• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Hello! 911"

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I just came back from a situation with a neighbour. You see, I live in a nice middle class neighbourhood, with a nice mix of people etc... lovely trees... The whole nine yards.

Anyways, I have this elderly neighbour who has been screaming at the top of his lungs for about ... 3 months now. For the first month I assumed it was just a hothead, that I had never really noticed prior to this. The next month, it began to increase.

Like, this fellow screams for 10-15 and then goes inside, probably to rest. He is somewhere between 70-80 years old, build like a little battle ship and about five foot nothing. He appears to be Italian, although it is difficult to say for sure.

Anyways, I brought it up to my next door neighbour yesterday saying I was getting close to calling the cops on him. My neighbour indicated that the rest of the neighbourhood was up in arms as well and "someone" was trying to contact his son.

*sigh*

Well... he just did it again. I grabbed my notebook and pen and stormed across the street. Once in front of his house, two doors down, I looked for and then wrote down his address. Then in a commanding voice, I DO sound like a radio announcer... I demanded to know his name. All I said was, "Sir, what is your name?" He looked right at me, mumbled and then started screaming all over again.

I know he understood me because, again, looking right at him I said, "Fine! You're going to jail, bud." With that he stopped yelling and slowly went back into his house and I returned home and immediately called the police non-emergency number.

I quickly explained the situation and STRESSED that I did not want to get him into trouble, but that he is SCREAMING for help. (Although he just appears to be angry and screaming his lungs out. An odd cardio excercise perhaps. Who knows.)

Anyways, now the police will come some time tonight and have a chat with him. But I feel a bit guilty for reporting him. I just hope the old bugger doesn't give the cops a hard time when they finally show up. I am more concerned his is going to have a coronary and no one will think to look because we are so used to him being outside at all hours. The boy who cried wolf syndrome. BTW: The police operator was marvellous, absolutely marvellous. Top marks.

What would you have done, in my shoes?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Probably let it go on a little while longer, although I have been building my backbone and would have called non-emergency police.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Paul, this guy is a verifiable fruit loop with sugar on top. He's lost it man! I CANNOT believe you've lasted for 3 months with this fry job on the loose....you have my sympathies.

But, I would have been scared to approach him.....I would have snitched on him long ago but anonymously. I hope he doesn't egg your house tonight.

Don't feel guilty though...not for a second. Keep us updated. This is just weird enough to hold my interest!

Booko

Deviled Hen
Pretty much the same thing, Paul. If he's been doing this for 3 months now, he needs help. Considering his age and what you told the cops, they should be able to get social services involved.

The cops really do see this sort of thing all the time.

It's possible he has Alzheimer's or senile dementia. Some people get loud and violent, and really don't know what they're doing at the time.

One of my uncles was beating his wife, and she finally had to call the cops to rescue her, much as that pained her. The cops called social services, they put him in the psych ward where he could be cared for and safe, which was what needed to happen.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Booko said:
Pretty much the same thing, Paul. If he's been doing this for 3 months now, he needs help. Considering his age and what you told the cops, they should be able to get social services involved.

It's possible he has Alzheimer's or senile dementia. Some people get loud and violent, and really don't know what they're doing at the time.

One of my uncles was beating his wife, and she finally had to call the cops to rescue her, much as that pained her. The cops called social services, they put him in the psych ward where he could be cared for and safe, which was what needed to happen.
I'm guessing the poor guy must not have much in the way of family to look after him. You would think he would be showing other signs of trouble besides his irrational fits of screaming. Hopefully the sad chap will get the help he needs and the neighborhood will get a break. And maybe someone can take him some cookies when he gets back from the hospital.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
beckysoup61 said:
Probably let it go on a little while longer, although I have been building my backbone and would have called non-emergency police.
I hear you Becky. I did call the non-e number actually. However, the young lady I was speaking to was very clear that if his "tone" changes, not to hesitate to call the main 911 number.

dawny0826 said:
If the man was unapproachable...I probably would have done the same thing.
VERY unapproachable. He is only marginally responsive, so agreed. Time to call someone. Thx Dawn.
Buttercup said:
Paul, this guy is a verifiable fruit loop with sugar on top. He's lost it man! I CANNOT believe you've lasted for 3 months with this fry job on the loose....you have my sympathies.

But, I would have been scared to approach him.....I would have snitched on him long ago but anonymously. I hope he doesn't egg your house tonight.

Don't feel guilty though...not for a second. Keep us updated. This is just weird enough to hold my interest!
It is stressful have no doubt. I can't imagine what it must be like for the people on either side of him. I am just concerned he needs help and everyone is just standing staring at him.... like he is a few sandwhiches short of a picnic... just yelling at him to shutup (That is very recently btw) Tonight is the first time I have become directly involved. But when you consider that he does this at ANY HOUR of the day or night. He woke me up at 5:30 am today. .... a few nights ago it was around 3 am.

Booko said:

Wholeheartedly agreed Booko. I am a pretty understanding and patient guy, but this is driving everyone nuts. Why am I always the one who actually does something, LOL. Sheesh. Like, doesn't anyone care about people anymore? It is sad hearing neighbours screaming at HIM to shutup (again, a very recent development).

I guess what bugs me about the whole thing is that no one was really lifting a finger to help him and everyone is getting ready to lynch him. Oh well, at least now he MIGHT get some much needed help. I think my guilt is from not doing something sooner.