• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has any other God claimed to be the only God?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
lilithu said:
And in the Hebrew bible, this multiplicity is reflected in its writings ...
There is substantial philological evidence showing that "this multiplicity" is identical to, and derivative of, the language of West Semitic polytheism out of which post-exilic Judaism evolved.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Jayhawker Soule said:
There is substantial philological evidence showing that "this multiplicity" is identical to, and derivative of, the language of West Semitic polytheism out of which post-exilic Judaism evolved.
Which could have been edited out and yet was not.

greatcalgarian

lilithu said:
I'm just telling you what's in the Hebrew language that gets lost when you translate to English. You can interpret it however you want. I, however, would not call God a "phase-shifter" who changes sex at will. That still envisions God as a being like us, who has a specified gender. I would say that God is both male and female and both singular and plural. I would say that it's equally valid to refer to God as either male or female and either singular or plural. And in the Hebrew bible, this multiplicity is reflected in its writings whereas in the Christian bible, our understanding of God has been limited to singular maleness.
Okay, I presume the Catholic dogma of Trinity just need some modification and Made God the father become God the Mother, the son and holy spirit remain as before, then we would have incorporated your idea of God (both male and female)? Or would it be better to include Mary into the Trinity and made it the quadity? I must be talking nonsense, it is 12 mid night. Goodnite every one.