• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter

Do you think Harry Potter is evil or has any bad conotaitons with it?

• Yes

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 43 87.8%
  • Haven't read the books

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Whose Harry Potter?

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
FFH said:
I know enough to know that the kids in the Chronicle of Narnia series do not try to "levitate" anything. Clearly a Satanic ritual.
Are you TRYING to make yourself look like a goose? Because you're suceeding mightily.

Bishka

Veteran Member
You know what, I will pay anyone to show me a satanic ritual in Harry Potter, go ahead, show me. :)

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
FFH said:
I have seen enough and read enough to know it was written and produced by a different spirit than the Chronicles of Narnia.
I've got nothing to say to this but -->:biglaugh:
FFH said:
I got the jist of the book by doing my own research. I used to teach 8 year olds, in sunday school, as their sunday school teacher and they would talk to me about Harry Potter. They would bring the books to church. We would talk about it. The kids were reciting, in their homes, some of the incantaions and said that they had tried them to see if they really worked. Evil incantaions are scattered thoughout the Harry Potter series.
Hmm, let me see if I've got this right: the kids recited the incantations, and *shock, horror* they didn't work? Obviously then, they weren't evil incantations, were they. As has been pointed out by others, they were made up, fiction: they were never going to do anything (except perhaps get the nerdy kids interested in Latin - what a shocking and ghastly thing to do!!:eek: ). Kids being kids though, they had to try - and there is no harm in that because, repeat after me: it was all made up and harmless. I remember spinning around and around as a kid until I got dizzy and fell over - but I never did turn into Wonder Woman. :p Get a grip.
FFH said:
What is this teaching our kids? Recite a certain verse and you will experience a certain result?
Well, to borrow someone else's words: sounds remarkably like prayer to me. :D

Not only do I find your comments in this thread to be (at the very least) bizarre, but your frantic urging for all the Harry Potter fans to "give the Chronicles of Narnia a chance" is absurdedly redundant. In all probability, those HP fans who do not already know and enjoy CoN would like it anyway, since both series are (wait for it) fantasy.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
FFH said:
I know enough to know that the kids in the Chronicle of Narnia series do not try to "levitate" anything. Clearly a Satanic ritual.
i disagree with this on so many levels :149:

why don't we start by hearing what you understand satanism to be :rolleyes: - maybe this is worthy of another thread, bu ti think it is important for you ot understand why "trying to levitate a table" is not a "satanic" ritual in the derogatory sense of the term

FFH

Veteran Member
Mike182 said:
i disagree with this on so many levels :149:

why don't we start by hearing what you understand satanism to be :rolleyes: - maybe this is worthy of another thread, bu ti think it is important for you ot understand why "trying to levitate a table" is not a "satanic" ritual in the derogatory sense of the term
I agree with you on the point about levitation. Levitation in and of itself is not a Satanic thing. Jesus walked on water and so did Peter. The thing that is Satanic is reciting a certain verse or incantation to achieve that goal which is levitation. I prefer prayer, faith and the reading of the scriptures in order to draw upon the powers of God, in order to get what I want. I only think that kids are being fead the wrong idea about how to get what they want.

True Satan does have the power to levitate objects and possibly people too. I know that God has this power as well. The whole arguement that I have is that kids are learning to draw upon the powers of Satan for the things that they desire, by reciting certain incantations, made up or real, fiction or fantasy, it does not matter. They need to draw upon God for the things that they desire. Recite verses from the Bible, instead of certain Latin phrases, which is a clever way to disguise what is really being said in these incantations. Translate the Latin phrases and I am sure you would be surprised at what they say.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
FFH said:
I used to teach 8 year olds, in sunday school, as their sunday school teacher and they would talk to me about Harry Potter. They would bring the books to church. We would talk about it. The kids were reciting, in their homes, some of the incantaions and said that they had tried them to see if they really worked. Evil incantaions are scattered thoughout the Harry Potter series.
:biglaugh: They were KIDS! When I was little I used to say I saw dinosaurs and alligators in our back yard and pond! Never thought broken Latin would have such power over people :rolleyes: :biglaugh:

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
FFH said:
Recite verses from the Bible, instead of certain Latin phrases, which is a clever way to disguise what is really being said in these incantations. Translate the Latin phrases and I am sure you would be surprised at what they say.
Translate the Latin phrases, and I am sure YOU would be surprised that they say exactly what you would expect them to say, given the function of the spell in which they are used.

Some examples:

Apparecium: Latin Root: appareo to become visible/appear/manifest.
Used to make invisible ink visible.

Colloportus: Latin Root: colligo to bind/tie/fasten together
porta gate/entrance
Oddly enough, a spell used to bind doors.

Expecto Patronum: Latin Root: exspecto to look for/expect/await/wait for
patronus patron/protector
This spell...wait for it, summons a patronus!Which is a protector! Who'd have thought?!

Lumos: Latin Root: luma light
Makes a light!

Nox: Latin Root: nox darkness
Puts the light out!

Next argument? This is just too easy.:sarcastic

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FFH said:
I agree with you on the point about levitation. Levitation in and of itself is not a Satanic thing. Jesus walked on water and so did Peter. The thing that is Satanic is reciting a certain verse or incantation to achieve that goal which is levitation. I prefer prayer, faith and the reading of the scriptures in order to draw upon the powers of God, in order to get what I want. I only think that kids are being fead the wrong idea about how to get what they want.

True Satan does have the power to levitate objects and possibly people too. I know that God has this power as well. The whole arguement that I have is that kids are learning to draw upon the powers of Satan for the things that they desire, by reciting certain incantations, made up or real, fiction or fantasy, it does not matter. They need to draw upon God for the things that they desire. Recite verses from the Bible, instead of certain Latin phrases, which is a clever way to disguise what is really being said in these incantations. Translate the Latin phrases and I am sure you would be surprised at what they say.
Avery interesting thought (about the levitation). I do believe that we all have (deep within us) the power to do a Jesus did (to heal), as some of us do, by the laying on of hands, but that growing up in a material world makes one lose touch with those inherent abilities.

I'd love to be able to levitate (be jolly useful in a traffic queue):D , and I do healing; I use Reiki, with a mixture of prayer; basically I allow myself to be a 'conduit' for the healing powers of God - and I can honestly say I have felt myself being 'used'. Everytime, it hits me as being the greatest honour.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
OK... in my new Ridgeline I perform "magic" all the time.

I say the "spell" AUDIO! and the radio comes on. XM RADIO switches it to XM radio. CHANNEL 123 puts it to the CNN channel! NEAREST RESTAURANT gives me a selection of restaurants and when I select one, it tells me how to get there! I love this magical world I live in! :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:

I say the "spell" AUDIO! and the radio comes on. XM RADIO switches it to XM radio. CHANNEL 123 puts it to the CNN channel! NEAREST RESTAURANT gives me a selection of restaurants and when I select one, it tells me how to get there! I love this magical world I live in! :D
you wicked nasty evil person you...........I always thought your eyes were too close to each other...........:biglaugh:

SoyLeche

meh...
NetDoc said:

You're going to Hell for saying those evil incantations

SoyLeche

meh...
NetDoc said:

Come to think of it, I own this magic wand that I point at my television and can get the pictures on it to change. I don't even have to say anything - I just think and move my fingers in a magic sort of way, and -- Poof -- I get to watch what I want.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
SoyLeche said:
Come to think of it, I own this magic wand that I point at my television and can get the pictures on it to change. I don't even have to say anything - I just think and move my fingers in a magic sort of way, and -- Poof -- I get to watch what I want.
Well I can better that! I have a magic wand that can cast spells on various things in the house; it's a multi wand......so there.:D

SoyLeche

meh...
michel said:
Well I can better that! I have a magic wand that can cast spells on various things in the house; it's a multi wand......so there.:D
You are a much more powerful wizard, apparently. Are you sure you aren't a follower of "You Know Who"?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
FFH said:

you missed the point of my post - i was trying to illustrate that it is not right that you should imply a derogatory and false image of a certain group, because i do not think you understand what satanism actually is as a religion in its own right

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If Harry Potter teaches "real magic," then why was Hollywood magic required to create the magical effects we see on screen?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Jensa said:
:biglaugh: They were KIDS! When I was little I used to say I saw dinosaurs and alligators in our back yard and pond! Never thought broken Latin would have such power over people :rolleyes: :biglaugh:
t'was shadow ninjas in my back yard, but its ok everyone, i always won :D