• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone heard the story of musicians going down to the crossroads?

Two-bit guru

There are different stories about musicians going down to a certain crossroads, making a pact with the Devil and becoming extraordinarily skillful at their art. Some folks say in these Faustian tales that there's a vial of dirt involved, or a full moon, or that it occurs at midnight. The price the Devil demands, of course, is the person's soul.

I've heard these stories in relation to Southern American musicians and wonder if there are other similar urban legends from other places. Anyone ever heard of this?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
There are different stories about musicians going down to a certain crossroads, making a pact with the Devil and becoming extraordinarily skillful at their art. Some folks say in these Faustian tales that there's a vial of dirt involved, or a full moon, or that it occurs at midnight. The price the Devil demands, of course, is the person's soul.

I've heard these stories in relation to Southern American musicians and wonder if there are other similar urban legends from other places. Anyone ever heard of this?

I think it's probably an analogy for getting involved in the music industry. :p

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I remember years ago, I heard about an old blues singer/guitarist Robert Johnson selling his soul to the devil so he could be famous. I can't remember what channel it was on, my husband was watching it and I just happened to be in the room. Robert Johnson was way back- in the 40s or 50s, I think. He is dead now.

shanedawson

25 characters isn't enoug
I remember years ago, I heard about an old blues singer/guitarist Robert Johnson selling his soul to the devil so he could be famous. I can't remember what channel it was on, my husband was watching it and I just happened to be in the room. Robert Johnson was way back- in the 40s or 50s, I think. He is dead now.

Robert Johnson was active in the 30's, he died in '38. :p

Yeah, he is said to have sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads to be the best guitarist in the world.

Quite a few to the top bands of the 60's were influenced by his music, Eric Clapton and The Rolling Stones included.

Skwim

Veteran Member
There was a movie in 1986 called Crossroads starring Ralph Macchio, Joe Seneca and Jami Gertz, which was inspired by the legend of blues musician Robert Johnson.
220px-Crossroadsposter1986.jpg

"Ralph Macchio is Lightning Boy. A kid who can make a slide guitar sing. Blind Dog is an old pro who knows it.
Together, they're headed to a place where deals are made. And legends are born."
source

Verry good movie.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Robert Johnson was active in the 30's, he died in '38. :p

Yeah, he is said to have sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads to be the best guitarist in the world.

Quite a few to the top bands of the 60's were influenced by his music, Eric Clapton and The Rolling Stones included.

Thanks, I knew he was old time, but I wasn't sure when. My brother listens to Robert Johnson.

Two-bit guru

Robert Johnson is for sure the epitome of the crossroads legend but lots of other musicians have been associated with the crossroads, or with a similar sale of one's soul to the devil, like Eric Clapton (album Crossroads), Charlie Daniels' Devil Went Down to Georgia, and Cream.

In director Martin Scorcese's documentary about Bob Dylan, No Direction Home, Dylan responds to the question as to how he went from being a folk musician doing other people's music to a creative force in music nearly overnight. Dylan's sly response was, "Maybe I went down to the crossroads."
Maybe he did ...

cablescavenger

Last I heard the Devil went down to Georgia