• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have Religions Outlived its Usefulness in The USA

Tabb

I don't think there's much reason to show favoritism to religions, such as by giving them tax breaks, or by subsidizing their private schools.

When you stop and think about it and if you're honest with yourself you know it's unfair to the nation.

Apple Sugar

I agree with what you are saying but my point is about tha US as a country. It would be un -American' to ban religion so people would still have their faith but why are we as a nation subsidizing religion with tax breaks and allowing one particular religion to have undue influence on our government. Some of the recent legislation passed is wrong for a secular nation.
Per the first part of your remarks: The first amendment insures we'll never ban religion. Also, all religions that qualify are entitled to IRS tax breaks, via 501(c)3, as well as other sources of government assistance.

To the second part: Specifically which legislation would you be referring to please?

Tabb

to : Apple Sugar

[Per the first part of your remarks: The first amendment insures we'll never ban religion. ]

I'm not suggesting banning religion. That would be insane and Un American.

[Also, all religions that qualify are entitled to IRS tax breaks, via 501(c)3, as well as other sources of government assistance. ]

They qualify because they influenced the government to make it the law.

[To the second part: Specifically which legislation would you be referring to please?[/QUOTE]]

Well for starters the tax breaks that you just mentioned. Also various social measures like banning same sex marriages, sunday blue laws , subsidies for religious schools, etc

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

This thread has been moved to General Religious Debates.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Religions have served a very important function to mankind's civilizational journey. Without it,many civilization would of never survived. Now we find ourselves at a crossroad.
The World has never seen a nation like ours before. We are a nation of multicultures where every race, religion, and nationality resides. Have we reached a point of diminishing returns when it comes to religions? Are religions actually hindering our development as a nation? Would we be better off without them?
I'm not suggesting that we ban religions, that would be disastrous to our moral compass not to mention the economy. What I am suggesting is that we act like the secular country that we should be. The government should stop subsidies to religion. Stop the tax deductions for donations, the tax free status of churches, and making laws that are influenced by religions. Religions have become economic and political powerhouses in this country through non believers inadvertent assistance. I could go on and on but what do you think?

Secularism means a separation of church and state, not a dismissal of religion. That means no laws should be passed that is preferential to one religion.

All people of all religions or lack of religion should receive equal treatment.

I think a lot of people still need the support of a religion. You don't but why take that away from others?

The laws says you will be treated equally to every other person. What else do you need?

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Religion itself isn't required anymore. Its like implanting a stint into someone's arm. Its no longer needed but it would take major surgery to get it out.

Tabb

Secularism means a separation of church and state, not a dismissal of religion. That means no laws should be passed that is preferential to one religion.

All people of all religions or lack of religion should receive equal treatment.

I think a lot of people still need the support of a religion. You don't but why take that away from others?

The laws says you will be treated equally to every other person. What else do you need?

OK, let me remind you of what i said in my original post.

"I'm not suggesting that we ban religions, that would be disastrous to our moral compass not to mention the economy. What I am suggesting is that we act like the secular country that we should be."

So I'm not anti religion except only when it pertains to Government.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Religions have served a very important function to mankind's civilizational journey. Without it,many civilization would of never survived. Now we find ourselves at a crossroad.
The World has never seen a nation like ours before. We are a nation of multicultures where every race, religion, and nationality resides. Have we reached a point of diminishing returns when it comes to religions? Are religions actually hindering our development as a nation? Would we be better off without them?
I'm not suggesting that we ban religions, that would be disastrous to our moral compass not to mention the economy. What I am suggesting is that we act like the secular country that we should be. The government should stop subsidies to religion. Stop the tax deductions for donations, the tax free status of churches, and making laws that are influenced by religions. Religions have become economic and political powerhouses in this country through non believers inadvertent assistance. I could go on and on but what do you think?
So, donations to, say, United Way or other non-profits can be tax-deductible, but not donations to churches?

To place churches in the tax loop blurs the separation of church and state.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

"I'm not suggesting that we ban religions, that would be disastrous to our moral compass not to mention the economy. What I am suggesting is that we act like the secular country that we should be."

But taxing religious institutions mixes church with state.

Apple Sugar

[Also, all religions that qualify are entitled to IRS tax breaks, via 501(c)3, as well as other sources of government assistance. ]

They qualify because they influenced the government to make it the law.
Actually they qualify due to the establishment clause of the U.S constitution.

[To the second part: Specifically which legislation would you be referring to please?[ ]

Well for starters the tax breaks that you just mentioned. Also various social measures like banning same sex marriages, sunday blue laws , subsidies for religious schools, etc
(The tax break matter was addressed above.) Many Sunday blue laws are being rescinded across the country. Same sex marriage is something that virtually all religions condemn. Subsidies for religious schools are not Christian specific and can be applied to all religions that support educational centers.

As a point of note, atheism was designated first amendment protection as a religion due to a court case years ago wherein an atheist inmate invoked religious rights while incarcerated. So as a matter of fact an atheistic learning center, or what is popping up now, atheistic churches, also qualify to apply for the tax exemptions and subsidies.

Tabb

So, donations to, say, United Way or other non-profits can be tax-deductible, but not donations to churches?

To place churches in the tax loop blurs the separation of church and state.

Is that so or is it the way you were conditioned to think. If a church starts a worthwhile charity, contributions to that would be tax deductible. Paying taxes has nothing to do with separation. Private enterprise has a separation from state and they pay taxes.

Tabb

Actually they qualify due to the establishment clause of the U.S constitution.

(The tax break matter was addressed above.) Many Sunday blue laws are being rescinded across the country. Same sex marriage is something that virtually all religions condemn. Subsidies for religious schools are not Christian specific and can be applied to all religions that support educational centers.

As a point of note, atheism was designated first amendment protection as a religion due to a court case years ago wherein an atheist inmate invoked religious rights while incarcerated. So as a matter of fact an atheistic learning center, or what is popping up now, atheistic churches, also qualify to apply for the tax exemptions and subsidies.

I got vision and you're wearing bifocals, you are quoting me laws. These laws were made from the influence of religion. It doesn't matter how long ago this happened it happened because of religion. Prohibition was a part of the constitution but it's gone now. The example of the Atheist learning center proves my point. Rather than rejecting a bogus claim they acquiesced because it might jeopardize Religious freedom of others. Just what happens in an Atheist Church?

As far as States dumping blue laws and some allowing same sex marriages, are just examples of an enlightenment happening in this country. I'm not talking about what is or was but what needs to be.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is that so or is it the way you were conditioned to think. If a church starts a worthwhile charity, contributions to that would be tax deductible. Paying taxes has nothing to do with separation. Private enterprise has a separation from state and they pay taxes.

And the government gets richer with no guarantee of anyone other than the government benefiting from those taxes.

Certainly no guarantee of any particular church benefiting anyone with that money either.

So whoever you trust/distrust more.
I suppose with a Church you can choose to contribute or not. Once a tax law is passed, not much choice there.

Tabb

And the government gets richer with no guarantee of anyone other than the government benefiting from those taxes.

Certainly no guarantee of any particular church benefiting anyone with that money either.

So whoever you trust/distrust more.
I suppose with a Church you can choose to contribute or not. Once a tax law is passed, not much choice there.

Government corruption is entirely a different subject for another thread. LOL

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

However we are already there, according to the law. You've won, nothing to complain about. is there?

I like religions, I think they are a cool cultural thing. The choice to respect their beliefs or not is up to you. No you can force you to.