• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Immaculate Conception

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
For those who believe in this Marian dogma, Happy Immaculate Conception.
If you are interested in discussing and debating this dogma, feel free to express your vision.
:)

Bthoth

*banned*
For those who believe in this Marian dogma, Happy Immaculate Conception.
If you are interested in discussing and debating this dogma, feel free to express your vision.
:)
Can anyone show me, where in the commandments that having sex is a sin?

The term is not about virgin birth.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Can anyone show me, where in the commandments that having sex is a sin?

The term is not about virgin birth.
It's a dogma whose source is an Apocrypha.
The Proto-Evangelium of James.

Mary was conceived naturally, by her own parents, Anne and Joachim.
But without the stain of original sin, since she was born thanks to God's concession.
This is called Immaculate Conception. Immaculate means without original sin.

GardenLady

When I was still Catholic, I was disturbed by these doctrines that separated Mary from the rest of humanity, rather than merely celebrating her as someone who said "yes" to God at significant risk. One Catholic apologist described it this way: She had to be sinless to bear the Christ child; she was the Ark of the New Covenant. I don't find that particularly persuasive. God chose a human to bear the Christ--why should she not be fully human?

While I attended a Catholic school as a child, we had the day off for this Holy Day, though all Catholics were required to attend mass. I was happy about having the day off because it's my birthday.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When I was still Catholic, I was disturbed by these doctrines that separated Mary from the rest of humanity, rather than merely celebrating her as someone who said "yes" to God at significant risk.
Read it carefully. In neither Matthew nor Luke is Mary given an opportunity to say yes or no. She is thus a rape victim.

Nor is she told that the purpose of her bearing a child is entirely so that child can go on a suicide mission.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Read it carefully. In neither Matthew nor Luke is Mary given an opportunity to say yes or no. She is thus a rape victim.

Nor is she told that the purpose of her bearing a child is entirely so that child can go on a suicide mission.
What are you talking about? She could've said no to Gabriel. Instead she said "let it be to me according to your word" (Luke 1:38). That sounds like consent to me. If she didn't go along with it, God's plan would not have worked out. It requires humans to work with Him. (There was also no sex involved, so I don't see how it's rape.)

Christianity does not teach that the "entire" point of Jesus' incarnation is for Him to die. That's not true at all. As I understand it, He would've incarnated regardless of if the crucifixion had happened or not or even if the fall of man had happened or not. The crucifixion is not the most important part of Christ's mission or Christianity, believe it or not. Easter is the most important day of the Christian calendar, not Good Friday. He was going to die one way or another, as we all do.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What are you talking about? She could've said no to Gabriel. Instead she said "let it be to me according to your word" (Luke 1:38).
Ah, you're right. I apologize for my error. Only in Matthew is there no consent.

Christianity does not teach that the "entire" point of Jesus' incarnation is for Him to die. That's not true at all.
Jesus says right at the start, in Mark 2:20, that his mission is to end in death.

And in all versions, Jesus refuses to escape from Jerusalem, prays to God to be let off the death clause, but then agrees to go on with his death as planned, provokes Pilate, and makes sure he's crucified.

As I understand it, He would've incarnated regardless of if the crucifixion had happened or not or even if the fall of man had happened or not. The crucifixion is not the most important part of Christ's mission or Christianity, believe it or not. Easter is the most important day of the Christian calendar, not Good Friday. He was going to die one way or another, as we all do.
You can't have a resurrection story without a death story. And Jesus was always intended to die, and behaved as above in all the gospels.