רעך ורעה אביך אל־תעזב ובית אחיך אל־תבוא ביום אידך טוב שכן קרוב מאח רחוק׃

(NIV) Do not forsake your friend or a friend of your family, and do not go to your relative's house when disaster strikes you--better a neighbor nearby than a relative far away.

(NLT) Never abandon a friend--either yours or your father's. When disaster strikes, you won't have to ask your brother for assistance. It's better to go to a neighbor than to a brother who lives far away.

(KJV) Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity: [for] better [is] a neighbour [that is] near than a brother far off.

(LXX) φίλον σὸν ἢ φίλον πατρῷον μὴ ἐγκαταλίπῃς εἰς δὲ τὸν οἶκον τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ σου μὴ εἰσέλθῃς ἀτυχῶν κρείσσων φίλος ἐγγὺς ἢ ἀδελφὸς μακρὰν οἰκῶν

(VUL) amicum tuum et amicum patris tui ne dimiseris et domum fratris tui ne ingrediaris in die adflictionis tuae melior est vicinus iuxta quam frater procul

(JPS of 1917) Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity; better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off.

There are others. I do not include them all. Also at least one is under copyright, and I cannot find a public copy on the 'net.

Here a few sites that give a terse explanation, mainly repeating what the verse says and going no further. These aren't really what I am looking for, but they do analyze the plain speech in the text should we need someone to do so. I tend to see these kinds of explanations as too brief and not deep but valid in one dimension -- a sort of anchor to the meaning of the verse. Its a Proverb, so I think it must have facets and should have connection with the specific culture it is from. Generalizing too much seems almost like not valuing it.

This one tries a little harder: Q&A 0584 - Interpretation: Proverbs 27:10 | Douglas Jacoby"www.douglasjacoby.com/q-a-0584-interpretation-proverbs-27-10/[/URL]

Some ideas for possible intended meanings or rather than meanings perhaps they are indications of the opinions of the writer:
*Don't live in isolation
*Don't move too far from your parents
*Don't lose touch with friends
*Friendship is stronger than blood
*Be there for your neighbors. Be ready and able to help them.
*Live in a Jewish community
*Anticipate disasters. Be prepared.

You may be able to think of more or carve these down if you think the text doesn't imply anything like them.

What is your thought about Jacoby's criticism of searching for hidden meanings for the verse?
I do believe this verse to be extolling the virtues of friendship, over that of blood relatives. Not that the latter has no merit or significance, but rather that friends are chosen as opposed to siblings, and this choice is typically based on pragmatic reasons and that of affinity (pretentions aside). But, also, the stipulation about distance in the latter part of the context, implies that it's wise to gain allies within close proximity of your whereabouts, for what use is a brother 50 miles away when your needs are urgent and immediate.

It begins by endorsing the non-familial relationships of your own, and that of your family's, stating to not treat with indifference the power of multiple support channels.