• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harvesting Energy at Night: Solar Cell Keeps Working Long After Sun Sets

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I know there are a lot of "get a horse" people when it comes to new technology. This is especially notable when it comes to non-fossil fuel sources of energy. Personally I've never gone wrong by betting on technology improving over time. This is one example of a potential breakthrough. I've highlighted the key sentence in the story. We'll see if it can be commercialized and made cost-effective but I'd bet it can with some R&D.

Harvesting energy from the temperature difference between photovoltaic cell, surrounding air leads to a viable, renewable source of electricity at night.

About 750 million people in the world do not have access to electricity at night. Solar cells provide power during the day, but saving energy for later use requires substantial battery storage.

In Applied Physics Letters, by AIP Publishing, researchers from Stanford University constructed a photovoltaic cell that harvests energy from the environment during the day and night, avoiding the need for batteries altogether. The device makes use of the heat leaking from Earth back into space – energy that is on the same order of magnitude as incoming solar radiation.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I know there are a lot of "get a horse" people when it comes to new technology. This is especially notable when it comes to non-fossil fuel sources of energy. Personally I've never gone wrong by betting on technology improving over time. This is one example of a potential breakthrough. I've highlighted the key sentence in the story. We'll see if it can be commercialized and made cost-effective but I'd bet it can with some R&D.

Harvesting energy from the temperature difference between photovoltaic cell, surrounding air leads to a viable, renewable source of electricity at night.

About 750 million people in the world do not have access to electricity at night. Solar cells provide power during the day, but saving energy for later use requires substantial battery storage.

In Applied Physics Letters, by AIP Publishing, researchers from Stanford University constructed a photovoltaic cell that harvests energy from the environment during the day and night, avoiding the need for batteries altogether. The device makes use of the heat leaking from Earth back into space – energy that is on the same order of magnitude as incoming solar radiation.
Something wrong here.
I quote:
"Using electricity at night for lighting requires a few watts of power. The current device generates 50 milliwatts per square meter, which means lighting would require about 20 square meters of photovoltaic area".
These numbers imply that 20m² of solar cells only give you a miserable 1W of night time power. You can't light even a single room with that.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Also known as a Peltier Element. Ancient stuff.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Batteries themselves are not sustainable. For example, Lithium is rare, toxic and hard to dispose of. We need to promote and research non-battery alternatives for storing power:

- "two pond" hydro storage systems
- compressed gas
- flywheels
- massive "coo-coo clock" storage systems

And others.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Something wrong here.
I quote:
"Using electricity at night for lighting requires a few watts of power. The current device generates 50 milliwatts per square meter, which means lighting would require about 20 square meters of photovoltaic area".
These numbers imply that 20m² of solar cells only give you a miserable 1W of night time power. You can't light even a single room with that.
It's a start I suppose.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Batteries themselves are not sustainable. For example, Lithium is rare, toxic and hard to dispose of. We need to promote and research non-battery alternatives for storing power:

- compressed gas
- flywheels

And others.
Green proponents rarely talk about lithium mining. Cobalt mining as well.

I think non battery alternatives are a good direction.

I like bio diesel atm.

exchemist

Veteran Member

- compressed gas
- flywheels

And others.
Lithium itself is not that rare (though high grade deposits may be), nor is it very toxic, but you are quite right that Li batteries have toxic components, mainly due to their associated heavy metal content (Pb, Ni, Co,Cu etc).

Potential Environmental and Human Health Impacts of Rechargeable Lithium Batteries in Electronic Waste

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Something wrong here.
I quote:

3W LED is equivalent to a 25W incandescent. For people who have no nighttime light, this can be significant.

But the big point is that it's a lab experiment. The article itself talked about engineering improvements based on the great potential. I'm mindful of solar cell efficiency improvements:

1280px-Best-research-cell-efficiencies-rev220126_pages-to-jpg-0001.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

exchemist

Veteran Member
3W LED is equivalent to a 25W incandescent. For people who have no nighttime light, this can be significant.

But the big point is that it's a lab experiment. The article itself talked about engineering improvements based on the great potential. I'm mindful of solar cell efficiency improvements:

1280px-Best-research-cell-efficiencies-rev220126_pages-to-jpg-0001.jpg
The thermocouple, which is what this seems to use, has been around for more than a century. I see a fundamental problem in the small magnitude of the temperature difference they are trying to exploit, whereas a solar cell takes in energy in the form of a radiation distribution corresponding to the surface temperature of the sun. But no doubt we shall see if this gets anywhere.