• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hayyim Vital and Sefer Ha Peulot

martines

Hi,
two years ago, a friend of mine (unfortunately passed away ) gave me the Sefer ha Peulot by Hayyim Vital. Since I do not have a good knowledge of the Hebrew language, I ask if there is a translation in English, French, spanish, german, italian, of the Vital's book ? The only references to this work that I have found, are a interesting review by Eliezer Brodt and the study, unfortunately short, of Gerritt Boss. Thank you in advance for your reply!

Levite

Higher and Higher
I don't know about other languages, but I can say that I know of no complete and good quality translations of R. Chaim Vital's books into English.

Kabbalah has been slow to be translated, and every decent translation of any Kabbalistic work has been frank about their own inadequecies and insufficiencies. Hebrew and Aramaic are hard to translate in best cases, but Kabbalah, which is esoteric mysticism based in large part on subtle allusions, resonances, and wordplay, is nearly impossible to render with anything approaching faithfulness.

dantech

As Levite said, no translation can do Kabbalah justice... There are so many terms both Aramaic and Hebrew that are only used (to my knowledge) when reading Kabbalah. A Translator would have to translate so many words that probably don't even have correspondents in English.

Levite

Higher and Higher
As Levite said, no translation can do Kabbalah justice... There are so many terms both Aramaic and Hebrew that are only used (to my knowledge) when reading Kabbalah. A Translator would have to translate so many words that probably don't even have correspondents in English.

A great example of this is the Pritzker Edition translation of the Zohar, which is ongoing, being published in volumes by Daniel Matt. It's a wonderful piece of work, and Matt is the first one to tell the reader that it is incomplete, insufficient, and only a shadow of the original, at best. And probably more than half of each volume is footnotes, endnotes, forewords, and other clarifying scholarly appendages. They're wonderful books, truly amazing scholarship, but they're good for getting a sense of what the history, linguistics, ideas and concepts of the Zohar are, not for actually learning Kabbalah. You can barely get from them a faint resonance of the experience of actually learning from a sefer of Zohar, and that's no fault of Matt's. It just is what it is.

martines

Dears Levite and Dantech,
thank you for your reply. I agree with you, but let me add that it is a real shame not to have even a approximate translation of the treasures of Jewish mystical doctrine. In this regard I would like to make a request: Is it possible to have a approximate English translation of a page of the Vital's work (tomorrow I will do a scan of it) ? Thank you for your help!

Levite

Higher and Higher
thank you for your reply. I agree with you, but let me add that it is a real shame not to have even a approximate translation of the treasures of Jewish mystical doctrine. In this regard I would like to make a request: Is it possible to have a approximate English translation of a page of the Vital's work (tomorrow I will do a scan of it) ? Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately, while I'd love to help, this is my busiest season of the year: we just got done with High Holidays, one of our other major annual festivals starts tonight, and all my classes are just getting into gear. I am not likely to have time for anything like translating Kabbalah for weeks, if not months.

dantech

I'm sorry but not only do I have a similar schedule than Levite's but translating Kabbalah is just not something I want to get into. I will no doubt fail because, as I said earlier, it's just way to difficult, and maybe even impossible to translate such text.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

no problem. Thanks anyway !
I may try to translate a paragraph for you and see how it goes from there, but I cannot make any promises!
If you want to scan a specific part and share it perhaps I can take a look. But keep in mind I'm also going to be busy in the coming days, busy with vacation activities... but still busy :D

The problem with older Jewish texts, especially mystical ones is that they can be cryptic even for Hebrew speakers. So if I see I can't do justice to the text in translating it to in English I'll tell you.

martines

Dear Caladan,

thank you so much for your willingness and kindness. Tomorrow I'll scan a page of Vital's work. Thanks again !

martines

Dear Caladan,

please, a technical question: I made the scan of a page of Vital's work, but I dont' know how post it on forum. How can I solve the problem ? Thank you in advance for your willingness !

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Dear Caladan,

please, a technical question: I made the scan of a page of Vital's work, but I dont' know how post it on forum. How can I solve the problem ? Thank you in advance for your willingness !
The easiest way to post a photo on the forum is to upload it to your photo sharing account (on whichever website, for example photobucket) and then insert the photo link by pressing the photo icon when you type a post.
The photo icon is the square (they all are) yellow icon with the mountains and sun.

martines

Dear Caladan,

thank you for your reply, but I can not post the page because it is not has allowed me (only after 15 posts I can made it) ! Is there no other way to do this? Sorry to trouble you !

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Dear Caladan,

thank you for your reply, but I can not post the page because it is not has allowed me (only after 15 posts I can made it) ! Is there no other way to do this? Sorry to trouble you !
Well, before you reach 15 posts count maybe you can try to send me your scan via PM.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
OK Martines. I've taken a look at the page, which I am also going to share the scan of here for possible future inputs from other members of the Judaism DIR.
I'll start by giving a general overview of the content of this page. It is basically outlaying various magical formulas which aim for positive results. Such as inviting a specific angel who would appear in human form to teach you (apparently what you wish to be taught), or how to quiet a rough sea, or which angels to turn to in times of danger (Uriel, Tzuriel and Nuriel), how to regain a memory which you've forgotten by focusing on the Hebrew name of an angel and the vowels in the name, how to repel the evil eye, and how to track a thief.
I hope that this will satisfy you for now, as I realize I didn't go into all the details of the formulas and what they demand. It's also worth noting that it wouldn't be a simple task because unless you know Hebrew, I am not positive it will make sense to you.

SEFER-HA-PEULOT_zps0e1c3411.jpg

Last edited:

martines

Dear Caladan,

I understand very well your good reasons. Thanks so much anyway because is important to know, at least, the page's subject!

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Dear Caladan,

I understand very well your good reasons. Thanks so much anyway because is important to know, at least, the page's subject!
I agree, and I imagined your number one reason was to actually know what is in there ;)
Now that the page is scanned here, perhaps other members would find the time to throw in their two cents as well.