• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello from Alaric

Alaric

Hi everyone, on this very nicely designed forum! I'm a 24-year-old guy studying business in Copenhagen, Denmark, who is unfortunately much more interested in philosophy, religion and ethics than in business...

I'm an atheist who's fascinated in the moral consequences of atheism and different religious and theistic beliefs, their consequences on the individual and on society, free will, responsibility, ethical relativism/objectivism etc.

Look forward to some good meaty discussions.

xllb

Alaric wrote:

>Hi everyone, on this very nicely designed forum!

It’s the most utilitarian design I’ve seen anywhere.

> I'm a 24-year-old guy studying business in Copenhagen, Denmark, who is unfortunately much more interested in philosophy, religion and ethics than> in business...

I’m 55, going on 12. Philosophy is the pursuit of truth. I share your interest. Regarding religion, I’m glad its “absolutes” evolve to accommodate discovery. As with everything else, this will accelerate (a non-profit prediction).

>I'm an atheist who's fascinated in the moral consequences of atheism and different >religious and theistic beliefs, their consequences on the individual >and on society, free will, responsibility, ethical relativism/objectivism etc.

Let’s talk about “free will” in the Christianity forum. Here’s a start from my perspective.

The concept of Free Will arises from Adam’s decision to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Pre-tree he was allegedly only aware of good. Obviously, pre-tree, Eve had not experienced PMS.

Post-tree, Adam had the privilege of choosing between good and evil. In exercising such choices, Adam, together with his prodigy by default, exercised free will, or so we’re told. (aside – apparently there’s no free will when it comes to our hardwired tendency to err on the side of sin.) (aside from aside – Who was the mother of Adam’s grandchildren?)

Although I’m not a determinist, I’m nevertheless not satisfied that there is any such thing as free will in anything other than a subjective sense, limited and defined by a person’s scope of reference.

Rex

Founder
xllb said:
Alaric wrote:

>Hi everyone, on this very nicely designed forum!

It’s the most utilitarian design I’ve seen anywhere.

> I'm a 24-year-old guy studying business in Copenhagen, Denmark, who is unfortunately much more interested in philosophy, religion and ethics than> in business...

I’m 55, going on 12. Philosophy is the pursuit of truth. I share your interest. Regarding religion, I’m glad its “absolutes” evolve to accommodate discovery. As with everything else, this will accelerate (a non-profit prediction).

>I'm an atheist who's fascinated in the moral consequences of atheism and different >religious and theistic beliefs, their consequences on the individual >and on society, free will, responsibility, ethical relativism/objectivism etc.

Let’s talk about “free will” in the Christianity forum. Here’s a start from my perspective.

The concept of Free Will arises from Adam’s decision to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Pre-tree he was allegedly only aware of good. Obviously, pre-tree, Eve had not experienced PMS.

Post-tree, Adam had the privilege of choosing between good and evil. In exercising such choices, Adam, together with his prodigy by default, exercised free will, or so we’re told. (aside – apparently there’s no free will when it comes to our hardwired tendency to err on the side of sin.) (aside from aside – Who was the mother of Adam’s grandchildren?)

Although I’m not a determinist, I’m nevertheless not satisfied that there is any such thing as free will in anything other than a subjective sense, limited and defined by a person’s scope of reference.

We have a whole topic on Free Will already started in the General Religion Forum or it might be the Debate Forum.. check it out.

Runt

I'm pretty sure it is in the Debate forum. Fun, rather interctive debate. Got kinda off topic for a while tho (my bad :p).

Alaric

Thanks for the welcomes - just a veeery quick reply to xllb's nice post before I head over to free will:
If Adam didn't know evil pre-tree, he couldn't know it was wrong to eat the fruit - in fact he must have thought it was right. In fact he had no free will pre-tree to choose not to eat the fruit. In which case it was mightily unfair of God to make us work the soil and suffer birth pains! :)

Caiman

Alaric, I like you am not aligned with any organised religion, I look forwards to seeing your contributions

Ceridwen018

Hey there! I just wanted to say that I find your stuff to be very interesting. You're one of the people whose new posts I go looking for!

Ceridwen018

Hey there! I just wanted to say that I find your stuff to be very interesting. You're one of the people whose new posts I go looking for!