• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Naw-Ruz 166 B.E.!

arthra

Baha'i
Baha'is observe Naw-Ruz as New Years Day. Naw-Ruz is coming up later this week starting around evening March 20th and during the day on March 21st. It's also what is known as the Vernal Equinox.

For Baha'is Naw-Ruz will celebrate the year 166 B.E. (Baha'i Era) of the Badi Calendar (also known as the Baha'i Calendar). The Nineteen day Fast also ends with Naw-Ruz. Baha'is date their calendar from the year 1844 of the Gregorian Calendar and 1260 AH of the Muslim Calendar.

The Baha'i Calendar has nineteen months with nineteen days in each month for 361 days. Four or five intercalary days are added to make the 365 day calendar and an extra day is added for leap years.

Around the Baha'i world Baha'is will gather together and celebrate .. Some will have picnics that day... Because it is a Holy Day Baha'is will not be working or going to school that day.

Naw-Ruz is also the ancient Persian New Year observed by Zoroastrians and Shiah Muslims in Iran and Afghanistan. Ancient Assyrians/Syrians also observed March 21st as their New Year Akitu and this was introduced around 700 BCE.

- Art:yes:

arthra

Baha'i
2377.jpg

arthra

Baha'i
Actually it's still timely so thank you very much! We will start Naw-Ruz this evening after sunset!

- Art

Dear Arthra,

Happy Naw Ruz, and thanks for this thread!

It was just 100 years ago when Abdul-Baha burried the remains of the Bab in its Shrine in Haifa, Israel. People who were present reported that after it was finished, Abdul-Baha cried in such a way that everybody around him cried too.

This really touches me. Abdul-Baha is the one who told pilgrims not to cry, that they should be happy! I can't imagine Abdul-Baha not happy. But what a weight off Abdul-Baha's shoulder this must have been.

For a bit of background, the Bab was executed in Iran in the mid-1800. Obviously, his executioners were not going to give Him a pompous funeral. They threw the remains somewhere, and somehow, the followers of the Bab managed to find that place, take the remains, and hide them for many years in a box. The box was moved regularly from house to another, to make it harder for the authorities to find it.

Baha'u'llah, who was exiled from Iran to Israel, showed the Baha'is where to build the Shrine of the Bab. 15 years after the passing of Baha'u'llah, His son (Abdul'Baha) burried the remains. 15 years with rumors that he might be crucified. 15 years which must have had their shares of uncertainties, and unpleasant events.

When I think about the 60 years of this box being moved from one place to another secretly, finally arriving to its final destintion in Israel, and on the other hand, when I think of the 15 years of Abdul'Baha, where he was still under the status of prisoner (the baha'i prisoners gained some freedom over time, but their movement were very restricted), I can start to appreciate the relief Abdul-Baha must have felt when for him, it was all over. He had bought the land, he had build a simple building, the remains of the Bab had arrived, and on this Baha'i holy day, he could lay the remains where they would finally rest in peace.

It was a big step for the Baha'i world too, though for us, there was still a lot to do: more land to buy, a larger structure to beautify the Shrines, gardens to grow, terraces to build... The terraces were only finished in 2001. And who knows what will happen in the future. I could go on and on with this post. But I shouldn't stray too far from what matters to me the most:

100 years ago, Abdul-Baha cried.