• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hi there, welcome to RF. You've done a good job of getting your first post published, it's all downhill from here.

Enjoy your welcome cake
8552008209aad36f99a13bc912256954.gif

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hello I am new here and trying to get acclimated. I am an agnostic. I’m trying to figure out how to get my post published.

Thanks
Hello @benrubixcubed,

are you an agnostic or an Agnostic? (Colloquial agnostic = doesn't know whether a god exists; philosophical Agnostic = doesn't know about the existence or nature of god(s) - and thinks that nobody does.)

benrubixcubed

Hello @benrubixcubed,

are you an agnostic or an Agnostic? (Colloquial agnostic = doesn't know whether a god exists; philosophical Agnostic = doesn't know about the existence or nature of god(s) - and thinks that nobody does.)
Hello thanks for asking. I have intentional conscious unbelief. I neither believe or disbelieve in the existence of gods and I am a weak agnostic as I only believe that I don’t know and make no assumptions whether we could know. I disbelieve in most known concepts of gods, but hold the suspension of judgment towards an unknown god or that religion is some type of very poorly established cargo cult for something we didn’t understand.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you currently lack belief pending evidence, you are an atheist, by definition.
You sound unconvinced, and are withholding judgement; that's atheism.

benrubixcubed

If you currently lack belief pending evidence, you are an atheist, by definition.
I don’t lack anything. I neither have disbelief or belief. Lack of belief implies some need or judgment. Atheism is disbelief and I don’t identify with that. I am agnostic and have the suspension of judgment.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don’t lack anything. I neither have disbelief or belief. Lack of belief implies some need or judgment. Atheism is disbelief and I don’t identify with that. I am agnostic and have the suspension of judgment.
There are several flavors of atheism, but just plain, unmodified 'atheism' is simply a lack of belief; not an actual belief that there is no god.

I try to avoid the term "disbelief" in serious discussion because it's ambiguous. You never know whether it's being used to mean lack of belief or a positive belief in the non-existence of something. This ambiguity also lends itself to straw man shenanigans in some interlocutors.

benrubixcubed

There are several flavors of atheism, but just plain, unmodified 'atheism' is simply a lack of belief; not an actual belief that there is no god.

I try to avoid the term "disbelief" in serious discussion because it's ambiguous. You never know whether it's being used to mean lack of belief or a positive belief in the non-existence of something. This ambiguity also lends itself to straw man shenanigans in some interlocutors.

I understand atheism is a belief. I understand how doxastic attitudes work. I’m not here to give any special pleadings to atheism or theism. I accept academic definitions and science. I reject the New Age Atheism conflating over agnosticism.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome, Ben!

Hello thanks for asking. I have intentional conscious unbelief. I neither believe or disbelieve in the existence of gods and I am a weak agnostic as I only believe that I don’t know and make no assumptions whether we could know. I disbelieve in most known concepts of gods, but hold the suspension of judgment towards an unknown god or that religion is some type of very poorly established cargo cult for something we didn’t understand.

Although I'm a theist (Judaism is my religion), I don't have any expectations of others subscribing to the same things that my religion teaches me. I admit to not knowing a lot, as well. I don't know where we go when we die (if we go anywhere at all), and I don't know what God looks like or exactly how God thinks. I am pro-science and I believe that living creatures evolve over time because I believe that God established natural laws that govern the world. I don't think that my religion exists to explain the things I don't understand, but instead to guide me in the things that I do understand. One thing that I do understand is that we all need to be kinder to each other in this world that we live in.

Anyway, allow me to add some chocolate rugelach to your Feast of Welcome!

Chocolate-Rugelach-23.jpg