• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

jewscout

Religious Zionist
hmmm The Passion or Harry Potter.....which one would i have my kid watch....................................
sorry Mel the boy wizard wonder wins again!

JerryL

I'll be glad to do that as soon as you show me where God condemned doing good in the face of evil!
God does not. The problem is that what you are asserting as good is not good.

nutshell

JerryL said:
God does not. The problem is that what you are asserting as good is not good.
Only according to your opinion and interpretation, which everyone else seems to disagree with.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
What part about seeking the truth is not good?

What part about being loyal to friends is not good?

What part about defeating evil is not good?

I must say, that I find your constant trollish behaviours merely argumentative for argument's sake. I come here to exchange views, and not participate in some sophomoric dialogue, where the goal is merely "to win".

JerryL

Only according to your opinion and interpretation, which everyone else seems to disagree with.
Do we really want to go off on this topic? I'm more than willing to reiterate why, Biblically, I'm correct and you are not.

I must say, that I find your constant trollish behaviours merely argumentative for argument's sake. I come here to exchange views, and not participate in some sophomoric dialogue, where the goal is merely "to win".
You are adding vocabulary to your rants. Possibly a good thing, but you really need to work on using them accurately.

And if you've come to exchange views, you are doing an excellent job of hiding that goal based on your post.

Now show me where God has condoned using evil in the face of evil.

nutshell

JerryL said:
Do we really want to go off on this topic? I'm more than willing to reiterate why, Biblically, I'm correct and you are not.
That's the whole point. You're only correct according to your interpretation, which no one else holds.

JerryL

That's the whole point. You're only correct according to your interpretation, which no one else holds.
I'll take that as a "yes, Jerry, I really want to hash this out again here".

What anyone else holds (and by the way, there are a few billion people closer to my interpretation than yours), is entirely irrelevent (it's an appeal to popularity fallacy). It's even more irrellevent than the ad hominym of me pointing out your bias to force-conform the texts to your personal beliefs... a bias I lack as I don't really care what they say.

What I've asserted is, to the best of my ability to tell, correct. I'm well-familiar with the counter-arguments (which you've been vastly unable to enunciate), and they are quite hollow. Your positions are entirely unBiblical.

Let's take one: that reliance on yourself is a good thing. This is an unbiblical position. I offer up the tower of Babel as an example of God disliking reliance on yourself. What can you offer in support of your position that self-reliance is a good thing (other than "you think it is")?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hey, guys! If you really wish to continue this debate, please start another thread in religious or general debates. I'd even be willing to be one part of the one-on-one, but please don't continue it in this thread. :) Thanks!

JerryL

FeathersinHair said:
Hey, guys! If you really wish to continue this debate, please start another thread in religious or general debates. I'd even be willing to be one part of the one-on-one, but please don't continue it in this thread. :) Thanks!
[making face like 5-year-old] He started it! ;)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
JerryL said:
[making face like 5-year-old] He started it! ;)
Well, this is your chance to prove you are the 'grown up' and stop rising to the bait............:biglaugh:

Dark_Waltz

nutshell said:
My wife and I saw "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" the other day (loved it!), and before the movie they showed a trailer for the upcoming Harry Potter movie. I admit I love Harry Potter and am really looking forward to the movie.

I have two questions:

For the Christians: Do you believe reading/watching Harry Potter can have a negative effect on a Christian and if so, why do you believe this?

For the Wiccans: How does Harry Potter affect teaching others about your beliefs? Does it help or hinder?
I think Harry Potter is a delightful story and JK Rowling earnt her money and I am so pleased for her real life Cinderella story.

Many people think this is Magic and it represents witches/wiccans people who work within the magical rites,
Please it is a joke, it is like saying Lord of the rings relfects life in New Zealand,
Most people do infact understand its a beautiful story and nothing more,
Occasionally you do get younger people wanting to be able to give themselves titles such as witches or wizards (Never met anyone who calls themselves the latter)

We call them fluffy bunnies simply because their interest in paganism is founded by somthing quite shallow, but if someone truly wants to learn then common misconceptions are soon pushed aside

Ernestine

Magic and spiritism is the work of the Devil and his demons. God's word condemns it even if it is disguised under the category of entertainment. Galations 5: 19-21, "Now the works of the flesh are manifest and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, PRACTICE OF SPIRITISM, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects...those who practice such things will not inherit God's Kingdom".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ernestine said:
Magic and spiritism is the work of the Devil and his demons. God's word condemns it even if it is disguised under the category of entertainment. Galations 5: 19-21, "Now the works of the flesh are manifest and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, PRACTICE OF SPIRITISM, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects...those who practice such things will not inherit God's Kingdom".
It doesn't seem to me that you make a very strong case for God's word condemning magic and spiritualism as entertainment, merely as practice.

Dark_Waltz

Ernestine said:
Oh I think thats a bit extreme, what about fairy stories then?
Out of personal interest are angels not spirits?

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
It's the Christian fear of the unknown and things that distract them from worshipping God endlessly. I'm surprised they can love other humans, being so busy glorifying God and reading the Bible. That, and the bible was written in superstitious times, when practice of mysticism and things of that nature were considered dangerous even by non-Christians. Now...it's only bad if someone believes that they can summon the devil or that they have to kill people to perform magick, etc.

Dark_Waltz

Dunno when I was 14 and the vicars wife caught me playing with tarot cards she blasted me and felt the need to perform a series of laying on hands and many quite loud prayers....now I come to think of it I am pretty sure she wasnt allowed to do it but meh
Its still frightfully looked down upon.
Oh well my bad *rollseyes*

nutshell

As a side note...my wife and I went to the first midnight showing of Harry Potter in our area and loved it. It was a lot of fun.

Be warned, however, the movie deserves its PG-13 rating. Leaving the theater, my wife said she felt bad for the small children who were sitting behind us.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've known so many women who were into playing with tarot cards and magic around the age of 12 or so, that I almost believe it must be a rite of passage for females.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
nutshell said:
Be warned, however, the movie deserves its PG-13 rating. Leaving the theater, my wife said she felt bad for the small children who were sitting behind us.
I haven't seen the movie (hopefully going to while in MI!), but I would fully agree. The book, alone, was enough to give me nightmares, and I was around 24 when I read it. I don't have any kids, but if I took my younger cat, Momiji, to the movie, I think I would spend half the movie trying to cover his eyes.