• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heading kind of off-grid, temporary generator edition - suggestions?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Not sure where to put this?

My long term plan is to go mostly off grid, and to be able to be self sustainable for long periods. It's also the case that our utility bills are going up really fast, year after year, and our co-op is predicting a steady 6-7% compounded raising of their rates in the coming years.

So I'm looking into solar, but that will take a year to get into place.

In the meantime, I want to get a new backup generator. Our old one is on it's last legs, and it's not powerful enough to start our well pump.

Anyone have any thoughts on generators? I'm thinking in the 7-10 kwatt range. But propane? Diesel? Gas? don't know, thoughts?

crossbody

My long term plan is to go mostly off grid, and to be able to be self sustainable for long periods. It's also the case that our utility bills are going up really fast, year after year, and our co-op is predicting a steady 6-7% compounded raising of their rates in the coming years.

In the meantime, I want to get a new backup generator. Our old one is on it's last legs, and it's not powerful enough to start our well pump.

Anyone have any thoughts on generators? I'm thinking in the 7-10 kwatt range. But propane? Diesel? Gas? don't know, thoughts?
Have you thought of ways to lower the utility bills? I would say strategize in that area a bit more. I have not had cable in the past ten years. No one needs cable. We can all shop better to where we stop wasting food. If we are able to do so working a second job helps. Have you looked into RV living. We have an RV campsite in my city and it is full of fancy RVs. That's just how those people have decided to live. I actually like it, but I don't own an RV. All of those generators have pros and cons. I can't recommend any of them.

Daemon Sophic

Sorry, I don’t have any knowledge about generators.
However, usually the largest single factor in utility bills is a lack of proper insulation in the house. Have you had it examined, and/or had the walls plus attic sprayed with insulation foam?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Anyone have any thoughts on generators? I'm thinking in the 7-10 kwatt range. But propane? Diesel? Gas?
I recommend either propane or nat gas, depending upon
which is your current fuel. Gasoline suffers from degradation
over time, even with stabilizers. Diesel is more stable &
efficient than gasoline.
Knowledgeable people I know hate Generac, but that's
what I bought, & it's been reliable. (They suffer from
pro-Onan prejudice.) I picked it only cuz I got a 70%
discount.
I recommend a system requiring minimal ******* around.
- Automatic transfer switch.
- Auto start-up & diagnostics weekly.
- Maintained by a contractor.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Natural Gas is the best if you can get it but then your not really living off the grid and the most expensive to install.
Propane would be next and you could consider yourself off grid.
Gasoline and Diesel are definitely the most off grid but also the highest run cost, most maintenance and highest amount of user interaction.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

I have no idea how helpful this will be, but since it is the extent of my knowledge on the subject....

My neighbor has one of these:

DuroMax XP10000HX Dual Fuel Portable Generator-10000 Watt Gas or Propane Powered Electric Start w/CO Alert, 50 State Approved, Blue

He absolutely loves it.

Shaul

Premium Member
Can the usage of the water pump be reduced? A passive rain capture system for grey water use can be done with low costs. Also the water pump could be augmented with a solar or wind powered alternative. Some locales have solar power collectives. Are there some in your location?