• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawking still making news.. haunting creationism.

Shad

Veteran Member
It is a good argument, it claims God is a mathematical principle which is valid independent of time.

Nope as there is no action, no thought. God as a mathematical principle is an empty assertion of philosophy

No magic is involved, only Platonism, that claims that mathematics is eternally and multiversally valid and exists beyond any individual universe.

This is just thought magic.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Anyone can be a theologian.

It's a wonderful game because there are no rules, no objective test for truth or falsity so you can never be wrong, magic is taken for granted, evidence is whatever comes into your head or out of whichever book takes your fancy, and the rest is up to you.
Theology isn't a science. It's a branch of philosophy. I suppose anyone could be a theologian or philosopher but that doesn't mean they're good at it. We can all offer our thoughts on the nature of things, but that doesn't make us Plato or Socrates. Knowledge and formal training in the area does count for something.

PuerAzaelis

Unknown Friend
This is not a good argument either as it merely uses "magic" to avoid issues.
It's a definition of "eternity". The real term for an infinite duration within time is "sempiternity". By definition an omniscient being is beyond time, the same way that a person in an art gallery is beyond the time of the painting he is observing.

Tomas Kindahl

... out on my Odyssé — again!
Nope as there is no action, no thought. God as a mathematical principle is an empty assertion of philosophy.

Actually, that's an empty statement in itself, and as such just metaphysics — which should be forbidden according to the Atheist faith.

This is just thought magic.

You achieve level 4 on a scale of Graham's hierarchy of disagreement:
Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg

pearl

If only someone would give us a definition of "God" useful to reasoned enquiry, maybe we could get somewhere with the question. Until then ...

Since God defies definition in human language that doesn't seem probable. Hawking has his final answer, with no way of communicating it.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since God defies definition in human language that doesn't seem probable. Hawking has his final answer, with no way of communicating it.
The trouble with God defying meaningful definition is that to speak of God is not to know what you're talking about.

Tomas Kindahl

... out on my Odyssé — again!
The trouble with God defying meaningful definition is that to speak of God is not to know what you're talking about.

Probably any workable definition of 'God' must also not include the all quantifier, in order to avoid being nonsential.

Shad

Veteran Member
Actually, that's an empty statement in itself, and as such just metaphysics — which should be forbidden according to the Atheist faith.

Nonsense.

You achieve level 4 on a scale of Graham's hierarchy of disagreement:

Nope. I refuted the central point by pointing out the inability to commit an action without time ergo the beyond time claim.

Shad

Veteran Member
It's a definition of "eternity".

No as eternity is still time related.

The real term for an infinite duration within time is "sempiternity". By definition an omniscient being is beyond time, the same way that a person in an art gallery is beyond the time of the painting he is observing.

Again these are just time references not being beyond time. More so this establish it is still restricted by time itself as it can not go out the boundaries of it. The only difference is the ability to navigate time differently than we can currently. God is a tardis.

Craig Sedok

Looks like Steven Hawking's last book "Brief Answers to Big Questions," is gaining some media attention of late.

He writes about the existence of God...

Black holes, like the universe before the Big Bang, condense into a singularity. In this ultra-packed point of mass, gravity is so strong that it distorts time as well as light and space. Simply put, in the depths of a black hole, time does not exist.

Because the universe also began as a singularity, time itself could not have existed before the Big Bang. Hawking's answer, then, to what happened before the Big Bang is, "there was no time before the Big Bang."

"We have finally found something that doesn’t have a cause, because there was no time for a cause to exist in," Hawking wrote. "For me this means that there is no possibility of a creator, because there is no time for a creator to have existed in."

Like the tome. Actions are louder than words. It was called work. That is why we exist. Plethora, Island, Hasbro, and even the land of the Lost. Artur was the only Hawkwing. Creator. A round table of carved legs. Hah, if there was ever a big bang it surely blew up before that chariot of a visionary of science walked up to that table. I do not believe in science. I am science. Map tis the boundary of thought.