• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"He Ram He Ram" song by Jagjit Singh

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste forum,

Watched a video of Diwali celebrations including an arati to Rama Sita and Lakshmana, whose return from exile is celebrated during Diwali. The bhajan band performed a melodious song I was familiar with. It had also been sung by Sagjit Singh, an Indian singer I like very much. The translation of the lyrics I copied from somewhere long time ago, so if you got any comments, don’t hesitate to share them.

(I think it's a little funny that you can't hear any kids singing although they're in the video.)

Translation for the convert crowd:

Oh Ram, your name is the true name in this word.
You are mother, father, and you are Shyam of Radha.
You are knower of what is inside the heart, Lord of all.
The four abodes are in your feet.
You destroy, as well as create, all the works of this world.
You are the creator of this world.
You are the morning and evening.
Oh Ram, your name is the true name in this world.

Transliteration of the lyrics

Hey Ram, Hey Ram,
Jag Mein Sachu Tera Naam,
Tu Hi Mata, Tu Hi Pita Hai,
Tu Hi To Hai Radha Ka Shyam,
Hey Ram, Hey Ram, Hey Ram, Hey Ram,
Tu Antaryami, Sabka Swami,
Tere Charno Mein Charo Dham, Hey Ram, Hey Ram, Hey Ram, Hey Ram,
Tu Hi Bigade, Tu Hi Saware,
Is Jaag Ke Sare Kaam, Hey Ram, Hey Ram, Hey Ram, Hey Ram,
Tu Hi Jagra Data Vishv Vidhata,
Tu Hi Subah, Tu Hi Shaam Hey Ram, Hey Ram, Hey Ram, Hey Ram…

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Tere Charno Mein Charo Dham, Hey Ram, Hey Ram, Hey Ram, Hey Ram,
Tu Hi Bigade, Tu Hi Saware,

The four abodes are in your feet.
You destroy, as well as create, all the works of this world.

The meaning as I understand is a bit different. The four 'abodes' mentioned are not any four worlds, but the four places of pilgrimage set up by Sankaracharya in 8th Century in the four corners of India - Badrinath (Uttarkhand), Dwarika* (Gujarat), Rameshwaram (Tamilnadu) and Jagannatha Puri (Odisha).

frame_0_delay-0.07s.jpg

'Bigade' and 'Savare' refers to the fate of a person. Whether to mar it or make it, it is all the Lord's doing.
Lord Rama (with Mother Sita, the perfect couple) is still one of the closest to me (along with Shiva and Mother Parvati, the perfect couple), though I am a strong atheist.

*To use the correct spelling, means the 'door'. It was once a major port for trade between India and Middle-East (Dilmun).

Is Jaag Ke Sare Kaam,
Tu Hi Jagra Data Vishv Vidhata,

You are the one who does all things in the universe
You are the provider in the world, you are the Lord of fortunes.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I once sussed out the chords to play it on guitar... F maj and C maj... to play along with the recording. It sounded pretty good. Very rhythmic and mesmerizing. :)