• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Noticed This?

Treasure Hunter

Here is the claim:

Faith is at its highest when you have hit a rock bottom, when you have decided to make a stand during a trying time in your life. Is this true for you?

Here is another claim:

It’s when we have access to that part of us with high faith, during adversity and struggle, that we level up the most. Is this true for you?

If these two claims are true for you, has the benefit of leveling up outweighed the pain that was a catalyst for it?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Here is the claim:

Faith is at its highest when you have hit a rock bottom, when you have decided to make a stand during a trying time in your life. Is this true for you?

Here is another claim:

It’s when we have access to that part of us with high faith, during adversity and struggle, that we level up the most. Is this true for you?

If these two claims are true for you, has the benefit of leveling up outweighed the pain that was a catalyst for it?

I suppose the point of faith is where you let go of all of your doubts. The benefit of this is it allows you to freely move forward. Before your were in a place of indecision about what to do next. Faith provides a resolution to your indecision. I guess that is a good thing. Something you needed at the time.

However there is also a detriment to faith. It's a point at which you no longer question what you believe. Your choices base on what you believe can run you into trouble. Sometimes not and it works out for you but there is no guarantee.

I prefer to keep my doubt and instead let go of my fear of moving forward in the face of doubt. Then I can both move forward and continue to question what I believe. This sometimes allows me to see a better way of moving forward by understanding the mistakes I made in what I believe to be true and changing them to something that can work more reliably.

Treasure Hunter

I suppose the point of faith is where you let go of all of your doubts. The benefit of this is it allows you to freely move forward. Before your were in a place of indecision about what to do next. Faith provides a resolution to your indecision. I guess that is a good thing. Something you needed at the time.

However there is also a detriment to faith. It's a point at which you no longer question what you believe. Your choices base on what you believe can run you into trouble. Sometimes not and it works out for you but there is no guarantee.

I prefer to keep my doubt and instead let go of my fear of moving forward in the face of doubt. Then I can both move forward and continue to question what I believe. This sometimes allows me to see a better way of moving forward by understanding the mistakes I made in what I believe to be true and changing them to something that can work more reliably.
I’m speaking to something in a more extreme direction. Where it feels like you are not only being repeatedly checked by reality but cornered and painfully broken down. You access a level of faith (courage, tolerance for risk) that you wouldn’t have had access to otherwise, and you use that to level up.

You’re broken and you come out the other side better off than before. Has the benefit of leveling up outweighed the cost in those situations? If so, should you trust that it is a pattern of reality?

Treasure Hunter

I’m speaking to something in a more extreme direction. Where it feels like you are not only being repeatedly checked by reality but cornered and painfully broken down. You access a level of faith (courage, tolerance for risk) that you wouldn’t have had access to otherwise, and you use that to level up.

You’re broken and you come out the other side better off than before. Has the benefit of leveling up outweighed the cost in those situations? If so, should you trust that it is a pattern of reality?
In these situations, subjectively, death feels like a real possibility. The voice or sense experience in your body makes it feel as if death is encroaching on you. But at the end, you arrive at a place better than you were before.

What should we take away? That we were lucky to have not died and to take any precautions to never find ourselves back in that position? Or that we survived it once already, so we should feel a level of confidence about those situations?

RestlessSoul

What you may be talking about here, is the Gift of Desperation.

For some of us, it was at the lowest point of our lives that we discovered God cares for us humans, when we want Him and need Him enough to abandon ourselves utterly to His care, on His terms.

Treasure Hunter

What you may be talking about here, is the Gift of Desperation.

For some of us, it was at the lowest point of our lives that we discovered God cares for us humans, when we want Him and need Him enough to abandon ourselves utterly to His care, on His terms.
Right, so has the benefit outweighed the cost of your desperation point?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here is the claim:

Here is another claim:

It seems to me rock bottom is a situation that requires careful analysis and clear thinking. Decisions will have significant consequences in your life. In such a situation, fantasy based beliefs and decisions are the last thing you want.

Treasure Hunter

It seems to me rock bottom is a situation that requires careful analysis and clear thinking. Decisions will have significant consequences in your life. In such a situation, fantasy based beliefs and decisions are the last thing you want.
You are speaking from the outside though, yes? You have never accepted the position of being shattered by the rock, but instead resisted it through rationalization?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Well I can't say.
Yes I've reached that point in my life and faith benefited me.

But if the situation of my life had never gotten to that point? Where I never felt that level of desperation.

Obviously my life would have taken a different direction. Better or worse, IDK. I can only say it certainly would have been different.

Treasure Hunter

1000 times. My former suffering was the price of entry to a new life.
There is a part of the self that resisted the suffering in the name of protection. It had its own worldview, belief system, and truth. Then, there is the part that transcended all of that, surrendered to the place of vulnerability and desperation, and leveled up into new life. I call the former the low-faith-self (LFS) and the latter high faith (HFS).

Finally, there is the observer of the two. So three aspects of self. The LFS is the one behind the wheel as a default, but the observer can intervene.

I’m speaking to the observer in this thread. When the HFS got access to the steering wheel, you ended up in a better place with new life. The cost was pain and desperation. Still, you can see that it was worth enduring.

Speaking to the observer who can intervene on behalf of the HFS, how do you know that you’re not in a similar situation currently? Just like how you didn’t know there was new life waiting for you before, you may be unaware of new life waiting for you now.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Here is the claim:

Here is another claim:

Is faith supposed to guarantee something? That something miraculous occurs?

Only one thing that is true, is the only direction that one must go is always foreword regardless weither faith is a thing for someone or not.

Romanticism over the term faith really dosent "game the system" so to speak in whatever situation is going on at the time. There's nothing special about it. It's always going to be even keel with or without such notions.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yep. A situation can even become more compounded when expectations are not met.

Better to navigate through something realistically without expectations, in order to lesson the impact over whatever it is that a person is going through.

RestlessSoul

There is a part of the self that resisted the suffering in the name of protection. It had its own worldview, belief system, and truth. Then, there is the part that transcended all of that, surrendered to the place of vulnerability and desperation, and leveled up into new life. I call the former the low-faith-self (LFS) and the latter high faith (HFS).

Finally, there is the observer of the two. So three aspects of self. The LFS is the one behind the wheel as a default, but the observer can intervene.

I’m speaking to the observer in this thread. When the HFS got access to the steering wheel, you ended up in a better place with new life. The cost was pain and desperation. Still, you can see that it was worth enduring.

Speaking to the observer who can intervene on behalf of the HFS, how do you know that you’re not in a similar situation currently? Just like how you didn’t know there was new life waiting for you before, you may be unaware of new life waiting for you now.

There is always the potential, I think, for conscious beings to ascend to higher levels of consciousness.

Maybe for a higher self to be realised, it’s necessary for a part of the lower self (the ego, perhaps) to die. And it is this death which is the true cause of our pain, though this may manifest in many ways. Something old has to die, in order for something new to be born. And no birth is possible without pain, at least not for mammals.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Well, as long as you understand that how to cope is in part not just objective reason, logic and evidence. So you have to learn how you are in effect subjective as you and how you cope with that. To believe that you can do it with only objective reason, logic and evidence, is also a fantasy.

RestlessSoul

Faith is like believing that one must always go forward, resistance to turning around, and then letting go and turning around.

Sometimes letting go is like surrendering to win. We may arrive at a point in our lives where it’s only by admitting complete defeat, that we are able to overcome our problems. At such times, our greatest misfortune becomes our greatest blessing.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
True. Jumping off with nothing but faith isn't a very good idea.

Yeah, and everything is objective and independent of brains, for it in effect subjective coping.
So everything will kill me, if I don't do as you. And then I answer no, and then I am dead. And yet I am still here.