• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heaven Can Wait.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
What am I supposed to do with the above? It seems to be Gnostic in nature and therefor not based on any potential objective foundation. It appears to be metaphysical speculation without any evidence given to consider. I might or might not agree with a part or the whole but since I have no evidence or scripture to consider I am unable to meaningfully consider what appears to be a conclusion minus any premise'. Can you clarify how you determined any of this?

There is no evidence for or against God (by design, if God exists), so my statement is based on the what if speculation following the assumption of the existence of a beneficent God. If that is not the case, or if a God doesn't exist, then disregard.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
There is no evidence for or against God (by design, if God exists), so my statement is based on the what if speculation following the assumption of the existence of a beneficent God. If that is not the case, or if a God doesn't exist, then disregard.
Evidence is defined as data that if included as a premise makes the conclusion more likely than in the case of it's absence. There are mountains of evidence for not only God's existence but also for his nature, action's, and requirements concerning us. My faith does not exist in a vacuum nor is it blind faith, it is based on good evidence in many areas, personal experience, and philosophical argumentation.

However we are not discussing my views or what they are based on. I was asking for the evidence, argumentation, premise' for your conclusions. Until you can explain why you believe what you have claimed I cannot evaluate your conclusions. At least state what it is you are positing may be true from which you base your conclusions upon. I believe God exists and have conclusions that follow from the vast amount of evidence that he does exist. If I argue God exists it is my burden to provide that evidence and the show ho my conclusions follow from that evidence. Can you do so with your conclusions?

There is nothing so dangerous as metaphysical speculation.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Evidence is defined as data that if included as a premise makes the conclusion more likely than in the case of it's absence.

If evidence is included as part of the premise, then it's circular logic.

If, on the other hand, we propose a supposition based on the evidence at hand, and look for further supporting or contraindicating evidence, how can we dismiss that subsequent evidence except by irrational conflict.

There are mountains of evidence for not only God's existence but also for his nature, action's, and requirements concerning us.

What "mountains of evidence" other than hearsay? I submit there is none.

My faith does not exist in a vacuum nor is it blind faith, it is based on good evidence in many areas, personal experience, and philosophical argumentation.

Again, none other than hearsay.

However we are not discussing my views or what they are based on. I was asking for the evidence, argumentation, premise' for your conclusions. Until you can explain why you believe what you have claimed I cannot evaluate your conclusions. At least state what it is you are positing may be true from which you base your conclusions upon. I believe God exists and have conclusions that follow from the vast amount of evidence that he does exist. If I argue God exists it is my burden to provide that evidence and the show ho my conclusions follow from that evidence. Can you do so with your conclusions?

You have no rational conclusions supporting the existence of God. Neither are there any against it. My conclusions are based on a total lack of evidence either way. There is only evidence against revealed gods. The only two reasonable positions on the existence of God, in this universe, are agnostic-atheism and agnostic-deism--and the only difference between those two, is hope..

There is nothing so dangerous as metaphysical speculation.

But this isn't metaphysical speculation, it's speculation based on two premises, no God, or a laissez-faire God--and wherefore the universe.

arthra

Baha'i
The Hereafter, if it and/or God exists, would be purely voluntary, always there for those who can face the Truth, and who understand that fulfillment means more to the soul than even fun or happiness. For those who don't, and for the evil at heart, Heaven would be an eternal Hell, causing them to seek the ever available path of dropping out through merciful oblivion.
Such an environment could be thought of as being bathed in the unavoidable light of Truth. Lying, especially to one's self, would have the painful effect of placing yourself in isolation in a purgatory of complete darkness. An enmity with Truth, in this universe, allows us to continue to make those choices that isolate us from it, while maintaining our illusions, enabling us to choose to reverse our course through repentance. After the test is over, that's no longer possible. Hell is a dark and lonely, crushing regret.

In my belief "heaven" is nearness to God.. that is a state of the soul in which we are following the Will of God ...humbly biding by His Will and experiencing a state of nearness to our Creator... Remoteness from God or being alienated from God is more of a hellish condition.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Plenty of food in hell, but no water. Why Jesus said "All who come to me will never thirst".

Bird123

The Hereafter, if it and/or God exists, would be purely voluntary, always there for those who can face the Truth, and who understand that fulfillment means more to the soul than even fun or happiness. For those who don't, and for the evil at heart, Heaven would be an eternal Hell, causing them to seek the ever available path of dropping out through merciful oblivion.

Such an environment could be thought of as being bathed in the unavoidable light of Truth. Lying, especially to one's self, would have the painful effect of placing yourself in isolation in a purgatory of complete darkness. An enmity with Truth, in this universe, allows us to continue to make those choices that isolate us from it, while maintaining our illusions, enabling us to choose to reverse our course through repentance. After the test is over, that's no longer possible. Hell is a dark and lonely, crushing regret.

The test will never end unless you pass them. I understand many choose to take the lessons over again. If one chooses to do the very same thing, how can one really expect different results? That seems to be a hard lesson for many.

With the infinite diversity of souls, there will always be one who can pierce the darkness with the light of truth. A soul can attempt to exist only in their created illusion world, however there will always be someone out there who will not allow you to box yourself away. Since there is eternity in which to work, it's just a matter of Time before even the darkest soul finds themselves basking in the warmth of the Light.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
If evidence is included as part of the premise, then it's circular logic.
I do not think so, evidence has no more appropriate location than in a premise. If I was trying to prove your existence then evidence that you exist is the primary premise I can possibly use. Circular logic is not evidence for God's existence it is to say that since God exists then he exists or if I appealed to scriptures that say God's revelation is true and therefor the scriptures must be true. Evidence is the premise in virtually all court cases. I do not know what you posted here maybe a definition can help:

Circular reasoning (Latin: circulus in probando, "circle in proving"; also known as circular logic) is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with. The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true.

No mention of evidence in the premise.

If, on the other hand, we propose a supposition based on the evidence at hand, and look for further supporting or contraindicating evidence, how can we dismiss that subsequent evidence except by irrational conflict.
This was a little confusing. Can you supply a relevant example for what you stated here to clarify your meaning?

What "mountains of evidence" other than hearsay? I submit there is none.
This is very easy. I will give just one of thousands of examples. It is easy to not only conclude the necessity of a supernatural entity but also many of that entities characterizes from either Leibnitz's or kalam's cosmological argument. If you wish to know how then please ask and I will lay it all out.

Again, none other than hearsay.
This argument is not even good enough to be circular reasoning. This is just to declare the conclusion without even a hint of a premise or argument. However let me give some evidence which contradicts your declaration. I was born again when I was 27 years old. That experience is just as valid as any argument of any kind based on sensory experience. You would have to demonstrate that my personal experience is some how null and void. Good luck, and even if you do what is necessary here I could give you countless other arguments of this type and of many other types that are just as valid and relevant to justify my evidence based world view.

You have no rational conclusions supporting the existence of God. Neither are there any against it. My conclusions are based on a total lack of evidence either way. There is only evidence against revealed gods. The only two reasonable positions on the existence of God, in this universe, are agnostic-atheism and agnostic-deism--and the only difference between those two, is hope..
How on earth can you possibly know if I have the evidence for my conclusions whether I do nor not? Even if I did not have any evidence (and I actually do) you would (especially at this early stage of the discussion) you would have absolutely no way to know that. Please bring some arguments before you make unknowable and sweeping claims deny an entire category of knowledge.

Your latter point about the only possible conclusions that can be drawn is unequivocally incorrect. From simply personal experience alone absolute proof for God's existence is theoretical proof of God's existence. It would be subjective proof, but proof none the less and since you have no access what so ever to a Christians spiritual experience you can not possibly know what you claim to know. Your are making some bold and generalized statements which you lack 100% of the evidence to even hint at your conclusions. You are not making arguments, merely making assertions without even attempting to provide any reason why you might be right.

If you do not even hint at what it is you are basing your sweeping conclusions of there is nothing for me to consider.

But this isn't metaphysical speculation, it's speculation based on two premises, no God, or a laissez-faire God--and wherefore the universe.
It is metaphysical speculation if you do not explain what it is you are suggesting justifies your conclusions. You keep declaring things are this way or that without supplying a single reason (good or bad) to consider in order to evaluate your conclusions. Basically what ever I say your respond to by saying "nuh-uh".

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
In my belief "heaven" is nearness to God.. that is a state of the soul in which we are following the Will of God ...humbly biding by His Will and experiencing a state of nearness to our Creator... Remoteness from God or being alienated from God is more of a hellish condition.

Well since there is either no God, or a laissez-faire God, and a complete lack of evidence for or against either, the only possible expression of God's will would have to be found embedded in our nature--most likely our full, mortal self-awareness and the inborn morality that imparts.

Plenty of food in hell, but no water. Why Jesus said "All who come to me will never thirst".

If Jesus did say that, I'm sure he was speaking metaphorically.

The test will never end unless you pass them. I understand many choose to take the lessons over again. If one chooses to do the very same thing, how can one really expect different results? That seems to be a hard lesson for many.

There's only one test, subverting the rights of others to your own, or honoring them equally with yours. And after all of those tests, you're the only one who can judge whether you can live in the Light of Truth with what you were/are, or not.

With the infinite diversity of souls, there will always be one who can pierce the darkness with the light of truth. A soul can attempt to exist only in their created illusion world, however there will always be someone out there who will not allow you to box yourself away. Since there is eternity in which to work, it's just a matter of Time before even the darkest soul finds themselves basking in the warmth of the Light.

But when you die, if there is a Hereafter, the test is over, and you're left to face the decisions you made while you possessed your free will unfettered by the knowledge of God. Heaven is being able to live with that, otherwise the painful Truth drives you to opt for oblivion. We're our own judges, S'my considered opinion anyway. We'll see...or not.

I do not think so, evidence has no more appropriate location than in a premise. If I was trying to prove your existence then evidence that you exist is the primary premise I can possibly use. Circular logic is not evidence for God's existence it is to say that since God exists then he exists or if I appealed to scriptures that say God's revelation is true and therefor the scriptures must be true. Evidence is the premise in virtually all court cases. I do not know what you posted here maybe a definition can help:

Circular reasoning (Latin: circulus in probando, "circle in proving"; also known as circular logic) is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with. The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true.

No mention of evidence in the premise.

The World looks flat (evidence), therefore it is flat, because it looks flat. The reasoner begins with the evidence that "proves" the conclusion he set out to prove. The circular argument always involves some evidence, no matter how irrational or unfounded (e.g hearsay).

This was a little confusing. Can you supply a relevant example for what you stated here to clarify your meaning?

If you look for further supporting evidence for a supposition, and find some which is rational, but you dismiss it because it doesn't support your preconceived outcome, that's irrational. Ships sails go out of sight with distance, indicating a spherical Earth, but it still looks flat, so if you dismiss the new evidence, which irrational.

This is very easy. I will give just one of thousands of examples. It is easy to not only conclude the necessity of a supernatural entity but also many of that entities characterizes from either Leibnitz's or kalam's cosmological argument. If you wish to know how then please ask and I will lay it all out.

OK, I'm willing to concede that the universe/Big Bang has a cause. But there's no evidence that such a cause was either willful or natural. I personally believe that the cause was God, but that's based entirely on hope. That's the only difference between atheism and deism. I further believe that God set it up this way so that we would have unfettered free will--THE reason for the universe. Whatever this universe was created from or extruded into, appears to be a timeless ether or Quantumland, where quantum transactions are completed "immediately" without regard for distance.

It seems that if the universe is natural, that such a perfect lack of evidence for it's cause seems designed. Unfortunately, we can't use a lack of evidence as evidence.

Of your thousands of examples, could you please just present the summary, or name, of one?

This argument is not even good enough to be circular reasoning. This is just to declare the conclusion without even a hint of a premise or argument. However let me give some evidence which contradicts your declaration. I was born again when I was 27 years old. That experience is just as valid as any argument of any kind based on sensory experience. You would have to demonstrate that my personal experience is some how null and void. Good luck, and even if you do what is necessary here I could give you countless other arguments of this type and of many other types that are just as valid and relevant to justify my evidence based world view.

God could come down and prove Itself to you. What good does that do me or anyone else. And in doing so, your moral free will would be undermined since all subsequent moral decisions you made would be divinely skewed by your knowledge that God is looking over your shoulder. You might as well have died at that point.

The only purpose for the universe is to spawn sentient creatures with unfettered free will. An omnipotent God could do anything else instantly.

How on earth can you possibly know if I have the evidence for my conclusions whether I do nor not? Even if I did not have any evidence (and I actually do) you would (especially at this early stage of the discussion) you would have absolutely no way to know that. Please bring some arguments before you make unknowable and sweeping claims deny an entire category of knowledge.

No, I can't say you don't have some personal proof. But if you can't present any evidence of support for it, for me, it's pure hearsay, and I would be a fool to change my life and believe in it. Multiply yourself by 3 billion and what have I got? The same nothing, which is particularly troubling since I've been there and done that.

Your latter point about the only possible conclusions that can be drawn is unequivocally incorrect.

Anyone who follows a path based only on hearsay, is irrationally following an unreasonable path.

It is metaphysical speculation if you do not explain what it is you are suggesting justifies your conclusions. You keep declaring things are this way or that without supplying a single reason (good or bad) to consider in order to evaluate your conclusions. Basically what ever I say your respond to by saying "nuh-uh".

All I'm claiming is that there are only two possible causes for the universe that fits the evidence. You've yet to show evidence for a revealed religion that's based on anything other than hearsay, be it your own or someone else's. Your "nuh-uh" evaluation is an indication that your conversion was based on similar emotions.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Well since there is either no God, or a laissez-faire God, and a complete lack of evidence for or against either, the only possible expression of God's will would have to be found embedded in our nature--most likely our full, mortal self-awareness and the inborn morality that imparts.

There's only one test, subverting the rights of others to your own, or honoring them equally with yours. And after all of those tests, you're the only one who can judge whether you can live in the Light of Truth with what you were/are, or not.

But when you die, if there is a Hereafter, the test is over, and you're left to face the decisions you made while you possessed your free will unfettered by the knowledge of God. Heaven is being able to live with that, otherwise the painful Truth drives you to opt for oblivion. We're our own judges, S'my considered opinion anyway. We'll see...or not.

The World looks flat (evidence), therefore it is flat, because it looks flat. The reasoner begins with the evidence that "proves" the conclusion he set out to prove. The circular argument always involves some evidence, no matter how irrational or unfounded (e.g hearsay).

If you look for further supporting evidence for a supposition, and find some which is rational, but you dismiss it because it doesn't support your preconceived outcome, that's irrational. Ships sails go out of sight with distance, indicating a spherical Earth, but it still looks flat, so if you dismiss the new evidence, which irrational.

OK, I'm willing to concede that the universe/Big Bang has a cause. But there's no evidence that such a cause was either willful or natural. I personally believe that the cause was God, but that's based entirely on hope. That's the only difference between atheism and deism. I further believe that God set it up this way so that we would have unfettered free will--THE reason for the universe. Whatever this universe was created from or extruded into, appears to be a timeless ether or Quantumland, where quantum transactions are completed "immediately" without regard for distance.

It seems that if the universe is natural, that such a perfect lack of evidence for it's cause seems designed. Unfortunately, we can't use a lack of evidence as evidence.

Of your thousands of examples, could you please just present the summary, or name, of one?

God could come down and prove Itself to you. What good does that do me or anyone else. And in doing so, your moral free will would be undermined since all subsequent moral decisions you made would be divinely skewed by your knowledge that God is looking over your shoulder. You might as well have died at that point.

The only purpose for the universe is to spawn sentient creatures with unfettered free will. An omnipotent God could do anything else instantly.

No, I can't say you don't have some personal proof. But if you can't present any evidence of support for it, for me, it's pure hearsay, and I would be a fool to change my life and believe in it. Multiply yourself by 3 billion and what have I got? The same nothing, which is particularly troubling since I've been there and done that.

Anyone who follows a path based only on hearsay, is irrationally following an unreasonable path.

All I'm claiming is that there are only two possible causes for the universe that fits the evidence. You've yet to show evidence for a revealed religion that's based on anything other than hearsay, be it your own or someone else's. Your "nuh-uh" evaluation is an indication that your conversion was based on similar emotions.
Well there's more that indicates there is no water in hell. Enough that an episode of Rawhide began with the trail boss Gil Favor comparing hell to the Texas heat, "some say all that's wrong with hell is there's no water" Luke 16:24-25

So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Well there's more that indicates there is no water in hell. Enough that an episode of Rawhide began with the trail boss Gil Favor comparing hell to the Texas heat, "some say all that's wrong with hell is there's no water" Luke 16:24-25

So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

He who thinks Texas is hell has not been to the Persian Gulf when it gets to be 125 degrees with humidity to match. I'm sure Rowdy would agree.

Bird123

When one fails the test, the lessons return to educate. One can pass the test on the second try or the thousandth try.

You are right. There is always a choice of whether to live in the Light of Truth or not. That is never a worry. When one completely understands all sides, Intelligence will make the right choice. It's a bit like Math. In the end, there really is only one answer. Being stubborn or hard headed will not matter. There is no time limit on learning. The Ego will succumb to Intelligence.

arthra

Baha'i

I would suggest that morality isn't "in born" as you suggest... We learn things from each other... If the new born isn't cuddled early in life a distrust of others can develope later .. The parent - child relationships are also fundamental to the child as they mature and provide a model for handling frustrations and other issues as we mature...

Your belief that "...there is no God or laissez faire God" is of course your own. I would propose that the relationship between God and humanity can be gathered from a study of the influence of religious values in society as well as the lives of believers and Messengers of God can provide some evidences.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I would suggest that morality isn't "in born" as you suggest... We learn things from each other... If the new born isn't cuddled early in life a distrust of others can develope later .. The parent - child relationships are also fundamental to the child as they mature and provide a model for handling frustrations and other issues as we mature...

Your belief that "...there is no God or laissez faire God" is of course your own. I would propose that the relationship between God and humanity can be gathered from a study of the influence of religious values in society as well as the lives of believers and Messengers of God can provide some evidences.

The influence of religions? Sharia? Inquisition? Divinely directed genocide? Death for breaking the sabbath? Do you really wanna go there?

arthra

Baha'i
The influence of religions? Sharia? Inquisition? Divinely directed genocide? Death for breaking the sabbath? Do you really wanna go there?

No I want to go where there is the recognition of the oneness of mankind... the equality of men and women and where the extremes of wealth and poverty are reduced... Where there is a representative world parliament and an international court of arbitration. Where wars are no more...

http://www.bahai.com/Bahaullah/principles.htm