• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell in Islam

What do muslims think about hell?

• Hell exists. People sent there will be there for all eternity.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hell exists. People sent there will be there for a limited time.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Hell does not exist. God permanently destroys people who deserve it.

• Hell does not exist. God teaches and redeems people gradually using non-violent methods.

• Hell does not exist. God transforms people into virtuous beings and welcomes them into heaven.

• Total voters

THIS POLL IS FOR MUSLIMS ONLY.

Ive recently come across a muslim who believes that hell is not eternal, and quoted the Koran and Hadith to back up his claim. Up to that point I had never come across a muslim who thought that hell was not eternal. Now Im curious as to what the numbers are so Ive created this poll with several options. Not that I think the poll would be a necessarily accurate representation of what the true numbers are. In any case, Im not here for debate and respect DIR rules, Im simply interested in the figures.

Sahar

I can't talk about the issue of eternity of hell with certainty.
Indeed, there is an Islamic opinion which says that Hell is not eternal. I prefer that opinion but it might be right or wrong. Anyway...only God knows.

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's what I found on the subject:

1. Allah says (7:156) 'I will inflict My punishment on whom I will; but My mercy encompasses all things.'

2. Hazrat Omar (ra) states: "Even if the dwellers in hell may be numberless as the sand of the desert, surely a day would come when they will be taken out of it" (Tafsir Fath-ul-Byan, the Fathuo Bari, Durr-e- Mansur and Hadil Arwah of Ibn-i-Qayyum).

3. "Verily a day would come over hell when there shall not be a single human being in it" (Kanzul Ummal Vol. VII, page 245; Fatah-ul-Bayan fi Maqasid-ul-Quran by Siddiq ibn Hasan).

4. Abiding therein so long as the heavens and the earth endure, EXCEPT as your Lord please; surely your Lord is the mighty doer of what He intends. 11:107

Surely if Allah's mercy encompasses all, it seems it would include those in Hell.

ohhcuppycakee

I was always taught that those who believe, but have sinned in this life without the forgiveness of God, will spend some time in the Hell, but then be purified, and go to heaven.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
There's not a poll option for my answer. Hell is Earth and we all experience it. Some for longer than others, and some maybe until Earth and matter cease to exist and then who knows.

muslim-

Yes it is eternal. Very few said its not but texts say otherwise.

What can be said however, is that giving a promised reward, can only be a part of Gods perfection. As breaking a promise doesnt fit Gods perfection.

Not giving a promised punishment, however, is kindness and mercy, and not "breaking a promise".

That said, we can only accept what scripture says, which is that hell is eternal for disbelievers.

As for believers, they are cleansed from their sins, and enter heaven afterwards, as mentioned in Sunnah.

Last edited:

peacecrusader888

@muslim

You are correct that punishment in Hell is eternal. God treats everyone equally whether he is a believer or an unbeliever. Does God give rain only to those who believe in Him? Both are affected, aren’t they?

If God is King of kings, will a king break his promise?

elmarna

Sorry - could not take your poll.
I fall into the catagory -
Hell exisists and you must remain there until you redeem yourself by following the ways & see the straight path you were asked to follow.

peacecrusader888

@elmarna

You are correct that Hell exists. But do you think you can “redeem yourself by following the ways & see the straight path you were asked to follow”? How can you if you are not in your physical body anymore? You can only repent while the soul is in the physical body. Please remember this.

elmarna

The very avenues we walk will be the foundations of where we are headed.
What is inside must come out!
The acountability starts now & is the foundations of our church!
So many have found shatan as we speak. They have a chance to consider my words now.
Is it not the very subject matter in the choices of what we bring to life in our service that showers the world with the ways of who we follow?
I do not wish to be considered for hell or to tread off the straight path.
I meerly understand that people do & may not realize that they support hell now & will find it later if they so choose!

peacecrusader888

@elmarna

Thank you for your PM and your reply.

We are the engineer of the house we are building. The English poet William Ernest Heley wrote in his poem "Invictus", "I qm the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."

This is my reply to one poster: To sin is to violate the commandments of the true God. So, it depends upon a person where he would like live in the afterlife forever, to be rewarded with a life to live with God in His kingdom or to be punished in Hell. “If a person wants to be evil, it is his choice to be evil. If he wants to be healed, it is also his choice to be healed.” In Filipino, it says, “Kung ibig mong sumama (to be evil), sa iyo magmumula. Kung ibig mong gumaling, sa iyo manggagaling.”

We can be healed if we sincerely repent while our soul is still in our physical body. God will forgive us. And we promise that that we will not offend God anymore.

Last edited: